P3A motors
1415 10 2017-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Buzzbaitman
lvl.2
United States

P3A.  How many more hours do ya think I have on these motors ?..
I'm up to 94 hours, tried to upload pic, no can do .
2017-12-5
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

What exactly makes you suspect the motors may fail?  I have a lot more hours than that on  my advanced with no problems.  Without some pics or something it is hard to give you a meaningful answer.  You can open an account at an image hosting site like photobucket or similar and post pics there, then post links here.
2017-12-5
Use props
Buzzbaitman
lvl.2
United States

Eventually they are going to fail !!
2017-12-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hello Buzzbaitman, thanks for sharing your experience. You may consider to send it in if the motor failed: http://www.dji.com/support
2017-12-6
Use props
Buzzbaitman
lvl.2
United States

Well my point  is with that many hours and with 3.2 Million in distants, I'm starting to lose my trust, like I dont fly over water anymore !!!!
And if I have a motor failure I'm not going to need a new motor, I'm going to need a new Drone.   
2017-12-6
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

Motors in general are VERY reliable. The main failure point with most motors are the bearings. And they last a very long time if properly installed. If the winding are on their way out I would think they would cause an issue with the motor controller and then not start up. I would think it is VERY rare to have a motor just fail all of the sudden.

YMMV...
2017-12-6
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

If you really are that concerned, just replace them.  I think they are around  27.dollars apiece on Amazon
2017-12-6
Use props
Sasquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Brushless motors don't lose thrust. Only problem they will have is bearings wear out. You'll hear it at idle. Don't over think these things, and borrow trouble.
2017-12-7
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

As others say - bearings wear out .......... and you will hear the sound change as they wear out. Bearings are easily replaced and all you need is the ID number of the bearing and replace with generic.

I have BL motors with years on them ... they've been crashed / smashed / mashed into mud .. water ... even hard runways ... they are extremely resilient.

The other items that lead to repairs : bent shafts and loose magnets.

Shafts get bent obviously from getting knocked. Easy replacement. In fact easier than old brushed motors.

Magnets - they can be epoxied back in place - but usually if that happens it means motors overheated or something to cause it. Replace - its cheaper in the long run.

Contrary to some - a drop of sewing machine oil does wonders ... the motors are NOT sealed, they are shielded. By carefully unscrewing, lifting motor and turning AC upside down - a drop on end of toothpick can get it onto the bottom shaft end. Spin motor and you will 'hear' the spin  sound change as the oil enters. Believe me - it works. People claim that once you do this - you have to keep repeating - rubbish ... you can do it once or repeat ...

Nigel
2017-12-7
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

Or you can take the... it ain't broke don't fix it approach
2017-12-7
Use props
solentlife
First Officer