What is a good way of draining the batteries?
3015 24 2017-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

In just a few days I'll be taking my P4P with me to the Philippines.  I have been told that they recommend draning the batteries as much as possible before a flight.  I don't know if that is a TSA or international recommendation.  Regardless, it is now below freezing outside and I forgot to NOT recharge the batteries the last time I flew around Point Place.  

Does anyone have any recommendaiton on what is the best way to drain the batteries for your P4P before flying overseas?
And if anyone else has experience traveling overseas with their P4P, let me know if you did the same.  
Thank You!
drone-christmas-2.jpg
2017-12-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Use simulator or you purchase a small gadget from dji that will connect to battery has two USB ports you can then drain by charging your phone.
2017-12-9
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-9 16:31
Use simulator or you purchase a small gadget from dji that will connect to battery has two USB ports you can then drain by charging your phone.

Thank you.  Flight is four days away... too late for buying anything else (Sorry, DJI) . I should have thought about this sooner,
2017-12-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have been told that they recommend draning the batteries as much as possible before a flight.  I don't know if that is a TSA or international recommendation.
"They" recommend all kinds of things which quite often are incorrect.
It's a better idea to go to the source rather than accepting what "they" say.
Check the website for your airline and search for Lithium or Batteries and you'll find no requirement to drain your batteries.
All the airlines base their recommendations of the FAA guidelines which you can read here:
https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

People travel every day without anyone caring what the charge level of their batteries is.
If it was important, everyone travelling with a laptop would also have to discharge them.

There are important requirements regarding traveling with lithium batteries but discharging them is not one of them.
It's a common forum myth.
2017-12-9
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-12-9 18:07
I have been told that they recommend draning the batteries as much as possible before a flight.  I don't know if that is a TSA or international recommendation.
"They" recommend all kinds of things which quite often are incorrect.
It's a better idea to go to the source rather than accepting what "they" say.

Actually, THEY, referring to Filipinos, people who have traveled to the Philippines with their UAVs, and a few people who work within the government.

I am well aware of the laws in the U.S.  But as I stated, this is an international flight and rules change from country to country.  But thank you anyways.
2017-12-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-12-9 21:42
Actually, THEY, referring to Filipinos, people who have traveled to the Philippines with their UAVs, and a few people who work within the government.

I am well aware of the laws in the U.S.  But as I stated, this is an international flight and rules change from country to country.  But thank you anyways.

Nothing here about discharging batteries:
https://www.philippineairlines.c ... AndFlammableLiquids

And you'll be checking in in the USA and going through TSA security.
No-one on the US side is at all concerned about battery levels.
There has never been anyone report the TSA checking.

Just make sure you don't have batteries in checked luggage.
That's their only concern.
2017-12-9
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If you have the DJI Charging hub, just use the storage function to get your batteries down to 50%

or if you don't,  just hover the P4P inside
2017-12-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

In fact to say they don't care is not correct.

I travel internationally extensively.

Not long ago - USA and others who followed their lead required Computers and similar to be shown to power up during security check if requested. This has not been rescinded.

Lithium batterys after hover boards and various incidents INCLUDING Boeing's own errors ! created the requirement for discharged batterys to be in the cabin and not hidden away in checked baggage. This again  was a USA inspired action.

One of the biggest problems - is not official requirements - but the interpretation by Check-In staff and Security. A good example is Gas inflated lifejackets. Being a Yachtie and required to have when boarding ships for inspection etc. - I used to carry my personal own. A gas cylinder of 30gr is perfectly legal to carry ............. try telling some airport staff who call you on tannoy system to report to baggage section ... and then demand you discard it !!
I have seen people with batterys having hard time when I've been sorting my CO2 cylinders ...

I don't like idea of deep discharging - but it is generally regarded as the safest state to have the LiPo in ... so that's what I would do regardless of officialdom.

Nigel
2017-12-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Do you have a link?  Thanks!  
2017-12-10
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-12-9 22:45
Nothing here about discharging batteries:
https://www.philippineairlines.com/en/ph/Home/TravelInformation/BeforeYouFly/BaggageInformation/SpecialBaggage/BatteriesAndFlammableLiquids

Thank you.
I'm not flying Philippine airlines.  In fact I WILL NEVER FLY PHILIPPINE AIRLINES.
The last time I did, I was carrying thousands of dollars for helping the victims of typhoon Yolanda.
Philippine Airlines stopped me on the walkway to the plane and would not let me on their plane till I gave them $100.  I have flown on EVA, Korea Air, Asiana, Delta, Cebu Pacific, none of which have ever surrounded me by a half dozen passenger service personnel who demanded a ransom just feet away from the plane.
Philippine Airlines has tried to sweep this under the rug and I say this as a friend of the son of the owner of Philippine Airlines.  But thank you for sharing their information.
2017-12-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-12-10 05:37
Do you have a link?  Thanks!

https://m.dji.com/category/phantom-4-series?from=shop

There are two pieces one is €16 one is €7 I find these very handy.

$14 & $6 in US
2017-12-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Cool - thanks!
2017-12-10
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-10 05:44
https://m.dji.com/category/phantom-4-series?from=shop

There are two pieces one is €16 one is €7 I find these very handy.

Thank you, Hallmark.  I looked at that before and thought it was a USB CHARGING port.  I was trying to figure out why would I need to charge my USB drive.  hahaha.  
Well, this is why me aks such question that unto others must seem basic knowledge.  

But unfortunately with three days till my flight out of here, anything I buy at this point I won't see until February when I return.
2017-12-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-12-10 09:40
Thank you, Hallmark.  I looked at that before and thought it was a USB CHARGING port.  I was trying to figure out why would I need to charge my USB drive.  hahaha.  
Well, this is why me aks such question that unto others must seem basic knowledge.  

Good luck and enjoy the trip, happy holidays.
2017-12-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-12-10 05:13
In fact to say they don't care is not correct.

I travel internationally extensively.

Lithium batterys  .....  created the requirement for discharged batterys to be in the cabin.
What requirement?
Can you find any airline at all that recommends discharging batteries (the size of Phantom batteries)?
I've been looking for two years and still haven't found a single one.
Despite the facts, the myth still gets spread in forums like this.   

The origin of the myth is that when shipped as freight, lithium batteries have to be discharged as per IATA guidelines:  https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/ca ... ocument-2017-en.pdf

However IATA guidelines for small batteries are carried in carry-on luggage make no mention of any requirement to discharge:  http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/car ... lithium-battery.pdf
2017-12-10
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Kuta K make sure to pack your charger & we want to see some footage while you are away otherwise you could be sitting at home, feet up and fire going
2017-12-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-12-10 09:40

There's also the TELESIN discharger for P3 batterys ... has USB port to transfer the energy to charging phones etc.

eBay is full of them ..... just search Phantom 3 discharger.

Nigel
2017-12-11
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-12-11 07:11
There's also the TELESIN discharger for P3 batterys ... has USB port to transfer the energy to charging phones etc.

eBay is full of them ..... just search Phantom 3 discharger.

The storage function on the DJI charging hub takes about 3 days to discharge one battery down to 50%.  Thats my experience anyway.
2017-12-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Anokadrone Posted at 2017-12-11 07:40
The storage function on the DJI charging hub takes about 3 days to discharge one battery down to 50%.  Thats my experience anyway.

No different really to the auto -discharge function then ........

Set auto discharge to one day on all batterys and you'll have them similar after 3 days !

For common users - no real use for dischargers as the Auto-Discharge function sorts it fine. I only have the Telesin for using the power to run various USB items ....

One neat trick ...

When updating or bench testing the P3 ... I stand it on a USB powered Laptop cool pad. I use a DJI battery with the Telesin to power the pad. It takes very little power in that time and pack can be one already at storage level. Or you could use an old DJI pack that no longer gives good flight time ...

A later addition to my inventory is the Soloshot 3 camera system. I can use a DJI pack with the Telesin to top up the SS3 battery in base and tag ... in the field.

Nigel
2017-12-11
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer

United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-12-11 08:06
No different really to the auto -discharge function then ........

Set auto discharge to one day on all batterys and you'll have them similar after 3 days !

You mentioned setting the auto-discharge function to one day.  How is that done?  Is that in the DJIGO4 app?
2017-12-11
Use props
drone flyer 955
lvl.2

United States

I like the simulator idea, nice one.
2017-12-11
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer

United States

Anokadrone Posted at 2017-12-11 09:59
You mentioned setting the auto-discharge function to one day.  How is that done?  Is that in the DJIGO4 app?

Maybe I should rephrase my question:  Is there a way to set the auto-discharge function on the DJI batteries?
2017-12-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Anokadrone Posted at 2017-12-12 07:33
Maybe I should rephrase my question:  Is there a way to set the auto-discharge function on the DJI batteries?

In the app -> Settings -> Batteries.
You have to have the Phantom connected and do it separately for each battery you want to change.
2017-12-12
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
United Arab Emirates

Labroides Posted at 2017-12-12 17:28
In the app -> Settings -> Batteries.
You have to have the Phantom connected and do it separately for each battery you want to change.

As he says ....

Basically power all up .... set the auto discharge in the menu.

Then repeat power up for each battery and each will be set to the same.

Nigel
2017-12-12
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer

United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-12-12 22:51
As he says ....

Basically power all up .... set the auto discharge in the menu.

Thanks guys, I will check it out
2017-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules