Storing Batteries
1438 28 2017-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

I plan on storing my drone batteries for 9 months, due to work requirements. Whats the best way to store them? They will be in my hardcase storage with my drone and in my closet.

Thanks for advice in advance.

2017-12-8
Use props
QiiFlight
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

Discharge them to about 50%. Refresh the charge to 50% after about 3 months if you can.
2017-12-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi Bago, please store the battery in a cool, dry place, avoid wet condition and exposure. Also, please refer to the tutorial for the battery maintenance. Thank you.
2017-12-9
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
United States

QiiFlight Posted at 2017-12-8 15:38
Discharge them to about 50%. Refresh the charge to 50% after about 3 months if you can.

I wont be able too, sad part..... since i be on a long ass deployment
2017-12-9
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Forgive me ... but forget all this about 50% and all ....

Set your batterys to auto discharge as per your desired .. I have 2 -3 days.

Charge FULLY ............ then let the 'board' take over. It will sit until the setting initiates discharge to about 55 - 60% ... then it will slow down and continue discharge till it hits lower limit. It will then enter hibernation mode. This then stops further discharge.

Leaving the battery in this state is supposed to be OK - but people do report difficulty bringing batterys back into use again. DJI say to switch on, leave alone for 5 minutes and then plug in charger. Leave till battery wakes up.

Personally I don't like trusting Hibernation mode - so I advocate charging up ... let auto-discharge do its work .... then after a few weeks check level - if its down into one LED - then I charge up again and restart the auto discharge sequence. The number of charges this would need is no problem and means battery is kept in good state to use later.

If you are going to leave the batterys completely alone for 9 months ? Then I would certainly not be charging to 50% and leave ... I would give full charge and leave to work the sequence - hoping that it wakes up 9 months later.

Is there no-one you know with RC gear that could look after the batterys and RC for you ... because 9 months could cause RC battery to fail as well ...

Nigel
2017-12-9
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-9 01:38
Hi Bago, please store the battery in a cool, dry place, avoid wet condition and exposure. Also, please refer to the tutorial for the battery maintenance. Thank you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siE2j6Ruj2k&list=PL8-vxWY64sBOmkQQJ2KWNL-uRBZsP43-r&index=7

Good video Thanks for share !!
2017-12-9
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-12-9 04:36

I wish it be that easy, because i have no one to who can do it. I'm just worried about alot of things, i have 5 batteries so. Its a huge risk im taking.
2017-12-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Best option:  I would give them to a friend or relative (e.g. parents) or someone you trust with careful instructions on how to take care of them the way you wish.  

If that's impossible, I like Nigel's post #5.  By allowing the smart battery self discharge to take over, the batteries will end up at around 65% charge, and then naturally deplete but very slowly.  They might survive the nine months.  

MHO
2017-12-9
Use props
Hail Damage 6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 429055 ft
United States

You might want to consider leaving them in the charging hub set on storage mode. Have someone keep them for you so they can check on them, maybe a local hobby store or a friend. Be safe on your deployment!
2017-12-9
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
United States

Hail Damage 6 Posted at 2017-12-9 05:12
You might want to consider leaving them in the charging hub set on storage mode. Have someone keep them for you so they can check on them, maybe a local hobby store or a friend. Be safe on your deployment!

Thanks I developing some ideas, hopefully I can figure it out, i have couple months before I leave just making sure i take the right precautions.
2017-12-9
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-12-9 05:07
Best option:  I would give them to a friend or relative (e.g. parents) or someone you trust with careful instructions on how to take care of them the way you wish.  

If that's impossible, I like Nigel's post #5.  By allowing the smart battery self discharge to take over, the batteries will end up at around 65% charge, and then naturally deplete but very slowly.  They would probably survive the nine months.  

Thanks I will give them all full charge before I leave then pray for the best until I return. I really wish i could take it but that option is out of the door. It sucks but ehh, i dont make the rules.
2017-12-9
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lots of suggestions above and most are valid. Suggestion, when you return cycle the batteries a few times and they should be good as new.
2017-12-9
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

5 batterys ..... I can feel your pain !

If there is such a reliable item as a storage maintenance hub - then maybe that's a good idea. But having seen all the "promised land" maintenance gear for RV's and various - I am always skeptical.

I would try to find a friend or someone you can ask to try look after them.

I have over 60 LiPo's but I don't go away for longer than a month or so now - most times week - 2 weeks. So I can live with them easily. I used to be on the ships with 5months or so - general batterys seemed to put up with it. But of course DJI wasn't around then ...

Nigel
2017-12-9
Use props
QiiFlight
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-12-9 04:36

Auto discharge is a great function. However if you are storing the batteries in a case or closed environment with no ventilation, they will heat up significantly through the auto discharge process. My comment was based on how I store my batteries long term to prevent auto discharge and the subsequent heat generation. I suppose if the batteries will not be stored in a closed case/backpack or container, the heat generated from the discharge would not be a concern.
2017-12-9
Use props
QiiFlight
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Auto discharge inside of hardcase will result in the batteries heating up due to the minimum amount of discharge current through the battery's circuitry. I have experienced this once. I have left my batteries discharged to ~50% for a 6 month deployment also. When I returned, the batteries were as good as the day I left them.
2017-12-9
Use props
Walk The Dog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 111955 ft
Canada

Just throwing it out there, ship them to me - I’ll keep an eye on them for you.

Trust is everything and I get that, but it’s an offer of assistance if it’s going to sit on your mind while you’re gone.  
2017-12-9
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

QiiFlight Posted at 2017-12-9 09:24
Auto discharge is a great function. However if you are storing the batteries in a case or closed environment with no ventilation, they will heat up significantly through the auto discharge process. My comment was based on how I store my batteries long term to prevent auto discharge and the subsequent heat generation. I suppose if the batteries will not be stored in a closed case/backpack or container, the heat generated from the discharge would not be a concern.

The amount of heat produced is minimal ... but of course its always better to store where ventilation is.

To be honest _ I don't like idea of storing in the backpack case with the other gear. These are LiPo's regardless of DJI shenanikins on them ...

Better to store in a cool area away from domestics etc.

Nigel
2017-12-9
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

QiiFlight Posted at 2017-12-9 09:28
Auto discharge inside of hardcase will result in the batteries heating up due to the minimum amount of discharge current through the battery's circuitry. I have experienced this once. I have left my batteries discharged to ~50% for a 6 month deployment also. When I returned, the batteries were as good as the day I left them.

The problem with discharging to 50% - is that the discharge does not stop there. It continues at a slow rate still.

Charging fully and then letting Auto work adds that bit of time to the equation ... auto goes to about 60 - 65% and then slows ...

It may just be the difference he needs for 9 months against your 6.

Nigel
2017-12-9
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
United States

QiiFlight Posted at 2017-12-9 09:28

So It will be in a hardcase stored in my closet while Im gone,  I am worried bust of the fact I wont have anyone to check while Im gone so its just stressing me out.

one of my suggestion was taking the batteries with me n leave the drone behind and atleast I can have them with me lol
2017-12-9
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
United States

Walk The Dog Posted at 2017-12-9 09:29
Just throwing it out there, ship them to me - I’ll keep an eye on them for you.

Trust is everything and I get that, but it’s an offer of assistance if it’s going to sit on your mind while you’re gone.

Sure, why not lol
2017-12-9
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
United States

This is how I plan to store them while i am gone

2017-12-9
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

I would be inclined to have them out of the case and more free. Do you have an area such as a porch or entrance area that does not freeze but is safe to have on a shelf ?

Nigel
2017-12-9
Use props
QiiFlight
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BagoDJIoperator Posted at 2017-12-9 10:17
This is how I plan to store them while i am gone

[view_image]

This is exactly how I had my batteries stored and it created enough heat to notice when I opened the case and each battery was uncomfortably warm. The only reason I opened the case 8 days after storage was to get an extra SD card I had stowed. My batteries were set to commence auto discharge after 3 days.
2017-12-9
Use props
QiiFlight
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-12-9 09:36
The amount of heat produced is minimal ... but of course its always better to store where ventilation is.

To be honest _ I don't like idea of storing in the backpack case with the other gear. These are LiPo's regardless of DJI shenanikins on them ...

5 batteries discharging in an unventilated Styrofoam case did NOT result in minimal heat being created. I would advise against storing the batteries fully charged in a place where there is no ventilation.
2017-12-9
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
United States

QiiFlight Posted at 2017-12-9 12:23
This is exactly how I had my batteries stored and it created enough heat to notice when I opened the case and each battery was uncomfortably warm. The only reason I opened the case 8 days after storage was to get an extra SD card I had stowed. My batteries were set to commence auto discharge after 3 days.

I would take them out and maybe have them on a shelf in my closet, so it doesnt overheat or anything. Cant afford starting a fire now lol.
2017-12-9
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
United States

QiiFlight Posted at 2017-12-9 12:23

one question, how do set your battery to auto discharge?
2017-12-9
Use props
QiiFlight
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BagoDJIoperator Posted at 2017-12-9 12:46
one question, how do set your battery to auto discharge?

They are initially set to start the auto discharge after 10 days of non-use. You can change that setting to anywhere between 1 and 10 days.
Install the battery into your drone
Power it up
Navigate to your battery settings, Page shown below.
Select advanced settings and the option will be there.
You will need to do this for each battery

2017-12-9
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
United States

QiiFlight Posted at 2017-12-9 13:44
They are initially set to start the auto discharge after 10 days of non-use. You can change that setting to anywhere between 1 and 10 days.
Install the battery into your drone
Power it up

thanks very much. i really appreciate it.
2017-12-9
Use props
QiiFlight
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BagoDJIoperator Posted at 2017-12-9 13:58
thanks very much. i really appreciate it.

No sweat. I know what being deployed is like. Do good and stay safe.
2017-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules