1491 21 2017-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Walk The Dog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 111955 ft
Canada

Hello,

A friend just walked out the doors of a local BestBuy with his new 4 Pro, given everything I am presently reading... should he update the firmware?

He asked me to ask the board here...

Thanks kindly
2017-12-6
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

WAIT!!!!!!  Just read the manual thoroughly and see how it flies,  Don't make any adjustments first.   Good luck!
2017-12-6
Use props
Walk The Dog
lvl.2
Canada

Thanks kindly for the input, I literally just read your other post.

Have FW updates always been this flaky or is this something new?
2017-12-6
Use props
Walk The Dog
lvl.2
Canada

I suppose another question comes up.  What is the current lifespan of a model, if the 4 pro was released last Nov/16 does that suggest that there will be some new craft out sometime soon?
2017-12-6
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

YES I would update.
2017-12-6
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

yes i would.
2017-12-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hello there, generally, I'd suggest to update as it will fix some issues and introduce something new. As a new pilot, I'd recommend to read the manual for several times and accumulate hands-on experience before change anything. Regarding the lifespan, I'm not sure when the new model will be available, but we still offer technical support for the products we've sold.
2017-12-7
Use props
hdlou94
lvl.4
Flight distance : 753163 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-7 01:32
Hello there, generally, I'd suggest to update as it will fix some issues and introduce something new. As a new pilot, I'd recommend to read the manual for several times and accumulate hands-on experience before change anything. Regarding the lifespan, I'm not sure when the new model will be available, but we still offer technical support for the products we've sold.

What new model??
2017-12-7
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

For sure i would not update. At least do some time without first and see how it perform.
Eventually try to get out a backup of both AC and RC before, it can be done with 3rd party sw.
2017-12-7
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

The P5 Pro Obsidian with retractable gear, Zenmuse camera and 1 hour flight time batteries.
2017-12-7
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

m1shootr Posted at 2017-12-7 05:00
The P5 Pro Obsidian with retractable gear, Zenmuse camera and 1 hour flight time batteries.

Ever heard of "fake news"?
2017-12-7
Use props
Walk The Dog
lvl.2
Canada

Thanks for the opinions guys, I appreciate them very much.

I am now also a P4 Pro owner, after having helped get a buddy off the ground my P3SE wasn't the same.  I purchased, and it is waiting for an unboxing.

I was asking about the P4 Pro and updates for a buddy and now for myself.  Once the community has given the all clear on updates it is something I will absolutely do, but the possibility of grounding my new craft isn't something I am all that interested in learning about first hand.   I have no idea how wide spread the issues have been, its entirely possible the FW issues come in under 1% and that only the users who have been effected are speaking up.  I am new to drones but not to forums - this will always be an issue when seeking for opinions online.  

Please do keep them coming
2017-12-7
Use props
Walk The Dog
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-7 01:32

Hi Susan,

Thanks for chiming in here!   I wasn't concerned about the support you'd be offering on the  craft, so far the support I have received from DJI has been stellar.  

I would love to hear back from you on the % of P4 users who are experiencing issues after having updated, even if this is a % of cases created vs drones sold.  That information would be most useful in deciding how to proceed,.
2017-12-7
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

WTD  seems there are a range of users, some get no problems, some experience the same problems and others manage to get issues that are unique. To date I have been lucky with my P4 but boy did I cop it with the P3. Fortunately there are some pretty savvy users on here and they can solve anything. And if all else fails use it as a paper weight. So watch a few YouTube videos and update.

BTW hdlou94, ( post 8#), well done
2017-12-7
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Walk The Dog Posted at 2017-12-7 05:49
Hi Susan,

Thanks for chiming in here!   I wasn't concerned about the support you'd be offering on the  craft, so far the support I have received from DJI has been stellar.  

If it's a new P4P , it would probably come with the latest version of the firmware V 01.04.0602 (June 2017) anyway and since your using DJI Go 4 for the first time that will probably be the latest 4.1.18 in both android and IOS.

So the question about upgrading for you is a mute point until the P4P gets a new firmware upgrade.
If you got an earlier version of the firmware on the AC , that would suggest a much earlier build which I'm not sure is better.
I would want a more recent build date.
2017-12-7
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 434593 ft
Thailand

If it has been only just purchased from Best Buy then I imagine you could go with the update and if that bricks it (and I’m not saying it would) then I assume you could simply take it back to Best Buy for a refund or exchange?
2017-12-7
Use props
hdlou94
lvl.4
United States

m1shootr Posted at 2017-12-7 05:00
Ever heard of "fake news"?

LMAO.. you got me
2017-12-8
Use props
hdlou94
lvl.4
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-12-7 16:44
You should fly it the way it comes.  If it works well leave well enough alone & do NOT update.

amen and amen

2017-12-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Walk The Dog Posted at 2017-12-7 05:49
Hi Susan,

Thanks for your attention. We are still collecting the feedback of the latest beta firmware. No worries, we will keep follow up.
2017-12-10
Use props
Walk The Dog
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-10 03:41
Thanks for your attention. We are still collecting the feedback of the latest beta firmware. No worries, we will keep follow up.

Appreciated Susan,

I still haven’t taken the bird out on her maiden voyage, just waiting on weather to clear up.  I suppose I will just wait until hearing about the first words on a stable release, this also depends on which FW version is preloaded.

Was there a particular build number or FW version that people were having issues with when updating?
2017-12-10
Use props
Fastnine
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24324 ft
United States

Yes I would do all the updates
2017-12-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Walk The Dog Posted at 2017-12-10 07:22
Appreciated Susan,

I still haven’t taken the bird out on her maiden voyage, just waiting on weather to clear up.  I suppose I will just wait until hearing about the first words on a stable release, this also depends on which FW version is preloaded.

My pleasure. The firmware of P4P and P4 are different. If you encounter any issue of P4P, feel free to contact us, we'll try our best to help.
2017-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules