Great explanation.
Let's hope DJI unlocks RAW in the Spark
2017-12-7
Use props
djiuser_BDKdjfR
lvl.1

Portugal

OOO Posted at 2017-12-5 22:32
Thanks for info. What are the alternatives for RAW image editing in Mac (other than adobe programs ).

https://rawtherapee.en.uptodown.com/mac

I'm not a Mac user, but try Rawtherapee (free). I mostly use ACR then into GIMP as it suits my workflow better. Rawtherapee is an exceptionally powerful RAW editor however, just make sure to dive in with some online tutorials as it will likely be very confusing to those new to editing.

I can't comment on dji RAW support in Rawtherapee though as I don't have my phantom yet.

2017-12-7
Use props
RogueDNA
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95184 ft

New Zealand

Thanks DJI Grace this is very helpful for a noob like me
2017-12-7
Use props
Hecate
lvl.4
Canada

Thank you DJI grace, let me add some more info....
For White balance correction, sample a color on the jpg with the color sampler that is around 30% grey, in the jpg below I used the light grey wall on the bottom right(used your green tinted jpgfor this), If there is no light grey try and find a black area. If you are new to lightroom, I clicked on auto correction and reset the exposure slider back to zero (my lazy way to correct shadows, highlights and contrast).
The difference between raw and jpg is 2 f-stops of shadow recovery (4 stops recovery for raw and 2 stops for jpg), and 1 f-stop recovery for highlights when using raw and zero highlight recovery for jpg, so it is important to expose for the sky when shooting jpg as too bright areas cannot be corrected.  So when shooting AEB and merging the three jpg shots in lightroom or any other image processor it will be the same as raw, 4 f-stop shadow recovery and 1 stop recovery for highlights, however; using DXO software one would be able to recover 6 stops of shadow recovery, it is also possible to run lightroom in the 2003 process and try a 6 stop recovery, it has its problems but can be corrected with other software.
blurryjpeg-2-1024x576 (2).JPG
2017-12-7
Use props
_pk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 696 ft
Poland

And you are posting this thread in Spark's forum, where many people for month are requesting for raw support but are being sent away with "we have no plans for it"...
2017-12-7
Use props
OOO
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3319262 ft
  • >>>
Turkey

djiuser_BDKdjfR Posted at 2017-12-7 09:38
https://rawtherapee.en.uptodown.com/mac

I'm not a Mac user, but try Rawtherapee (free). I mostly use ACR then into GIMP as it suits my workflow better. Rawtherapee is an exceptionally powerful RAW editor however, just make sure to dive in with some online tutorials as it will likely be very confusing to those new to editing.

Thanks for the comment.
2017-12-7
Use props
Pol
New
Flight distance : 1460 ft
Italy

Not for Spark? Why?
Raw offers more opportunities for improvement for photos...
2017-12-7
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

This awesome information. This answered a lot of questions I had. Thank dji Grace
2017-12-8
Use props
SRO
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2405174 ft
Switzerland

Thank you very much for this informations.
2017-12-16
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hecate Posted at 2017-12-7 12:33
Thank you DJI grace, let me add some more info....
For White balance correction, sample a color on the jpg with the color sampler that is around 30% grey, in the jpg below I used the light grey wall on the bottom right(used your green tinted jpgfor this), If there is no light grey try and find a black area. If you are new to lightroom, I clicked on auto correction and reset the exposure slider back to zero (my lazy way to correct shadows, highlights and contrast).
The difference between raw and jpg is 2 f-stops of shadow recovery (4 stops recovery for raw and 2 stops for jpg), and 1 f-stop recovery for highlights when using raw and zero highlight recovery for jpg, so it is important to expose for the sky when shooting jpg as too bright areas cannot be corrected.  So when shooting AEB and merging the three jpg shots in lightroom or any other image processor it will be the same as raw, 4 f-stop shadow recovery and 1 stop recovery for highlights, however; using DXO software one would be able to recover 6 stops of shadow recovery, it is also possible to run lightroom in the 2003 process and try a 6 stop recovery, it has its problems but can be corrected with other software.

impressive!!!
Thank you for sharing this to us!
2017-12-17
Use props
N9IWJ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28973 ft
United States

Pic 2 on both is raw
2018-1-20
Use props
clairewhite
New

China

Excellent article!
Actually, I think that human eyes cannot distinguish RAW and JPEG images directly. Though RAW contains much more information than JPEG does. But JPEG format is enough for daily usage.
2018-6-7
Use props
dronto
Second Officer
Singapore

thanks much Grace, I never knew what RAW means
2018-7-18
Use props
Greyback
lvl.3
United States

I just purchased the Mavic Air for photography mostly. As a photographer, I always shoot RAW. There are no instructions included to show how to make the settings for RAW instead of JPG. How do I make the change in the Mavic Air? Alos, Is ee no instructions on doing panos or anything else.
2018-7-20
Use props
TimDerLauch
lvl.2

Now I know the difference ! Thank you !
2018-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules