12Next >
5510 71 2017-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

I will be updating to Oreo 8.1.0 form Oreo 8.0.0 very soon on my Pixel XL. Any of the forum guards know if it will work ok? Surely DJI has been keeping up with the beta testing for 8.1 right?
2017-12-5
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

I'm guessing that the version Oreo Go 8.1 for low end devices will not be powerful enough to run DJI Go app?
2017-12-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi sir, since Pixel XL is not the supported device, I am not able to provide you with more answer, but I hope other users who have this device will help you then. Thank you.
2017-12-6
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

Android 8 is "very different" to 7 internally.
So it's not just a case of DJI keeping up with releases like 5 > 6 > 7

So at present... It may work... May not
2017-12-6
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-6 02:09
Hi sir, since Pixel XL is not the supported device, I am not able to provide you with more answer, but I hope other users who have this device will help you then. Thank you.

Well it should be ;-)
2017-12-6
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Wirezfree Posted at 2017-12-6 03:35
Android 8 is "very different" to 7 internally.
So it's not just a case of DJI keeping up with releases like 5 > 6 > 7

8.0 works fine.........8.1 not sure yet.
2017-12-6
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

I didn't wait for the update so i flashed 8.1 a few minutes ago now letting it update apps etc. Will check out flying my Mavic as soon as i can.
2017-12-6
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

I haven't flown yet but the app opens fine. FYI
2017-12-6
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.3
United States

agree...how can it not be?
2017-12-6
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-6 02:09

Hi DJI Thor,

A couple questions out of curiosity...

What does it take to get a device on the list of supported devices?
Are there any plans to put any of the Pixel/Pixel 2 devices on the supported list?

Thanks
2017-12-6
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-6 14:32
I haven't flown yet but the app opens fine. FYI

Looking forward to your report... I'm (impatiently) waiting for the 81. update on my Pixel right now.

In the past, I've joined the Android beta programs. Lately I've been hesitant because of the unreliability of running the Go4 app. Would hate to have some sort of conflict an not be able o fly.

Although it may justify a tablet or CrystalSky!!
2017-12-6
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

CycleParadise Posted at 2017-12-6 16:50
Looking forward to your report... I'm (impatiently) waiting for the 81. update on my Pixel right now.

In the past, I've joined the Android beta programs. Lately I've been hesitant because of the unreliability of running the Go4 app. Would hate to have some sort of conflict an not be able o fly.

ya Google posted the image on Tuesday. I don't go for the betas since i need my phone to work as well as possible. I saw some posts on G+ people were getting it after i flashed it so you should get it soon. I always factory reset my phones before i flash the new images so i get a clean flash copy.
Anyway that cold air blast hit here in SW Missouri and it is just to cold to fly. It is 22 and feels like 10 here right now so will probably be Sunday before i fly. If you have a chance after getting 8.1 go for it and let us know how it went :-)
2017-12-7
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

CycleParadise Posted at 2017-12-6 16:45
Hi DJI Tor,

They have the Nexus 6P on the list and there has been 2 new phone releases since. They must have some voodoo they use to see what will work and what doesn't. My Nexus 6 v7.1.1 works fine and so does my Pixel XL v8.1 so who knows.......
2017-12-7
Use props
El Colibrí
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27703 ft
Canada

Thanks for posting this info @CycleParadise, I'm also curious to hear how it goes with the update. I just got my MP last week and have taken it for two flights so far. Both times the DJI GO 4 app crashed on my Pixel XL during flight, but was able to restart the app midflight - nerve-wracking for my first time flying!!

I understand the Pixel is not supported by DJI for some odd reason, but it's good to see someone having better luck than me using the Pixel. Do you have any suggestions to keep the Pixel working well and not crashing the app?? Have you had issues in the past?

I'm also updating to 8.1 right now (just got the OTA update), and will try to get out and fly this weekend if weather permits (we've got a cold front heading into the Ottawa valley in the next couple days) - I'll post an update as well if I do.
2017-12-7
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
United States

El Colibrí Posted at 2017-12-7 11:50
Thanks for posting this info @CycleParadise, I'm also curious to hear how it goes with the update. I just got my MP last week and have taken it for two flights so far. Both times the DJI GO 4 app crashed on my Pixel XL during flight, but was able to restart the app midflight - nerve-wracking for my first time flying!!

I understand the Pixel is not supported by DJI for some odd reason, but it's good to see someone having better luck than me using the Pixel. Do you have any suggestions to keep the Pixel working well and not crashing the app?? Have you had issues in the past?

Just checked and no 8.1 update for me. Grrrrrrrrrrr!!

I used to have issues with the app disconnecting during flight. I never lost control of the aircraft, the controller always remained connected.

The list time I flew, I put the phone in airplane mode and used the USB connection on the bottom of the controller to connect the phone to the controller. With this configuration, I never lost connection.

I haven't been able to do further testing to see if *only* putting the phone in airplane mode or *only* using the USB cable would fix the issue. Or, if both are needed.

Let me know if you gives these a try and if they work for you as well.
2017-12-7
Use props
Koia Koia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 772867 ft
United States

My Nexus 6P will not connect on 8.1 Just got mavic yesterday so not sure on if it will work on prior releases.  App launched fine and does not crash but seems to never connect to the mavic.
2017-12-7
Use props
El Colibrí
lvl.1
Canada

CycleParadise Posted at 2017-12-7 12:00

I used to have issues with the app disconnecting during flight. I never lost control of the aircraft, the controller always remained connected.

I've been checking the last couple days and it finally came to my phone an hour ago! 8.1 seems to be a nice improvement so far, DJI Go runs faster (haven't tried to connect to my MP yet).

I'll try out the Airplane mode method to see if that works better. I haven't lost control of the drone, just lost video signal on my phone and screwed up flight records because of it.
2017-12-7
Use props
El Colibrí
lvl.1
Canada

Koia Koia Posted at 2017-12-7 12:07
My Nexus 6P will not connect on 8.1 Just got mavic yesterday so not sure on if it will work on prior releases.  App launched fine and does not crash but seems to never connect to the mavic.

Oh dear, that's not a good sign... Is it just the app that is not connecting to your MP or is it the controller as well?
2017-12-7
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

Surely you jest. It is a constant struggle for DJI just to keep up with versions up to Android 8. In case you didn't know, the supported list is meaningless. It doesn't get you any different support for the issues that DJI GO4 has had since GO4 was released. I have never gotten any useful support for both of my devices that ARE on the supported list beyond  "send the unit in for repair", "uninstall and reinstall" and "try it on a friend's iPhone". While it will be interesting to know if it works with Android 8 or 8.1, the point of whether it is on this list is moot.
2017-12-7
Use props
Koia Koia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 772867 ft
United States

El Colibrí Posted at 2017-12-7 12:41
Oh dear, that's not a good sign... Is it just the app that is not connecting to your MP or is it the controller as well?

Controller connects no problem.  Just the app will not connect.  Had to connect with my nexus 9 that I have somewhat neglected and is on a 7.x still
2017-12-7
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

When 8.0 came out i had to change my startup sequence for it to work. Worked fine ever since. To the person/people that say no go try say starting up the Mavic first then the RC then plug in your device and see.
2017-12-7
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-7 15:56
When 8.0 came out i had to change my startup sequence for it to work. Worked fine ever since. To the person/people that say no go try say starting up the Mavic first then the RC then plug in your device and see.

Is that the start up order you use now?
2017-12-7
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41483 ft
United States

I have a Pixel 2 XL on 8.1 and tried your exact way twice with no connection. Only way I can get it to work is to restart the phone while docked and everything else already connected. Considering just getting a cheap ipod touch for drone-ing becuase having to deal with all that is really unacceptable.
2017-12-7
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

I have a Pixel 2 XL on 8.1 and tried your exact way twice with no connection. Only way I can get it to work is to restart the phone while docked and everything else already connected. Considering just getting a cheap ipod touch for drone-ing becuase having to deal with all that is really unacceptable
2017-12-7
Use props
El Colibrí
lvl.1
Canada

Robstunner Posted at 2017-12-7 19:11
I have a Pixel 2 XL on 8.1 and tried your exact way twice with no connection. Only way I can get it to work is to restart the phone while docked and everything else already connected. Considering just getting a cheap ipod touch for drone-ing becuase having to deal with all that is really unacceptable.

Yeah, I have an iPad Pro 10.5" that I originally thought would be too big for flying, but with all my struggles with the Pixel, I will probably try to set-up the iPad instead - it's certainly more powerful than my phone, and I already do a lot my editing on it, so maybe the software will actually run better.

Hopefully DJI will get their act together with DJI GO and resolve all the issues that seem to have come about with the latest version...
2017-12-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

CycleParadise Posted at 2017-12-6 16:45
Hi DJI Thor,

Hi sir, our engineers had purchased many of the mobile devices on the market and test if it can run DJI GO (4) without problems. If a device is not able to run the app, or a function can not be used, then the list will not list it out. The device on the support list has been fully tested and can ensure the compatibility.
2017-12-8
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

CycleParadise Posted at 2017-12-7 18:19
Is that the start up order you use now?

yes it is....
2017-12-8
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Robstunner Posted at 2017-12-7 19:11

Sorry it didn't work for you :-(
2017-12-8
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-8 00:36
Hi sir, our engineers had purchased many of the mobile devices on the market and test if it can run DJI GO (4) without problems. If a device is not able to run the app, or a function can not be used, then the list will not list it out. The device on the support list has been fully tested and can ensure the compatibility.

Well that's what some people get for being on the bleeding edge of technology and DJI is not!
2017-12-8
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-8 03:31
Sorry it didn't work for you :-(

You don't have to apologize, DJi who made the garbage app for a $1,000 device should be.
2017-12-8
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

El Colibrí Posted at 2017-12-7 22:37
Yeah, I have an iPad Pro 10.5" that I originally thought would be too big for flying, but with all my struggles with the Pixel, I will probably try to set-up the iPad instead - it's certainly more powerful than my phone, and I already do a lot my editing on it, so maybe the software will actually run better.

Hopefully DJI will get their act together with DJI GO and resolve all the issues that seem to have come about with the latest version...

The only problem is apparently you will lose all the data that you get with a phone and cell signal.
2017-12-8
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

Maybe it's me..??
I have worked in IT since Aug 1980... I've seen a lot of change.
I have yet to see any company release a new OS, and all applications just carry on running.??
DJI may have faults, and have dropped the ball on occasions.

But to assume that some that ran on 6 or 7 or 8 is just going to work is unrealistic.

Same reason I switched from Windows XP to Linux 2 years ago, I could not really on Windows 8/10.
Some things worked, somethings didn't, some things worked and crashed.
I still have my last Windows XP** install in a Virtualbox for the odd thing I can't get on Linux,, yet.

I have an ipad mini4 just for my Mavic, it will stay on IOS 10.3, till 11 is stable, maybe 11.3

GL

** Windows XP can/could still be kept up-to-date if you know how.
Look for how to fool MS into thinking it is Windows XP embedded.
2017-12-8
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-8 00:36

Thank you DJI Thor.

Are there any plans to test (and add) the Pixel/Pixel 2 phones from Google? I would hope so since they're flagship offerings.
2017-12-8
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

I must say that Oreo 8.1.0 is a great update. Smooth and stable as can be on my Pixel XL. Haven't been this impressed since Marshmallow was released. To me all versions of Nougat were crappy.
2017-12-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

CycleParadise Posted at 2017-12-8 11:09
Thank you DJI Thor.

Are there any plans to test (and add) the Pixel/Pixel 2 phones from Google? I would hope so since they're flagship offerings.

I am not sure if they have tested this device before, but will forward the requirement to our engineers. Thank you.
2017-12-10
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

wow has been close to a month now lol and i finally got a break in the wind, temps and weather to try Oreo 8.1.0 out and i even have the January security update and no app crashing in 20 mins of flying. So not bad for a non supported device.  Also everything is up to date with app and firmware etc.
2018-1-5
Use props
nnote
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1358048 ft
United States

Im on 6P Oreo 8.1 and mine crashes so much I have little faith doing to much with my Mavic.  I can see it coming, video starts getting super lagged, I start bringing my drone back and BAM. App crash. I lose a ton of recorded flight time for this also.
2018-1-5
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

nnote Posted at 2018-1-5 16:24
Im on 6P Oreo 8.1 and mine crashes so much I have little faith doing to much with my Mavic.  I can see it coming, video starts getting super lagged, I start bringing my drone back and BAM. App crash. I lose a ton of recorded flight time for this also.

ya that's what i have read but not my Pixel XL.......weird
2018-1-5
Use props
nnote
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1358048 ft
United States

4 flights and  5 crashes today.... sigh.
2018-1-6
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

CycleParadise Posted at 2017-12-7 12:00

i hope that works for you - if it does not then next they will say check environmental conditions and check your anntennae - everything except acknowlage that the app is a problem. soon enough there will be a new version of the app - hopefully solving your problem but surely dipriving some others users of proper functionality - then they will be told to check cables etc etc etc all over again  grrrrrrrrr for sure.
2018-1-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules