Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Does the yaw axis of the gimbal really make much difference?
3570 5 2015-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paul
lvl.3

United States

One of the things I dislike about the P2V+ (and I'm pretty sure the P3 also) is the flimsiness of the gimbal.  I was pondering ways it could have been designed to be more durable.

Well, it seems to me the yaw axis isn't doing much.  If it were replaced with solid structure, we would have a more durable gimbal with less weight.  (Replacing windings, magnet, and a bit of steel with aluminum.)  But how would it affect our photography? Consider...

* If you move your drone forward or back, the pitch axis keeps the camera level because the pitch of the drone is affected.
* If you move to port or starboard, the roll axis helps similarly.
* BUT... If you rotate about the yaw axis, the camera would remain level anyway.  The gimbal might "lag behind" the yaw of the drone a little, starting slowly and landing at its finishing point smoothly, but this could just as easily have been accomplished with the firmware that controls flight.

To my knowledge, and I may be mistaken, if a drone is stationary, wind can affect pitch and roll quite easily, as it fights to remain in one place per GPS lock.  Of course the gimbal compensates.  But wind very rarely "rotates" a quadcopter uless it catches a gust on only one side.  (And how often does that actually happen?)

Unlike the Inspire, the intended "front" of the drone is always where we intend to point the camera.  So, I'm wondering if the yaw axis of the gimbal even helps  much, and if it's even worth the extra mechanical vulnerabilities brought about by its existence.  I'm inclined to say no.  And I think any "smoothing out" of the yaw axis could have been handled with flight firmware.

Opinions?  (Whether you're educated on the topic or pure guesswork, all are welcome.)

2015-4-14
Use props
tpallai
Second Officer

United States

I'm no expert but I personally really saw a difference when I went from H3-2D to H3-3D a while back. Even just those slight use movements were so much smoother. If you make a slight yaw adjustment on the sticks it was a very obvious movement in the footage. The 3 axis really helps to smooth in my opinion, especially in wind.
2015-4-20
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Check these for 2D vs 3D gimbal comparison

2015-4-20
Use props
tchavalas
First Officer

United States

Yes... The yaw gimbal helps.  

The answer to durability problems is not to remove the yaw feature.  FIX the reliability issue or don't abuse your quad.
2015-4-21
Use props
paul
lvl.3

United States

tchavalas@panos Posted at 2015-4-22 02:19
Yes... The yaw gimbal helps.  

The answer to durability problems is not to remove the yaw feature.  ...

Well, tchavalas hath spoken.  </close thread>
2015-4-21
Use props
jpweather
lvl.1

United States

Exactly, I have the vision + V.2 and I have not any problems with the gimbal.  I have many flights with my Phantom without a hitch it's been great. I think that they are as durable as you are going to get.  I take really good care of mine transporting it with lens cover on camera and plastic holder for the gimbal. No issues with over 100 flights.  Plus I have been into RC for 20 years so I know how to fly.
2015-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules