5350 27 2017-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1048652 ft
  • >>>
United States

Curious... I am studying for my FAA part 107 sUAS remote pilot test. For those of you who have taken and passed the test, have a couple of questions:
1. How many questions are on the test? (60?)
2. How much time do you have to complete the test? (2 hours?)
3. How much of the test is weather related?

I appreiate any input...

DocQuicksand
SkyPixel
2017-12-6
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

flipdiving Posted at 2017-12-8 00:30
Share your very excellent. It helped me to have much more knowledge in this field. Hope to contribute my work to my work better
lucky patcher

I am sure that you will. Taking my test on the 15th...
2017-12-8
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Passed on 1st shot; wasn't easy but if you study you'll be fine.

60 questions, they give you 2 hours (I finished in 1 hr) pencil, FAA sectional map guide and questions are mixed bag of areas. Know METARS, sectional charts, weather, Long/Latt, pressure, stable air vs. unstable, loading, performance and airspace to name a few.

Good luck !
2017-12-18
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-18 16:44
Passed on 1st shot; wasn't easy but if you study you'll be fine.

60 questions, they give you 2 hours (I finished in 1 hr) pencil, FAA sectional map guide and questions are mixed bag of areas. Know METARS, sectional charts, weather, Long/Latt, pressure, stable air vs. unstable, loading, performance and airspace to name a few.

Purchased the Ground School app for part 107 and have about 20 hours of study time on it. Been steady getting better than 95% on all practice exams. My test is scheduled for tomorrow morning, I'll let you know how I do.

Pending a passing score, may need to pick your brain on the next steps with the FAA.
2017-12-18
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DocQuicksand Posted at 2017-12-18 17:00
Purchased the Ground School app for part 107 and have about 20 hours of study time on it. Been steady getting better than 95% on all practice exams. My test is scheduled for tomorrow morning, I'll let you know how I do.

Pending a passing score, may need to pick your brain on the next steps with the FAA.

If your scoring that high on the practice exams, then you'll be just fine. My thought when I took it was who cares what's the score, as long I passed it I was fine with that.
2017-12-19
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-19 05:27
If your scoring that high on the practice exams, then you'll be just fine. My thought when I took it was who cares what's the score, as long I passed it I was fine with that.

Passed with flying colors! Now I am waiting the 24 to 48 hours for the results to make their way to the FAA so I can aply for my rating.

2017-12-19
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Oh wow, awesome and congrats !  Another FAA Remote Pilot on board....Told you so.  That's basically my sign when I know I'm ready..when those practice exam scores are within the passing grade.

2017-12-19
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-19 14:36
Oh wow, awesome and congrats !  Another FAA Remote Pilot on board....Told you so.  That's basically my sign when I know I'm ready..when those practice exam scores are within the passing grades.

Thank you! There were definitely some decieving questions on the test, things NOT in my study material. Bur common sense always prevails!
2017-12-19
Use props
Rvrrat14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 655932 ft
United States

Passed first attempt with 90%.   60 questions took me 1:20.   I took my time and read each question and answers twice.   The FAA loves to trick you to see if you’re awake!
I would have to say being a pilot since 1985 was a huge help, as lots of questions pertained to general pilotage knowledge.  Study weather and sectionals real good, along with general rules.  Didn’t do ground school with my pilots license, nor 107.   Study, Study, Study.   Good luck.
2017-12-24
Use props
Aero-Drone Imag
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Rvrrat14 Posted at 2017-12-24 05:17
Passed first attempt with 90%.   60 questions took me 1:20.   I took my time and read each question and answers twice.   The FAA loves to trick you to see if you’re awake!
I would have to say being a pilot since 1985 was a huge help, as lots of questions pertained to general pilotage knowledge.  Study weather and sectionals real good, along with general rules.  Didn’t do ground school with my pilots license, nor 107.   Study, Study, Study.   Good luck.

Took it last week and passed with flying colors. Like you said, there were several questions that will trick you up. Wasn't a fan of the review at the end, they only you show the questions that you missed, not the correct answers...
2017-12-24
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aero-Drone Imag Posted at 2017-12-24 07:42
Took it last week and passed with flying colors. Like you said, there were several questions that will trick you up. Wasn't a fan of the review at the end, they only you show the questions that you missed, not the correct answers...

Awesome congrats !  

Still waiting for my FAA card to come in the snail mail.
2018-1-26
Use props
Aero-Drone Imag
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

S.D. Pilot Posted at 2018-1-26 11:05
Awesome congrats !  

Thank you! Yeah, still waiting on mine as well. Still don't even have a cert number, not even on my temp card...
2018-1-26
Use props
SSFRIH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32283 ft
  • >>>
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-18 16:44
Passed on 1st shot; wasn't easy but if you study you'll be fine.

I passed mine in Oct. and started studying 3 weeks before the test M.C. Pilot is dead on with his reply
i used Remotepilot 101 cost 149.00 but it is good for life was all the changes to come it's a good thing
to have when you retake the test in two years. I also got the remotepilot hand book 16.00 and did that
books test and i got a APP called FLIGHTREADY it has every possible question it seems like you can
do study questions or just 60 question test and checks your answers and tells you why your wrong.
It's nice because you can do it anywhere 24/7. It took about 2 week 8 hr's aday the i just used the app
and did the final test again from Remotepilot 101 the morning before the test. IN THE END IT'S JUST
STUDY AND MORE STUDYING. Bring a magnified glasses you may need them.
Best of luck
Rick   
2018-1-26
Use props
SSFRIH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32283 ft
  • >>>
United States

S.D. Pilot Posted at 2018-1-26 11:05
Awesome congrats !  

CONGRATALTIONS
2018-1-26
Use props
B-727
lvl.2
United States

Yes,yes on question 1 and 2. Question 3, yes I had weather questions. You can get on line and take practice test. That helped a lot. I'm guessing 10 questions on weather. Some were the same questions I had on my practice test.
2018-1-26
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

SSFRIH Posted at 2018-1-26 16:56
I passed mine in Oct. and started studying 3 weeks before the test M.C. Pilot is dead on with his reply
i used Remotepilot 101 cost 149.00 but it is good for life was all the changes to come it's a good thing
to have when you retake the test in two years. I also got the remotepilot hand book 16.00 and did that

You're so right about the magnifying glass....u def need it for the maps..the details are tiny
2018-1-26
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aero-Drone Imag Posted at 2018-1-26 15:44
Thank you! Yeah, still waiting on mine as well. Still don't even have a cert number, not even on my temp card...

Yeah the cert temp you'll get first. I carry a copy in my drone case.
2018-1-26
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aero-Drone Imag Posted at 2017-12-24 07:42
Took it last week and passed with flying colors. Like you said, there were several questions that will trick you up. Wasn't a fan of the review at the end, they only you show the questions that you missed, not the correct answers...

Anyone taking that test that doesn't study, will more than likely fail. It's an exam that one needs to study - no question.
2018-1-26
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I also took Jason's course remotepilot101- it was a deal especially that he updates material and avail for lifetime..so you can study going forward. Pretty cool deal.
2018-1-26
Use props
Charmande
lvl.3
Flight distance : 299459 ft
United States

Grats to all of those who passed and got their certificate. For those who are still looking to get it I would highly recommend watching this youtube video. It's completely free and he does a fairly good job of explaining most aspects of the test. Also, he includes links to free practice tests that have very similar questions to what you'll see on the real thing. All free and I know quiet a few people who have passed just off of the knowledge imparted to them via this video and included links. Either way good luck to all and happy flying.

2018-1-26
Use props
IamWedge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 321398 ft
United States

I also did the remotepilot101.com Lots of great info. Jason is a hell of a instructor. Passed in Oct of 17
2018-2-24
Use props
HDBOB
lvl.2
United States

This was the 8th FAA written for me.   I am heavily rated for flying real aircraft.  I scored a 97% (missed 2 due to not strong enough reading glasses) There are many versions of the test. One time might have a lot of weather, one might have a lot of Sectional Chart questions, one might be heavy on Aeronautical Decision Making. Sometimes you may get a few more questions that 60 when they throw in a few new questions they are trying out. (You won't know which ones and they won't count for your test score). EVERYTHING you need to study can be found online for free. The $20 ish 107 Study guides are just reprints of the online free stuff.  You can view online or download the pdf file to your computer.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/aim.pdf
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_ ... uals/aviation/phak/
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_ ... ent_hb_change_1.pdf
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_ ... lot_study_guide.pdf
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_ ... ia/FAA-H-8083-1.pdf
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/ ... ns/cug-complete.pdf
https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/ac_107-2_afs-1_signed.pdf
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibr ... rcular/AC_107-2.pdf
Browse the You Tube for Tony Thorpe 107 test question review video
2018-2-26
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24572349 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is the test booklet like?   Is it easy to find everything in it?

I am taking the test this Saturday... I have scored 90% and as high as 100% on the Gold Seal Course final exam.  My only concern is the booklet that you use on the actual test.  Its available on the Gold Seal site, but I have never bothered to print it out. Is it easy to find everything in he test booklet?   Im guessing it is if no one has mentioned it here.  On the Gold Seal site they offer the diagram in small version along with the question and I have always been able to figure out everything from that.  Im also wondering how many questions on the Gold Seal site are from  the actual test. Im under the impression that they all are.

There are some ridiculous trick questions if you are not careful (according to my Gold Seal studies). I could answer the question without multiple choice and get it right, but when you have to pick an answer  there are a few that are confusing.. The one about a train from one town to another and the answer is that you need class D authorization, but that simply is not an answer so the correct answer on that one is nothing. You can find the same question with the class D answer  in the choices.
2019-2-21
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JJMik Posted at 2-21 05:58
What is the test booklet like?   Is it easy to find everything in it?

I am taking the test this Saturday... I have scored 90% and as high as 100% on the Gold Seal Course final exam.  My only concern is the booklet that you use on the actual test.  Its available on the Gold Seal site, but I have never bothered to print it out. Is it easy to find everything in he test booklet?   Im guessing it is if no one has mentioned it here.  On the Gold Seal site they offer the diagram in small version along with the question and I have always been able to figure out everything from that.  Im also wondering how many questions on the Gold Seal site are from  the actual test. Im under the impression that they all are.

The sectional charts at the testing site are similar to the ones on the FAA if not the same.  Bring along a magnifying glass as this will be helpful looking for the fine tiny details. My vision isn't the best when looking for a specific tower in the question. Pulled out the magnifying glass and BAM there it was.
2019-5-29
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>

SD_Pilot Posted at 5-29 09:23
The sectional charts at the testing site are similar to the ones on the FAA if not the same.  Bring along a magnifying glass as this will be helpful looking for the fine tiny details. My vision isn't the best when looking for a specific tower in the question. Pulled out the magnifying glass and BAM there it was.

I got 90%  first try after 100%  Gold Seal..  

A few of the sectional charts were confusing with airport air space overlapping and the way a few questions were asked made them very confusing..

What’s the deal with letting rec flyers get approval to fly in restricted air space?  You sure don’t get much for paying for and passing part 107.  They should let just us fly in low occupancy state parks and national.
2019-10-2
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>

JJMik Posted at 10-2 03:46
I got 90%  first try after 100%  Gold Seal..  

A few of the sectional charts were confusing with airport air space overlapping and the way a few questions were asked made them very confusing..

Congrats on passing !

Yeah FAA as you probably have heard will be creating a rec exam as well so we'll need to take that one too. Assuming that'll be slightly easier?
2019-10-2
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>

SD_Pilot Posted at 10-2 05:14
Congrats on passing !

Yeah FAA as you probably have heard will be creating a rec exam as well so we'll need to take that one too. Assuming that'll be slightly easier?

Unless the faa is going to start enforcing their laws they better not expect certified pilots to take another test.  I doubt it.   Every time I fly I consider it commercial because I light sell a picture.  So I’m always flying commercially.

The FAA should hire a few of us part 107 pilots to frequent parks and drone hit spots to check up on rec pilots.. make sure they have Reg numbers Etc.

2019-10-2
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>

I think rec. test/certificate would be waived for those who passed the PT 107; sure that test is much harder than the rec. one.
2019-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules