Unable to fix the Gimbal issue
1599 15 2017-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Harsha
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37211 ft
India

Hi!! This is my Phantom drone crashed during flying. I replaced my gimbal's yaw motor since it was the only damaging part. Now, I have a new issue of gimbal tilting slightly when the drone is started initially. I have done the IMU & GIMBAL calibration  after replacing the yaw motor, still stuck in that issue. So please reply with your suggestions and solutions to get it right as soon as possible. For clear clarification i have attached the video link.

>> Video link

2017-12-5
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Harsha,

Sorry to hear about your crash.  Good you got it where it may be just calibration issues now.  Your video did not play for some reason.  It would be helpful if you can fix that.  Do you use YouTube.  YouTube is very reliable.

One thing you can try while you work on the video problem is to do more calibrations and tests.  But, this time do them in pairs and change the order.  Do the IMU first followed by the gimbal and test it, then if that did not work, do the gimbal first followed by the IMU and test it.

If you are lucky, the repeated calibrations will correct the deviation of the gimbal and camera until they get more centered.  Changing the order of the calibrations helps in that process, little by little.  If it improves at all, it is working.  If not, try another approach.

Are you getting a live view OK?  Are there any other issues?

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-12-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hello Harsha, we do not suggest to take apart the drone as it may void your warranty. You can contact the Support or local authorized dealer to see whether they can help: https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy
2017-12-6
Use props
Harsha
lvl.2
India

Hello Catecean,

Sorry for the inconvinience. I have re-uploaded the video link. Kindly do check it out.

>> Video Link                 
            Yes, the live view is working perfect and no other issues except the gimbal tilting problem.
2017-12-6
Use props
Harsha
lvl.2
India

Hello DJI Susan,

Thanks for the suggestion. It was my initial thought and i wish i could have done that. But i cannot claim the warranty as specified under the DJI warranty clauses.
2017-12-6
Use props
rahaman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10154 ft
India

Hii... i am facing very relevant problem to gimbal.. for the video recording... it is continuously stopping video recording during flight mission as well as manual flying. i have tried everything IMU, GIMBAL calibration and firmware updation/degrdation .  
2017-12-6
Use props
rahaman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10154 ft
India

Harsha Posted at 2017-12-6 00:09
Hello Catecean,

Sorry for the inconvinience. I have re-uploaded the video link. Kindly do check it out.

Hii..

i am facing the gimbal issue continuously.. my phantom 4 machine is taking images/photo but it is totally failed to record video. neither in mission nor in manually.

i have calibrated IMU as well as gimbal but there is no changes.

so please revert  as soon as possible.   
2017-12-6
Use props
Harsha
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-12-5 22:58
Aloha Harsha,

Sorry to hear about your crash.  Good you got it where it may be just calibration issues now.  Your video did not play for some reason.  It would be helpful if you can fix that.  Do you use YouTube.  YouTube is very reliable.

Hello Catacean,

Kindly do check the video to my issue and reply with the suggestions and solutions as soon as possible.
2017-12-7
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Harsha Posted at 2017-12-7 22:41
Hello Catacean,

Kindly do check the video to my issue and reply with the suggestions and solutions as soon as possible.

Aloha Harsha,

Sorry, but your video does not play.  It only tries to load.  After a few minutes it is still loading.  Can you get a better video, maybe YouTube?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-12-8
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

rahaman Posted at 2017-12-6 01:22
Hii..

i am facing the gimbal issue continuously.. my phantom 4 machine is taking images/photo but it is totally failed to record video. neither in mission nor in manually.

You should find a thread with related issues, as this is another problem and regarding the Pro but one thing to ask, are you using a card with the right specs, is it the original that came with the P4, if not, does that work.
2017-12-8
Use props
Harsha
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-12-8 03:45
Aloha Harsha,

Sorry, but your video does not play.  It only tries to load.  After a few minutes it is still loading.  Can you get a better video, maybe YouTube?

Hello Catacean,

I'm really for the inconvenience once again. I have attached the youtube link as suggeted. Kindly do check it out and revert as soon as possible.
2017-12-8
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Harsha Posted at 2017-12-8 22:54
Hello Catacean,

I'm really for the inconvenience once again. I have attached the youtube link as suggeted. Kindly do check it out and revert as soon as possible.

Aloha Harsha,

OK, your problem has been solved in the past with a simple action that voids most warranties.  If you are prepared to do this, it is simple.  When the P4 Pro is booting up and the camera is facing the wrong way, simply turn the camera to face the right way in front when the boot is done.  Then shut down the Aircraft and turn it on again after one minute.  The camera should face the right direction.

Then recalibrate the IMU and the gimbal.  Again, this is not a recommended DJI procedure.  This is called "winging-it".  In the past it has worked, but with the new firmware there is no way to tell if it will work in the current situation.  This is only to be considered when there is no warranty from DJI.

Hope this helps!  Let us know how it turns out so we can help or keep from "helping" others in the future.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-12-9
Use props
Harsha
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-12-9 00:25
Aloha Harsha,

OK, your problem has been solved in the past with a simple action that voids most warranties.  If you are prepared to do this, it is simple.  When the P4 Pro is booting up and the camera is facing the wrong way, simply turn the camera to face the right way in front when the boot is done.  Then shut down the Aircraft and turn it on again after one minute.  The camera should face the right direction.

Hello Cetacean,

Thanks for the informative suggestion. But i couldn't fix the issue.
I request you to go through the video again, since there is a sound that is generated during the camera movement. I guess the problem is with roll motor or flex cable but i'm not sure. The camera is not getting centered but it stays in either ends of x-axis if i manually turn it. And even when i'm turning it manually, there is an annoying (scratchy) sound that is generated.

So can i get any suggestions or solutions to this problem?
2017-12-13
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I re- centered my camera by turning the turret gently in the opposite direction while AC is on, you'll feel resistance but you go past this a little bit at a time until it is centred.
Then don't do a gimbal recalibration, leave it as it is

You can also try a gimbal calibration with the AC in a vertical position, where the camera would be pointing to the ceiling if it was straight

2017-12-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Harsha Posted at 2017-12-13 22:52
Hello Cetacean,

Thanks for the informative suggestion. But i couldn't fix the issue.

Aloha Harsha,

Have you tried to turn the camera forward after it was on and finished initializing?  The YAW motor is held in place by a friction pin.  There may be a set screw inside the faring that you can loosen to turn the camera yoke but you would have to figure out how to get into and under the faring.  If you can just turn it after it is on and finished starting up, it is much easier and if you do not do it alot it will not wear down the friction holding the friction in place.

The YAW axis friction pin faring is held on by two off-set screws deep inside little shafts in the faring.  The screws are Phillips head.  They can be easily seen when the P4 Pro is upside down.  If you unscrew those two screws the faring should come off and reveal the friction pin head.  Sometimes they have a shaved side that indicates how it should be centered.  You need to post a photo of that friction pin head so we can help you center the YAW axis.

I looked through 20+ pages of the DJI Store catalogue and could not find the P4 Pro camera they used to sell; so unless you can get one direct from DJI you are going to have to try to fix this one without breaking it.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-12-14
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

This seems to be a common problem when yaw motors have been replaced recently.  I am just guessing that DJI may have fixed it so that it may need a calibration that only repair centers can do.
2017-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules