Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 1 versus 2
1652 23 2017-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DocQuicksand
First Officer
Flight distance : 1048652 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am working on my FAA Remote Pilot License and have started shopping for my professional drone setup.  Just have a couple of questions...

1. Inspire 1 versus 2
a. Max Drone Speed
b. Collision Sensors (not sure that I will need them)

2. Camera Choice
a. Zenmuse 4 versus 5 - effective pixels, etc

Note that I will be using this for commercial purposes (inspections, aerial search, aerial photography / videography for hire, etc). I will not be shooting motion pictures on the big screen, not quite sure I need to spend the extra $1000 for a 6k camera? Sell me on it...

Thanks!

DocQuicksand
SjyPixel
2017-12-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello, DocQuicksand. Here is a brief answer to your questions, which can also be found in our website:
Max Speed of of Inspire 1: 49 mph or 79 kph (ATTI mode, no wind)
Max Drone Speed of Inspire 2: 58 mph or 94 kph(Sport mode)

Effective Pixels of X4S: 20 MP
Effective Pixels of X5S: 20.8MP

Could you please explain what Collision Sensor is? Do you mean sensor size? Sorry for my language barrier.
2017-12-8
Use props
WernerD
Captain
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Obstacle Avoidance, I guess.
Inspire 1: Ground only
Inspire 2: yes, on 5 directions if I am not mistaken?

Another important point: Inspire 1 will not get a camera upgrade.
2017-12-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

WernerD Posted at 2017-12-8 02:00
Obstacle Avoidance, I guess.
Inspire 1: Ground only
Inspire 2: yes, on 5 directions if I am not mistaken?

Hi, Werner, if collision sensor means obstacle avoidance, Inspire 2 only have three directions: forward, downward and upward.

2017-12-8
Use props
Mike9129
First Officer
Flight distance : 4112812 ft
Ireland

Will you be using it for mainly photos or video work?

theres practically nothing between the quality of stills ive gotten out of the inspire 1 x5 compared to the inspire 2 x5s

as for video, the inspire 2 wins by quite a lot. even without the prores/cindng licence, the standard video is quite a bit better, and you have farm more options for frame rates (inspire 1 is locked to 24/30fps 4k, and 50fps 1080p, the inspire 2 x5s goes to 60fps 4k and 120fps 1080p). That being said, if your only using the video feature for inspection instead of commercial video production, the inspire 1 will be plenty good.

if your looking to do just inspection work, you're going to want to get the x5 or x5s, not the x3 or x4 cameras. the reason being is you can swap the lens for something with far more zoom so you wont need to get as close to whatever it is your inspecting.

its probably also worth considering that, to the best of my knowledge, only the inspire 1 supports integrated thermal cameras at this point, might be something of relevance to you.
2017-12-8
Use props
DocQuicksand
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike9129 Posted at 2017-12-8 04:26
Will you be using it for mainly photos or video work?

theres practically nothing between the quality of stills ive gotten out of the inspire 1 x5 compared to the inspire 2 x5s

Thank you very much, very insightful... Still unsure as to which one to get though. I have been thinking about thermal imaging devices, sure they will be available for the 2 soon enough.
2017-12-8
Use props
Harryscopic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1422920 ft
Spain

DocQuicksand Posted at 2017-12-8 08:46
Thank you very much, very insightful... Still unsure as to which one to get though. I have been thinking about thermal imaging devices, sure they will be available for the 2 soon enough.

Thermal imaging, like the XT, on the Inspire 2... I wouldn't count on it.

2017-12-9
Use props
DocQuicksand
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Harryscopic Posted at 2017-12-9 01:04
Thermal imaging, like the XT, on the Inspire 2... I wouldn't count on it.

Thank you for the input! Though I am in the market, it isn't going to happen for a couple of months...
2017-12-9
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

The Inspire 1 camera can be used on a handheld Osmo gimbal too.  At least if the Inspire 1 doesn't fly, you can still use the camera unit in the Osmo.

Not so with the Inspire 2 cameras as most of the camera guts are inside the I2 body and not in the camera.  If the drone is out of service, so are the cameras.
2017-12-9
Use props
DocQuicksand
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-12-9 08:30
The Inspire 1 camera can be used on a handheld Osmo gimbal too.  At least if the Inspire 1 doesn't fly, you can still use the camera unit in the Osmo.

Not so with the Inspire 2 cameras as most of the camera guts are inside the I2 body and not in the camera.  If the drone is out of service, so are the cameras.

That is food for thought! Does look as if you are running an Inspire 2? Do you like it?
2017-12-9
Use props
Privateer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 117493 ft
United States

I do the type of work you are considering doing and having the ability to use the handheld Osmo has been a really good addition. I personally went with a used Inspire 1 Pro so I would have the X5 camera, then also bought the Osmo and X5 adapter. For me I figured I would get a used unit to make sure I liked doing the work and also I could get enough work to justify the much more expensive Inspire 2. I figured up the cost of a I2 how I would like to configure it and the total was around $12,000 US so for now I'm enjoying my I1 and learning lots to apply to the I2. I believe if you can learn to fly the I1 how you want then any learning accidents are cheaper now then with the I2 also. I figure next spring will bring some sort of handheld type option for the X5s/X7 series cameras. Hope this helps some
2017-12-9
Use props
DocQuicksand
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Privateer Posted at 2017-12-9 08:48
I do the type of work you are considering doing and having the ability to use the handheld Osmo has been a really good addition. I personally went with a used Inspire 1 Pro so I would have the X5 camera, then also bought the Osmo and X5 adapter. For me I figured I would get a used unit to make sure I liked doing the work and also I could get enough work to justify the much more expensive Inspire 2. I figured up the cost of a I2 how I would like to configure it and the total was around $12,000 US so for now I'm enjoying my I1 and learning lots to apply to the I2. I believe if you can learn to fly the I1 how you want then any learning accidents are cheaper now then with the I2 also. I figure next spring will bring some sort of handheld type option for the X5s/X7 series cameras. Hope this helps some

First and foremost, thank you for the reply as well as your insight. I think that I am moving more toward the Inspire 1 for a couple reasons. One, I'm pretty experienced at flying, so I don't think I need a dozen collisions sensors hanging off of it - just drawing more power that can be used for flight. Two, the cost. Like you, it would be a nice gateway drone and it will do everything that I want it to do. Now it is just a matter of which camera I want to hang off of it...

Thanks again!
2017-12-9
Use props
DocQuicksand
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Privateer Posted at 2017-12-9 08:48

Also, If you dont mind me asking... What kind of flight time can I expect out of the Inspire 1? And what is its max speed?
2017-12-9
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
United States

DocQuicksand Posted at 2017-12-9 08:37
That is food for thought! Does look as if you are running an Inspire 2? Do you like it?

It isn't without issues.

The sensor was tilted (One side is less sharp.) which I've seen in other DJI drones and returned some for that matter when new.
There were extra parts that fell out from manufacturing in my X5S camera.  Lens connection pins maybe.  Sensor seems okay even with them rattling around inside it.
The props were loose, but CA Medium glue fixed those (White ones too!) and are snug now.  I don't consider it as big an issue as some do as you can fix it.
It does drift about in hover as some others report, but not as wild as some report of 20 feet.  Maybe 2 feet here at most.
RC green LED will occasionally go dark while others are on and it loses the connection needing a reboot of the transmitter, but the drone is set to hover in place while I restart the transmitter.  Maybe a firmware bug as a dealer says some of Cendances they've sold do it too.  I've noticed the P4 is partially disconnecting too on another separate iPad setup too so it seems to be maybe an Apple or DJI bug somewhere, likely the USB is an issue as I can unplug and replug and get the system back.
The X5S of mine has a magenta cast to images in manual white balance, but one can put on a green correction filter to correct that.  Been a bug in the X-series cameras for a while now as DJI provides no tint control that others do.  Auto is fine, but I don't use it that much over manual settings so I fly with a CC10G gel behind the ND filter or in its own filter if no ND.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about it and sometimes wondered if the P4 Pro (Not the Plus) may have been a better choice given the same MP range.  I wish the I2 wasn't tied together where you cannot use the cameras for it handheld or on some other Osmo-like device should the body fail or become obsolete.  I have the X4S and the X5S both and can't see the X7 allowing me to move forward should the I2 body be abandoned for one with all the camera electronics back in the gimbal and not in the bird.  The X7 would become a pricey paperweight then.  Don't know about the special lenses for that one either as they are made only for it for now, where the X5 series lenses can go onto any u43 camera body.  I hate to say it, but the old I1 still has a lot of positives in that you can use the cameras should the bird become trashed or outdated if you have the Osmo for them.  As it is, the I2 is one very expensive camera system that is all tied together as a unit and it needs "that body" to work.

Whatever you do, check it out thoroughly when new and maybe go for an exchange for another if you discover something wrong.  I went through local Best Buy as they have a 14 day exchange (USA) rather than losing time sending it in for service and waiting and praying.

Good luck!

2017-12-9
Use props
DocQuicksand
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-12-9 09:44
It isn't without issues.

The sensor was tilted (One side is less sharp.) which I've seen in other DJI drones and returned some for that matter when new.

I appreciate the insight, you have really been helpful...
2017-12-9
Use props
Mike9129
First Officer
Ireland

for what its worth, i think the vibration plate in the inspire 1 with the x5 does a far better job than the one on the inspire 2 with the x5s.

it means you can more easily use the drone hand held and walk around with it, something which you could use an osmo for, but actually works even better when your holding the whole drone (inertia is a thing)

also battery times, with the inspire 1 and TB48 batteries, i always got between 12 and 15mins bringing me down to 30%
so far with the inspire 2, id be getting anything up to 20mins of flying time.

max speed ive seen on the I1 was about 65-70km/h
max speed on the I2 was 100km/h with the wind behind it, usually hovers around 90km/h otherwise

all that is subject to how hard your pushing the drone and if its windy or not.
2017-12-9
Use props
DocQuicksand
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike9129 Posted at 2017-12-9 14:35
for what its worth, i think the vibration plate in the inspire 1 with the x5 does a far better job than the one on the inspire 2 with the x5s.

it means you can more easily use the drone hand held and walk around with it, something which you could use an osmo for, but actually works even better when your holding the whole drone (inertia is a thing)

For what I will be using the I1 or I2, will likely not need a ton of speed, just nice to know its there if you need it. Also, I see that DJI has two different batteries for the I1, the TB48 is 5700mah? 15 minutes is at 30% is not too shabby. Typically run mine till about 10% which gives me enough time to bring it home (especially at 70km/h).

Thanks for your input!!!
2017-12-9
Use props
Mike9129
First Officer
Ireland

15 mins would be with all the best conditions and no doing muchwith it to be fair.

if your running the x5 on the inspire 1, its hardly worth thinking about the TB47, theres probably more than 2-3 mins of a difference when your flying. at least thats what it seems like, i always feel under pressure for time when im using the TB47 instead of the TB48 anyway.

id never leave the battery run much lower than 20% on landing just so if anything prevents me from landing straight away im not looking at money falling out of the sky
2017-12-9
Use props
DocQuicksand
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike9129 Posted at 2017-12-9 15:12
15 mins would be with all the best conditions and no doing muchwith it to be fair.

if your running the x5 on the inspire 1, its hardly worth thinking about the TB47, theres probably more than 2-3 mins of a difference when your flying. at least thats what it seems like, i always feel under pressure for time when im using the TB47 instead of the TB48 anyway.

Understandable...
2017-12-9
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
United States

Mike9129 Posted at 2017-12-9 14:35

I forgot about the I2 vibration.

For fun, I just put my finger on the lower plate under the forward obstacle sensors.  Yes, it is buzzy when compared to the upper plate which is solid.  But there is more....

I thought the heavier X5S might dampen the vibes, but was surprised the X4S has far less vibration than the X5S camera (Stock lens and balanced.) which is quite buzzy on mine.   The gimbal stepper motors must be adding to the buzziness of the heavier X5S felt at the plate to keep it steady.

Might be interesting for someone with the three cameras to see how the X7 is compared to the others.
2017-12-9
Use props
Plank!
Second Officer
Flight distance : 526798 ft
United Kingdom

I recently bought a used L1 with x3 gimbal.  With the supplied TB47 batteries I was only getting about 12 min flight time.
Since buying a couple of new TB48 batteries i've found I can get around 22mins on each of them - about the same as I'm getting from my Mavic.
2017-12-9
Use props
DocQuicksand
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Plank! Posted at 2017-12-9 16:31
I recently bought a used L1 with x3 gimbal.  With the supplied TB47 batteries I was only getting about 12 min flight time.
Since buying a couple of new TB48 batteries i've found I can get around 22mins on each of them - about the same as I'm getting from my Mavic.

Awesome! Good to know... Cheers!
2017-12-9
Use props
Henry M.Y.
First Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

DocQuicksand Posted at 2017-12-9 17:38
Awesome! Good to know... Cheers!

Official flight times from DJI: -

Inspire 1 X3 with TB48 battery, approximately 22 minutes hovering.
Inspire 1 X3 with TB47 battery, approximately 18 minutes hovering.

Inspire 1 Pro X5 with TB48 battery, approximately 18 minutes hovering.
Inspire 1 Pro X5 with TB47 battery, approximately 15 minutes hovering.

DJI didn't state to what % the battery power were drained in establishing their flight times. My experiences with my Inspire 1 Pro appeared to me that in order for me to achieve the same flight times with any of the configurations of cameras and battery types, I would have to use brand new batteries and would also have to drain the batteries to less than 5%. With my aged TB48 batteries (around 4900mAh instead of 5700mAh), the flight times of draining them down to 30% with X3 and X5 were around 13 minutes and 11 minutes respectively.

As battery ages, its capacity will gradually shrink. The more the battery is discharged close to exhaust state, the faster the battery will age. The same is true if the battery is frequently discharged under extreme temperature over 60 degree Celsius (140 degree Fahrenheit), is frequently kept under prolong period in low state-of-charge, or is frequently kept under prolong period of fully charged state.

Hope these help.

Henry
2017-12-10
Use props
DocQuicksand
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2017-12-10 03:30
Official flight times from DJI: -

Inspire 1 X3 with TB48 battery, approximately 22 minutes hovering.

I appreciate the insight Henry. Thank you for your reply, definitely helps...
2017-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules