Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
I just received a package from DBS Mods
1234Next >
11995 158 2015-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nrgwise
First Officer

United States

And it contained the 'controversial' Itelite antenna and cables.  No instructions which I am not happy about as installation via the video is not ideal.  

Anyway, I may have made a mistake.  I didn't realize that the connectors would not be able to be undone so the unit could be removed so it will fit in my case (not uninstalled, just removed).  If that is the case, I am not installing this unit ever.  So unless someone can reassure me that I can screw/unscrew these connectors every time I want to use my quad (I wish the thread was still here because it was in that thread I believe I saw the comment that they should not be unscrewed once installed) I will be giving it away.

2015-4-15
Use props
acenothing
Second Officer
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

What do you mean the connectors?  The sma cables or the antenna support or other?
2015-4-15
Use props
nrgwise
First Officer

United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-16 00:12
What do you mean the connectors?  The sma cables or the antenna support or other?

SMA connectors - the unit itself just slides off the extender.
2015-4-15
Use props
gil
Captain
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

It looks like you would need to do the same kind mods on the transmitter and WiFi extender for the Itelite system as I did with one of the FPVLR STAGE 2 KIT - PILOT'S SIDE antenna kits.  

Here is a link to the videos http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=27060#p249117
2015-4-15
Use props
nrgwise
First Officer

United States

gil Posted at 2015-4-16 00:19
It looks like you would need to do the same kind mods on the transmitter and WiFi extender for the I ...

I know what the mod is, just that the only instruction is on a video that frankly, was not very well done and it was very hard to read the text printed on the screen.  Also nowhere is the distinction made what cable goes on port 1/2/3.
2015-4-15
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.1

United States

I should have mine today or tomarrow
2015-4-15
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.1

United States

the Connectors in question are the ones that attatch to the wi fi and radio body that the antenna cables screw onto. they look like coax connectors. Those can be unscrewed for storage. The other end of those small sma cables that goes to the circut board of the extender and radio, those stay attatched. the other end that is held to the case where the antenna threads onto, those can be taken apart since they thread like coax cables. Your still safe.
   I tryed to post a pic showing my setup which is already done. Only need to attatch antenna. But the pic files are to big to upload.
2015-4-15
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.4

United States

David is correct. The connectors that can not be removed several times are the U.FL connectors that attach inside the unit to the board.The RP-SMA or SMA connectors that you screw the antennas or extension cables on to out side the unit can be screwed off and removed without damage.
U.FL Connectors look like this

And RP-SMA look like this
2015-4-15
Use props
nrgwise
First Officer

United States

davidw1963@att. Posted at 2015-4-16 00:32
the Connectors in question are the ones that attatch to the wi fi and radio body that the antenna ca ...

Thanks, but I don't think I am going to do this mod.  I am sitting here at my desk testing the cables and I don't think - even though they look like coax connectors - they are meant to be screwed on and off.  They are delicate and all you need is one mis-thread and you are dead in the water.  Already three out of 5 times the cables have started to mis-thread when trying to connect.

So, anyone want this thing?  First person to post a yes, gets it.
2015-4-15
Use props
CapitAn
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Yes, l would take it, but l'll pay you for it
2015-4-15
Use props
CapitAn
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

There's a post on "the other" forum of people who have ordered and are getting around to installing. Maybe wait a while to see how theirs go before selling it
2015-4-15
Use props
nrgwise
First Officer

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-4-16 00:53
Yes, l would take it, but l'll pay you for it

send me an address to nrgwiseflies at the gmail place and it will in the post this afternoon or tomorrow at noon.
2015-4-15
Use props
nrgwise
First Officer

United States

stock12to32 Posted at 2015-4-16 00:46
David is correct. The connectors that can not be removed several times are the U.FL connectors that  ...

I know the difference in the connectors.  I just don't like these at all.  I am sure you can take them off and on as you say, but to me it looks like a disaster waiting to happen.  I would hate to be out all ready to fly and one of those cross threads or heaven forbid the cable gets bent (seen that happen loads of times) so I am just not comfortable with it.
2015-4-15
Use props
nrgwise
First Officer

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-4-16 00:54
There's a post on "the other" forum of people who have ordered and are getting around to installing. ...

I am not selling it, I am giving it away.  I don't know what 'the other' forum is. To be honest when I ordered my thoughts were much different than they are now.  I don't see distance as all that big a deal.  I thought at first it would be nice since I live in a very hilly/mountainous area.  But after reading a lot more and flying a bit more, I realize distance is not what is important.  It is just a thing you can say you can do "Oh, I can get xxxxx feet"  Okay, I get the attraction in a way, but in reality, for me, it is just not practical.  Can't do anything with the quad out that far except say you flew that far.
2015-4-15
Use props
jtrjr
Captain
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-4-16 00:58
I know the difference in the connectors.  I just don't like these at all.  I am sure you can take  ...

Chris,

You sound peed. Slow down and breath for a minute. Just a thought, just giving you another idea. I purchased a second transmitter and wifi extender for the same reason. If it didn't work out, I could always go back to the original, known good. I know it's not the ideal solution but you're already in $90. The next best antenna is right around the corner! IMO, with the Phantom 3 on the horizon, it's not a bad idea having a few "extras" lying around anyway. Just trying to help...

Jerry
2015-4-15
Use props
nrgwise
First Officer

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-16 01:06
Chris,

You sound peed. Slow down and breath for a minute. Just a thought, just giving you another ...

Jerry,
No, not peed, just disappointed is all.  Not what I thought it would be and not worth it to me to install.  The money is nothing, least of my concerns.  I would rather someone take it and use it than let it collect dust on a shelf somewhere.

Chris
2015-4-15
Use props
jtrjr
Captain
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-4-16 01:12
Jerry,
No, not peed, just disappointed is all.  Not what I thought it would be and not worth it to ...

I hear you. That's really disappointing. I should be getting mine today. I'm not very excited now. Good thing I still got the FPVLR Stage 2 sitting here, I could be installing that instead. Although, the connecting cables on that looked pretty dainty as well.

Jerry
2015-4-15
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.4
United States

Exactly the same cables.  And I have had some problems with mine.  One of the u.fl ends ripped right off.  I got some off amazon that look to be a lot better.  I had asked Tony at FPVLR, and his cables were cheap (like $2.71) but he wanted over ten bucks to ship them.  On a antenna that I paid quite a pretty penny for just a month ago I was a bit disappointed myself.  I got the amazon cables and all is well.  I may keep a few spares because they seem to be pretty fragile.
2015-4-15
Use props
jtrjr
Captain
United States

gary.ok@hotmail Posted at 2015-4-16 02:03
Exactly the same cables.  And I have had some problems with mine.  One of the u.fl ends ripped right ...

Gary,

Hey, do you have a link to the cables you ended up using from Amazon? Maybe, I'll just get them before I even start any install. How do you like your stage 2 so far? I've got to make a decision on using that or this new panel and the new panel ain't sounding ideal at this early stage.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jerry
2015-4-15
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.4
United States

Sure;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far I am pretty happy with it.  5000 feet was pretty easy, but I took the antenna off and when I put it back on I started to have problems with the wifi.  Turns out the nut on the outside the of the extender was not snug, and the cable twisted inside.  That loosened and then snapped the u.fl connector.  All back together now.  Going to try it out after work.

2015-4-15
Use props
Raybro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-16 01:20
I hear you. That's really disappointing. I should be getting mine today. I'm not very excited now. ...

Agree, I have to fiddle with those type of connectors sometimes at work. Typical connector for laptop wireless mini-pci cards. They can be difficult.
2015-4-15
Use props
jtrjr
Captain
United States

gary.ok@hotmail Posted at 2015-4-16 02:19
Sure;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GWMBB80/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gary,

Thanks. Amazon only has one in stock right now, so I guess I'll have to wait or find another that's as good. Glad you're getting decent results. Hope you have some good flying later. Let me know how it went.

Thanks again,

Jerry
2015-4-15
Use props
jtrjr
Captain
United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-16 02:27
Agree, I have to fiddle with those type of connectors sometimes at work. Typical connector for lapt ...

Ray,

Do you know where I would look to get some decent one's? I'd just assume put off an install until I can do it right. I see a few of them but I wouldn't know one from another. Which ones are good, which ones aren't.

Jerry
2015-4-15
Use props
Raybro
Second Officer
United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-16 02:38
Ray,

Do you know where I would look to get some decent one's? I'd just assume put off an install  ...

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/RP-SM ... le-Patch-Cable.html

maybe??
EDIT: It is a pretty typical connector, just very small. They snap on to the male side pretty tightly. And not a connector you would want to have to connect and disconnect all the time because 1. they are a pain in the butt. 2. eventually the wire will break.
2015-4-15
Use props
Raybro
Second Officer
United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-16 02:38
Ray,

Do you know where I would look to get some decent one's? I'd just assume put off an install  ...

Were those the connectors you were looking for?
2015-4-15
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

The Itelite website is still up.  They have some contact info on the website.

http://www.itelite.net/drone/
2015-4-15
Use props
jtrjr
Captain
United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-16 02:43
http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/RP-SM ... le-Patch-Cable.html

maybe??

Sorry Ray, I'm just not sure. I don't know much about the technical aspects of the different cables and connectors. I know they're small and dainty but if I'm going to go through the hassle of installing the mod I'd like to use the best quality stuff that I can upfront. Even if it costs a little more. I just got mine in the mail as well and based on what I see I'd say these connectors are going to be the weakest link. I'm sure we'll start hearing things from guys that know better than me over the next few weeks. I'm in no hurry. I can wait and see what some of the guys with some more experience start to say.

Thanks, Man...

Jerry
2015-4-15
Use props
Raybro
Second Officer
United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-16 04:28
Sorry Ray, I'm just not sure. I don't know much about the technical aspects of the different cable ...

Ok, in my dealings with laptops and tablets, those type connectors are typically used in enclosed devices because they fragile. My FPV setup has all SMA type connectors.
2015-4-15
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.4
United States

The small U.fl male connector is inside the wifi range extender and in theory should not move.  What I did was when I made my two penetrations in the plastic I didn't get the SMA tightened down enough so when I threaded on the antenna the SMA rotated inside a bit.  This put some stress on the crimp on U.fl connector and it pulled off the wire.  Had I done this right the connection should not move once the wifi extender is closed up.  As far as cables go I think the ones that Tony provides and sells are top notch.  My issue was more that to get a new set was $6 for the cables and $10 for the shipping.  The ones I got from Amazon should do the trick though and I fixed the issue with the SMA.  Now nice and tight.
2015-4-15
Use props
jtrjr
Captain
United States

gary.ok@hotmail Posted at 2015-4-16 04:49
The small U.fl male connector is inside the wifi range extender and in theory should not move.  What ...

Yeah, I get it Gary. If amazon had more than 1 in stock I would have just bought them and done the mod. I'd much rather take the input that I get from guys like you than from any particular vendor, manufacturer or salesperson that has skin in the game. I live in the boonies so Amazon is my supplier for damned near everything. Prime member, so no shipping costs. I'm like you, I'm not buying a $6 item and paying $10 to ship it. Thanks for you help and input.

Jerry

EDIT: Actually, I think I may have ordered an extra set about a month ago. I'll have to go look in my Phantom "inventory"!
2015-4-15
Use props
nrgwise
First Officer

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-16 05:25
Yeah, I get it Gary. If amazon had more than 1 in stock I would have just bought them and done the ...

<insert distracting comment now> check email <end distracting comment>
2015-4-15
Use props
davidw63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

Got mine today and all ready to fly.
2015-04-15 19.23.15.jpg
2015-04-15 19.22.46.jpg
2015-4-15
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

davidw63@comcas Posted at 2015-4-16 07:51

You have to give us a revue on this after you fly.  We're all looking forward to that.
2015-4-15
Use props
jtrjr
Captain
United States

davidw63@comcas Posted at 2015-4-16 07:51

David,

Okay any tricks or tips on the install? You're the pioneer! Give us the scoop.

Jerry
2015-4-15
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.4
United States

I actually like the way that looks.  I was not a big fan of the way those were released and some of the comments made, but in looking at them they do look pretty good.  I just flew mine and was a little disappointed.  I got everything fixed correctly and would loose wifi at 2200'  Almost every time at the same spot.  For my needs that is enough, but I thought I would get more.  I was for a time getting a lot more.  Not sure what happened.  Let us know how you do with that.  Might be worth a try.
2015-4-15
Use props
davidw63
lvl.4
United States

I already had the housing modified from the last antenna setup including the controller. It has the 3 sma connectors that goes into both units. long one is for the RC controller, the 2 shorter ones are for the extender. On the bottom of the panel, the one connector to far left is for the RC radio and the other 2 closer together is for the extender. The 90Deg fittings screw on to the bottom of the antenna since one side is male and other is.. well.. you know.. lol. Here are a few pics of the peices in the carry case. Im still cutting out the foam for correct fit.
2015-04-15 21.19.27.jpg
2015-04-15 21.19.11.jpg
2015-4-15
Use props
davidw63
lvl.4
United States

another one
There are 4 studs on back of the antenna for the bracket that can be mounted in 3 differnt positions, left, right, and middle.
2015-04-15 21.28.58.jpg
2015-4-15
Use props
davidw63
lvl.4
United States

another angle
2015-04-15 21.28.48.jpg
2015-4-15
Use props
davidw63
lvl.4
United States

May want to put a peice of duct tape on the extender where the bracket slides on to help protect it. I keep mine just loose enougth so it can be slid off easyly without tools.
2015-4-15
Use props
jtrjr
Captain
United States

Thanks David! A picture's worth a thousand words and I can't send one!

Jerry
2015-4-15
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules