Controller Cailbration
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Avocet
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15115 ft
United States

Situation:  Drone has been idle for about 5 weeks or so.  Android DJI Go 3.1.23 was released and installed about 4 days ago.  Controller (Model xx300C) will no longer calibrate.  I made sure the controller was fully charged and attempted to calibrate several times with no success.

I hear there is a set of button presses to reset the controller.  That might be my next step if anyone thinks that might help.  (Will I need to relink after that?)

Has anyone ever replaced a stick pot in their controller?

Any thoughts?
2017-12-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hello Avocet, just to verify, do you turn the dial during the RC calibration? I'll attach the tutorial video for double check.

2017-12-7
Use props
Avocet
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-7 05:06
Hello Avocet, just to verify, do you turn the dial during the RC calibration? I'll attach the tutorial video for double check.

Hi Susan, if you are referring to the gimbal dial on the upper left shoulder, absolutely.  Dozens of times.  I've also noticed that when going through the stick rotations, often the right stick requires many many rotations before it will register an up movement.  I'm hoping this is not a defective part - that makes no sense.
2017-12-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Avocet Posted at 2017-12-7 08:57
Hi Susan, if you are referring to the gimbal dial on the upper left shoulder, absolutely.  Dozens of times.  I've also noticed that when going through the stick rotations, often the right stick requires many many rotations before it will register an up movement.  I'm hoping this is not a defective part - that makes no sense.

Thanks for getting back to us. Could you upload a complete video of the issue? I'd like to check the exact status.
2017-12-10
Use props
Avocet
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-10 03:23
Thanks for getting back to us. Could you upload a complete video of the issue? I'd like to check the exact status.

HI Susan ... an aftermath.  I simply do not have the time at present to skirmish with DJI's repair service and support team.  I paid the price  and very unfairly I believe.  This is NOT a good business model for DJI or my fledgling UAV business.  Here's the problem and the solution:

PROB:  A recent flight showed that my forward and reverse right stick inputs were not working (I WAS able to save the craft using other inputs).  My P3P controller (gl300C) suddenly would not calibrate through the GO app.  Resetting the controller did not work either.   It was easy to observe that the calibration of the right stick was failing as forward and reverse movements were not registering on the calibration interface in the app.   Clearly, there was a hardware failure on my controller.  It has never been dropped, opened, modified and had less than 5 charges on it.  It was OUT of warranty by a few months.
I decided to send it to California for repair (DJI).  I received a repair quote for 90% of a new controller (approximately $250).  The itemization of the quote included controller shell parts, tablet mounting arm, motherboard, all of which were in pristine condition when sent (with the exception of the motherboard which could be the problem source admittedly).  If the unit was damaged in shipping, noone said a word to me about that.  It was packaged carefully I might add.

After explaining that I own multiple DJI products, am a licensed sUAS pilot, a sUAS instructor at the school I teach at, and had a P.O. on my desk for a SPARK for school, I was told after several debates, that they would discount my repair bill by some "unknown" amount.  This discount amounted to $37 dollars.  

SOLUTION:  My repair totaled 203.13 USD, which I paid, for what was clearly a manufacturing defect.  This part did not wear out in 14 months and was never subjected to any physical activity or environments that would cause it to fail (other than, of course, some very light usage). DJI services initially stated that they do NOT repair controllers though their warranty language says "manufacturing defects or warranty repairs".  ????  Of course, I still have not received the unit nor know if it has been shipped, so the story is not quite over yet.

I have been a champion for DJI products and technology for more than 3 years now.  I have never needed any tech support or repair services in that time largely due to my own skill sets and the quality of DJI products.  In this situation, there was clearly a hard defect, and I afforded DJI every opportunity to show that it stands behind its products, its employees and the future of consumer and commercial sUAV systems with the DJI brand.  I ignored the online blabber about the failed customer service model and felt confident that my experience in this situation would be a satisfying one.  Clearly, I erred in judgement.  DJI may be 203.13 USD richer, but I will think long and hard about that P.O. on my desk and just how I refresh the small fleet of sUAVs I use for instruction going forward.

To make things worse, I promised myself that I would not waste more time on this unfortunate situation and I just did.  My error this time.
2018-1-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Avocet Posted at 2018-1-17 07:37
HI Susan ... an aftermath.  I simply do not have the time at present to skirmish with DJI's repair service and support team.  I paid the price  and very unfairly I believe.  This is NOT a good business model for DJI or my fledgling UAV business.  Here's the problem and the solution:

PROB:  A recent flight showed that my forward and reverse right stick inputs were not working (I WAS able to save the craft using other inputs).  My P3P controller (gl300C) suddenly would not calibrate through the GO app.  Resetting the controller did not work either.   It was easy to observe that the calibration of the right stick was failing as forward and reverse movements were not registering on the calibration interface in the app.   Clearly, there was a hardware failure on my controller.  It has never been dropped, opened, modified and had less than 5 charges on it.  It was OUT of warranty by a few months.

Avocet, I'm sincerely sorry for the inconvenience. According to DJI's policy, the warranty period of RC is one year old, I'm afraid that repair fee is required if the unit has been out of warranty. Hope for your understanding. More details, please visit this link: https://www.dji.com/service/policy?site=brandsite&from=footer
Warranty Period.png
2018-1-18
Use props
Avocet
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-18 23:47
Avocet, I'm sincerely sorry for the inconvenience. According to DJI's policy, the warranty period of RC is one year old, I'm afraid that repair fee is required if the unit has been out of warranty. Hope for your understanding. More details, please visit this link: https://www.dji.com/service/policy?site=brandsite&from=footer

I am well versed in DJI Policy.  It was i WHO INFORMED DJI that the unit was out of warranty.  I merely was looking for a minor repair and was willing to pay for it.  3/4 the price of a new unit was not reasonable, nor was paying for completely unnecessary repair parts like the controller shell (front and back), the tablet mount, etc.  Those parts were undamaged and in perfect working condition.  At worst, the motherboard failed and I would pay the 148 USD for that.  Why isn't someone wondering why motherboards fail so soon into their work cycles?  Perhaps because it happens with alarming frequency?  Dunno.  Worse, no one seemed to have any interest in the details of the problem,my complaint, OR for my future business.
2018-1-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Avocet Posted at 2018-1-19 07:49
I am well versed in DJI Policy.  It was i WHO INFORMED DJI that the unit was out of warranty.  I merely was looking for a minor repair and was willing to pay for it.  3/4 the price of a new unit was not reasonable, nor was paying for completely unnecessary repair parts like the controller shell (front and back), the tablet mount, etc.  Those parts were undamaged and in perfect working condition.  At worst, the motherboard failed and I would pay the 148 USD for that.  Why isn't someone wondering why motherboards fail so soon into their work cycles?  Perhaps because it happens with alarming frequency?  Dunno.  Worse, no one seemed to have any interest in the details of the problem,my complaint, OR for my future business.

Could you leave your case number here? I'd like to double check the current status.
2018-1-22
Use props
Avocet
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-22 03:20
Could you leave your case number here? I'd like to double check the current status.

Current status?  I paid the bill, with great reluctance.  The item has shipped and is in transit.

CAS-1300315-D8N6P5

Very, VERY bad taste left in this pilot's mouth.  DJI needs customers like myself.  I AM the marketing target for DJI's business model.  Removing my options to be a DJI customer and a proponent of the DJI product line is blatantly counter productive to the success of DJI's future.
2018-1-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Avocet Posted at 2018-1-22 04:26
Current status?  I paid the bill, with great reluctance.  The item has shipped and is in transit.

CAS-1300315-D8N6P5

Per the case number, the package is indeed on the way, you will receive it soon. Regarding the repair fees, we're sincerely sorry that  free repair is not available when the warranty expired. That's the current policy.
2018-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules