1730 17 2017-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ponderosa Flyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 277572 ft
  • >>>
United States

The manual says that braking distance increases to 164 feet in the Sport mode, and it's reduced to 6.6 feet in the Tripod mode.  But it doesn't mention the normal breaking distance.  What is the normal braking distance when not in one of those modes?

-Dan
2017-12-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Somewhere in between and varying with your speed.
A little testing would be easy to do to get a feel for it.
2017-12-5
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

I clocked about 58mph on my drone in sport mode and must stay the stopping distance increased dramatically. i would play with the controls and get a feel of the drone
2017-12-5
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I always felt that if your worried about braking distance then your flying too low too fast and too close to obsticles
2017-12-5
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hellsgate Posted at 2017-12-5 16:53
I always felt that if your worried about braking distance then your flying too low too fast and too close to obsticles

Hellsgate, tell me why I was laughing like crazy when I imagined him flying to close to "obsticles" . That will require Narrow Sensing feature to be employed, still the risk of serious injury must be taken into account. However, it may be viral You Tube publication if filmed ...
2017-12-5
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, Ponderosa. The braking distance varies at different environment and different setting of your drone. Also, it will be related to the speed of your drone. I would recommend you test it for the accurate data.
2017-12-6
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2017-12-5 19:25
Hellsgate, tell me why I was laughing like crazy when I imagined him flying to close to "obsticles" . That will require Narrow Sensing feature to be employed, still the risk of serious injury must be taken into account. However, it may be viral You Tube publication if filmed ...

I just have in my mind that if im ever worried about the braking distance of my drone then maybe  i shouldn't  be  flying in that particular situation.
Becauase im obviously flying in what i believe to be an extreme environment and im not about to get a tape measure out to try and work out at exactly what poiint i need to take my foot of the peddle so that i know i wont hit a bloody tree or building. Lol
2017-12-6
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Im sorry if i sound a bit cantankerous but this thread or question just seems a bit silly to me i certainly mean no disrespect to anybody but im just trying to look at this question from an outside point of view.
Why would i ask this question ?   = because im about to fly at high speeds in an enclosed environment at low altitude.
This to me just seems like ponderosa flyer is wanting to fly his drone in a dangerous situation and i just cant condone such flights.
If im totally wrong about this then please put me on the right path but thats just how im reading this situation.
2017-12-6
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2017-12-6 01:53
Im sorry if i sound a bit cantankerous but this thread or question just seems a bit silly to me i certainly mean no disrespect to anybody but im just trying to look at this question from an outside point of view.
Why would i ask this question ?   = because im about to fly at high speeds in an enclosed environment at low altitude.
This to me just seems like ponderosa flyer is wanting to fly his drone in a dangerous situation and i just cant condone such flights.

Then I would consider BREAKING distance to be any distance not accounted for during BRAKING distance
2017-12-6
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Maybe i should just not go any further with this thread.
2017-12-6
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-12-6 01:01
Hi, Ponderosa. The braking distance varies at different environment and different setting of your drone. Also, it will be related to the speed of your drone. I would recommend you test it for the accurate data.

Hi Electra, is this the sort of testing you mean?

2017-12-6
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

Hellsgate Posted at 2017-12-6 02:36
Maybe i should just not go any further with this thread.

Why the thread is just getting up to speed?
2017-12-6
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hellsgate Posted at 2017-12-6 01:40
I just have in my mind that if im ever worried about the braking distance of my drone then maybe  i shouldn't  be  flying in that particular situation.
Becauase im obviously flying in what i believe to be an extreme environment and im not about to get a tape measure out to try and work out at exactly what poiint i need to take my foot of the peddle so that i know i wont hit a bloody tree or building. Lol

Oh, misunderstanding happen ... I'm sure you mean "obstacles", not "obsticles"! Somehow this obvious typo triggered my imagination with Panderosa Flyer practicing flying in sport mode below "testicles" ... "Obstacles" + "testicles" = "obsticles" ... Get it? I was joking ...
2017-12-6
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Dockater Posted at 2017-12-6 03:35
Hi Electra, is this the sort of testing you mean?

[view_image]

Thanks for your hard work. I wonder the final data of your test, please share it with us.
2017-12-8
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2017-12-6 13:49
Oh, misunderstanding happen ... I'm sure you mean "obstacles", not "obsticles"! Somehow this obvious typo triggered my imagination with Panderosa Flyer practicing flying in sport mode below "testicles" ... "Obstacles" + "testicles" = "obsticles" ... Get it? I was joking ...

Sorry for the typo lol
2017-12-8
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-12-8 02:21
Thanks for your hard work. I wonder the final data of your test, please share it with us.

Hi Elektra, the results were a fine of €500 and a 3 month driving ban. Photoshop send its regards as well.
2017-12-8
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Dockater Posted at 2017-12-8 04:16
Hi Elektra, the results were a fine of €500 and a 3 month driving ban. Photoshop send its regards as well.

We feel sorry to hear that. I would recommend you fly in a safer place and test with the permission of the local police.
2017-12-10
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-12-10 03:09
We feel sorry to hear that. I would recommend you fly in a safer place and test with the permission of the local police.

Thank you for your suggestions, but my lawyer got me off the ban with a plea of “low flying” and thus outside of traffic police jurisdiction. Unfortunately DJI will also be the looser regarding the fine, I will have to use the money I was saving to buy an Inspire.

Have a nice Sunday.
2017-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules