Greasing Worm Screw Question
816 6 2017-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1997861 ft
Canada

I know this was covered before and which grease to use. I've been using  Tri Flow Synthetic grease on the worm screw. Great stuff. How I've been  applying it is under the rubber boot. I first clean as much of the old  grease off with WD40, and reapply. My main concern is how often are we  suppose to grease the worm screw during cold temperatures?

2017-12-7
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

i didnt know we had to... dam better do mine soon
2017-12-7
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

TruGreen Posted at 2017-12-7 23:36
i didnt know we had to... dam better do mine soon

In the Inspire 1 manual, it does state we do need to clean the worm screw if we see rust or dirt. DJI says in the manual we should use WD40. It says to clean it and then grease it. However... it doesn't state which grease to use. Tri Flow Synthetic grease has been around in the RC hobby for many years. Many people use it. When I questioned DJI about which grease to use, they said in the live chat 'general grease is fine'. I'm just not sure about cold temperatures. If we are required to grease it frequently. Usually I grease the lead screw 20-30 flights.
2017-12-7
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Cabralkev Posted at 2017-12-7 23:42
In the Inspire 1 manual, it does state we do need to clean the worm screw if we see rust or dirt. DJI says in the manual we should use WD40. It says to clean it and then grease it. However... it doesn't state which grease to use. Tri Flow Synthetic grease has been around in the RC hobby for many years. Many people use it. When I questioned DJI about which grease to use, they said in the live chat 'general grease is fine'. I'm just not sure about cold temperatures. If we are required to grease it frequently. Usually I grease the lead screw 20-30 flights.

I honestly don't think it is that crucial Kev, if it was an engine from an F1 car,  screaming out at 18,000rpm then viscosity would play a part, we are talking about a large, slow-moving screw, I think any old lube/grease/chip-fat would do. Temperature will only affect the viscosity, it will still be lubed.

Mark G.
2017-12-8
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-12-8 06:52
I honestly don't think it is that crucial Kev, if it was an engine from an F1 car,  screaming out at 18,000rpm then viscosity would play a part, we are talking about a large, slow-moving screw, I think any old lube/grease/chip-fat would do. Temperature will only affect the viscosity, it will still be lubed.

Mark G.

Ah I get it. I wasn't sure if the cold temperatures would play a big roll in the lubrication principles to grease.  During the summer I notice the tri flow synthetic grease becomes a bit runny because of the hot temperatures. Which I have no issue with, as long as I didn't apply a lot to the worm screw.

Oh 1 more thing. It's sort of on topic. During the cold, the transformation servo sounds different when cold. I was told this is normal? Sort of sounds like a whining sound. When I bring the Inspire home and transform it in warm temperature, the servo sounds normal.

Thanks for the help Mark
2017-12-8
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Cabralkev Posted at 2017-12-8 11:09
Ah I get it. I wasn't sure if the cold temperatures would play a big roll in the lubrication principles to grease.  During the summer I notice the tri flow synthetic grease becomes a bit runny because of the hot temperatures. Which I have no issue with, as long as I didn't apply a lot to the worm screw.

Oh 1 more thing. It's sort of on topic. During the cold, the transformation servo sounds different when cold. I was told this is normal? Sort of sounds like a whining sound. When I bring the Inspire home and transform it in warm temperature, the servo sounds normal.

I don't think I have noticed this before. It's really cold over here at the moment so I will look out for this over the weekend if the wind drops. Thanks for pointing that out Kev.

Mark G.
2017-12-8
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-12-8 12:19
I don't think I have noticed this before. It's really cold over here at the moment so I will look out for this over the weekend if the wind drops. Thanks for pointing that out Kev.

Mark G.

No problem, just something I noticed. I thought maybe the transformation servo motor was going... So I transformed the landing gear up and down a few times. Then touched the servo motor under the GPS. It was cool to the touch. I'd assume if the servo motor was having a hard time raising the landing gear up and down, the servo motor would be real hot. Raise and lower the landing gear while outside and see. You might hear the same whining sound I hear. My guess it's normal.
2017-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules