BEST DEVICE FOR MAVIC PRO
2571 18 2017-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Koia Koia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 772867 ft
United States

I'm looking to find a device that fits inside the controller without modification.  Something is wrong with my phone that iwll not allow it to connect.  I actually think the phone has a bad usb port it charges but will not connect to computer.  Anyway I am currently using my Nexus 9 which dc's during flights quite frequently and just doesn't seem to have enough oompf to power the dji go app.  So I have heard the ipad mini is a great option that still fits albeit barely.  Is iOS the way to go with dji app?  Or does it have just as many problems as Android?  Also would a mini 2 work or do I need 3 or 4?  This device would be exclusively used to pilot drone.  I wouldn't be against getting a mount for a larger tablet but looking to not brak the bank at this time on more hardware for my 1000 dollar drone.  Wife would be unappreciative.

Thanks,
Koia
2017-12-9
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

IMO, any IOS device if you're asking for the best.
2017-12-9
Use props
Koia Koia
lvl.2
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-9 17:03
IMO, any IOS device if you're asking for the best.

Do you think pretty much any of them would work successfully or do I need a newer device for the increased cpu power?

K
2017-12-9
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Koia Koia Posted at 2017-12-9 17:04
Do you think pretty much any of them would work successfully or do I need a newer device for the increased cpu power?

K

iPhone Plus (bigger screen) or depending on preference an iPad mini 2 would be ideal.
2017-12-9
Use props
Koia Koia
lvl.2
United States

Was looking at the two.  They are quite inexpensive used.  Just don't want to end up with half a dozen devices that don't get the job done.  Anyone using a mini 2 currently and hoes your experience?
2017-12-10
Use props
xtrmtrk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 60013 ft
United States

If you will ever want to capture video on your phone or tablet you'll probably want the most powerful CPU you can get in your device.  Capturing local video oten causes the Go 4 and Litchi apps to crash on my iPad 2.  Likewise, if you think you'll ever want to use the Autopilot software from Hangar you'll also need all of the computing power you can get.  My iPad Mini 4 can barely run Autopilot.  My iPhone X does it pretty well.
2017-12-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Definitely a plus model - I recommend the 7, 8 or X. GO 4 is officially optimised for the iPhone 7+. I use it and never have any issues. Ensure to update the phones firmware to IOS 11.2 though whichever one you get or you’ll have app crash issues during flight. If going for a larger device The iPad Mini 4 best suits due to the more powerful CPU over the other mini’s - Mini 2 tends to lag. That said, I sold my Mini 4 and just use my 7+ - the RC is designed for it and it performs perfectly with the Mavic.
2017-12-10
Use props
xtrmtrk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 60013 ft
United States

I'd also add that you should make sure your device has GPS - some of the control apps can make great use of that.  The WiFi-only version of the iPad Mini 4 does NOT have a GPS.
2017-12-10
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2017-12-10 10:17
Definitely a plus model - I recommend the 7, 8 or X. GO 4 is officially optimised for the iPhone 7+. I use it and never have any issues. Ensure to update the phones firmware to IOS 11.2 though whichever one you get or you’ll have app crash issues during flight. If going for a larger device The iPad Mini 4 best suits due to the more powerful CPU over the other mini’s - Mini 2 tends to lag. That said, I sold my Mini 4 and just use my 7+ - the RC is designed for it and it performs perfectly with the Mavic.

" just use my 7+ - the RC is designed for it and it performs perfectly with the Mavic."

Yeah it does performs just perfect with the Plus don't think I would use any other device.
2017-12-10
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

My s8+ perdorms exceptional any ios device ive tried mini 4 and phones always get a message about cpu being taxed and also being disconnected .....not one single problem with my s8+ no disconnects no cpu problems just awesomeness....so if u ask me the s8+ has the power speed and reliability. Imo best device. Of course we all know its an expensive device so  a cheaper great device that performs excellent is the nvidia shield tablet
2017-12-10
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

X has problems right now my buddy cant even fly...the ipad mini 4 isnt quite strong enough anymore with the  latest releases of go 4 ....guarantee u will get cpu overliad related performance will suffer message. Plus its not really bright in sun....at all the only ios product i know for certain that works great is the 7+....and no i am not an android fanboy i have my share of ios priducts like ipads and macbook
2017-12-10
Use props
Koia Koia
lvl.2
United States

Yeah I can't afford a iPhone 7 plus for sure or an s8.  Is the shield tablet decent and will it fit in the controller arms or have to get a mount?
2017-12-10
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think the DJI is made for IOS stuff.
2017-12-10
Use props
Koia Koia
lvl.2
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-12-10 14:57
I think the DJI is made for IOS stuff.

Gonna try a mini 4 4g version.  Hopefully it's serviceable.  I don't care about recording on the device or streaming from it or whatever.  And there is no way I can justify putting another almost 1k in a device just to run the app for my 1k drone.  Wife would divorce me no matter how good the footage was.  

K
2017-12-10
Use props
BigBird2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

Koia Koia Posted at 2017-12-10 04:57
Was looking at the two.  They are quite inexpensive used.  Just don't want to end up with half a dozen devices that don't get the job done.  Anyone using a mini 2 currently and hoes your experience?

I use the Ipad mini 2 and have had no problems  Tight fight  yes

2017-12-10
Use props
Koia Koia
lvl.2
United States

BigBird2 Posted at 2017-12-10 19:37
I use the Ipad mini 2 and have had no problems  Tight fight  yes

Great to hear.  Appreciate everyone's responses.  Like I said don't want to end up with half a dozen devices.  Almost went with a shield but only one I could find used was over 300 with recent sales around 200 so.....  But I think iOS is probably better platform from what I have seen.  I am anti apple in geenral but looking forward to a stable platform for the MP.  :-)
2017-12-10
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good luck, hopefully it all works out.
2017-12-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good luck but note that if you don’t want to end up with a dozen devices then save up and get the 7+ or that is exactly what will happen.
2017-12-11
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

I use a Mini 4, WiFi only and have had no problems and not regrets. Of course any of the plus iPhones would be good too. The only accessory you might want to consider with the Mini 4 would be an "antiglare" screen film. Granted, it will darken the screen a little, but at least you and see it when in bright sun.  
2017-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules