Something loose in my P4 Controller
1765 16 2017-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Quadified
lvl.2
United States

I just got a shiny new refurbished P4 delivered today, I mean like 30 minutes ago, and everything looked brand new. The box did not look damaged or anything. I picked up the controller and something is loose inside, rolling around. I'm pretty sure that is not natural. Anyone else have this issue?

I was so lookin forward to flying today, since it is so beautiful outiside!!! I'll have to contact DroneNerds and see if I need to send everything back, or just the controller. Maybe I'll call the local DJI store and see if I can just get a replacement from them?
2017-12-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

That's a tough one.  DJI will probably say send it back.  I think I would consider opening it up myself to take a look if I could do it without killing the warranty.  Good luck.  
2017-12-8
Use props
Quadified
lvl.2
United States

It turns out my local DJI store closed down recently......
2017-12-8
Use props
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

If it does function well then just ignore the sound. The main control board of the RC is mounted upside down to the upper cover. There is unlikely for internally short circuit to happen. DO NOT try opening the RC yourself. There is a cable strip to be taken off. If you are not do it correctly you can break it. However if you think you can do it, consult Youtube. There are videos showing about it. Good luck,
2017-12-8
Use props
Quadified
lvl.2
United States

That's good to know. Everything with the P4 seems to be functioning properly, so I think everything is fine. The sound is annoying, but while flying the drone I don't think it makes the noise much since I hold the controller steady and in a single position for the most part. Mainly, the sound becomes annoying when handling the controller separate from flying.

I'll keep it all for now and hope nothing bad happens, but as I said, everything seems good right now.

Thanks for the replies.
2017-12-11
Use props
Walk The Dog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 111955 ft
Canada

The sound you're hearing may be some of the plastic steps inside the controller that have broken off, there was a post about this recently I will try and find.

2017-12-11
Use props
Quadified
lvl.2
United States

Oh really? I did a search before I posted this, but did not find anything in my search return. Perhaps I didn't use good keywords. I'll take another look again. Thank you.
2017-12-11
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

Whatever you do DO NOT open the controller before the warranty expires under any circumstance. I speak from experience. Anything rolling around in the RC would drive me batty. I'd send it back. JMHO.
2017-12-11
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Quadified Posted at 2017-12-11 08:45
Oh really? I did a search before I posted this, but did not find anything in my search return. Perhaps I didn't use good keywords. I'll take another look again. Thank you.

I believe it is this thread WtD was thinking about.
2017-12-13
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

something like this mayBE ....
2017-12-13
Use props
Quadified
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for finding the thread and thanks for posting pics. It's quite possible that is what is happening inside my RC. For now, everything seems to work great. Mainly this was to be an entry level drone until I decide how much I want to invest further and which direction I want to go with drones.

I have my Spark, which is awesome and works great and keeps a low-profile so to speak. It's great when I want to fly under the radar, or just don't want nearby people thinking I'm intruding on them. BTW, I tend to follow the Part 107 FAA good flying practices. The P4 is something I plan to use when I want to do something more professional, and perhaps want a more professional looking drone. If things o well, I plan to upgrade to a better version of P4, or one of the Inspire Series.....or whatever may come out in the next year or so that may rest in between those two.

Anyways, thanks for the responses. I've decided to keep the P4 for now and just deal with the rattling noise inside the RC. When I fly, I don't even notice the sound.
2017-12-15
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Take the advice, don't open.  Dji will see this and void your warranty.  Send back.
2017-12-15
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

If the phone/tablet holder is not tightened, it can also sound like something is rattling.
2017-12-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Quadified Posted at 2017-12-15 10:43
Thanks for finding the thread and thanks for posting pics. It's quite possible that is what is happening inside my RC. For now, everything seems to work great. Mainly this was to be an entry level drone until I decide how much I want to invest further and which direction I want to go with drones.

I have my Spark, which is awesome and works great and keeps a low-profile so to speak. It's great when I want to fly under the radar, or just don't want nearby people thinking I'm intruding on them. BTW, I tend to follow the Part 107 FAA good flying practices. The P4 is something I plan to use when I want to do something more professional, and perhaps want a more professional looking drone. If things o well, I plan to upgrade to a better version of P4, or one of the Inspire Series.....or whatever may come out in the next year or so that may rest in between those two.

Hi, sir. Sorry for the trouble it brings. Please shoot a video for the RC with the sound for further check. I would not recommend you open the RC on your own. Thanks for your support.
2017-12-17
Use props
Quadified
lvl.2
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-12-15 22:33
If the phone/tablet holder is not tightened, it can also sound like something is rattling.

Thank you. I always make sure the tablet holder is on nice and tight.
2017-12-20
Use props
Quadified
lvl.2
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-12-17 22:38
Hi, sir. Sorry for the trouble it brings. Please shoot a video for the RC with the sound for further check. I would not recommend you open the RC on your own. Thanks for your support.

Thank you. I have no intention to open the RC unit. My wife took some video of the RC Unit before I took off any of the plastic packaging when it was freshly taken out of the box.

This is a refurbished unit, so it came from Drone Nerds, your authorized DJI repairer in the USA. They have offered me to send it back, but at this time I've decided to keep the drone as is for now.

I'll see about posting the video after my wife wakes up. It's very early morning here still.
2017-12-20
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Quadified Posted at 2017-12-20 09:17
Thank you. I have no intention to open the RC unit. My wife took some video of the RC Unit before I took off any of the plastic packaging when it was freshly taken out of the box.

This is a refurbished unit, so it came from Drone Nerds, your authorized DJI repairer in the USA. They have offered me to send it back, but at this time I've decided to keep the drone as is for now.

You are welcome. Please follow the advice from repairer and send the RC back for repair.
2017-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules