What settings to landing out from a Ship
1089 13 2017-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
benetau
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4734 ft
France

I just bought a Phantom 3 professional, i want to landing out my drone from the ship. What settings to apply to have a nice flight? The drone can have some magnetic interferences?
i gonna landing out from this ship.
I don't know if i change or disable the RTH. The radio on-board can block the communication of the drone and the radiocommand?
If i loose the signal, what can i do?it's this ship: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en ... 70/vessel:MAGELLAAN

2017-12-10
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Flying from a moving vessel is not for a beginner, the only reliable way to finish a flight is by hand catching, you need one person to catch and one to fly and fly well. If the ship is stationary there is less of a problem. RTH is also a little complicated, I find the best is to set the action to HOVER at last known position, and you need to regularly update the “home-point” by resetting this to the controller. Note, setting the “home-point” to controller is not dynamic you must reset it often, so as not to leave it far behind you. Consider conducting your flight primarily ahead of the ship, in a quadrant of maybe 120 degrees, this makes it easier to return. When you are finished you will have to fly the entire maneuver to get a catch, this means adequate battery capacity must be available. The stell ship should not prove a problem to manual flying, I would not want to try a compass calibration on board though.

On that type of ship, on a canal or river estuary etc. there is not a lot of leeway for maneuver, even if the Captain wants to help!
2017-12-10
Use props
benetau
lvl.2
France

Exactly, we are 4 on the ship, i hope a sailor gonna help me. I have 3 year old of skill in ATTI mode. I think the ship go forward at 16km/h, where i gonne fly, the landscape is very wide, and i landing out the drone from my  the hand's friend.
Thank for your quick answer Dockater
2017-12-10
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

Fly safe & enjoy post pics please when you do this adventure hahah
2017-12-10
Use props
benetau
lvl.2
France

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2017-12-10 04:08
Fly safe & enjoy  post pics please when you do this adventure hahah

okay, no problem
2017-12-10
Use props
benetau
lvl.2
France

i want make a video like this:
so beautifull
2017-12-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Never launch from a steel surface.
It will cause big compass problems
You will have to hand launch from well above the ship to avoid the magnetic effect of all that steel.
Flying from a moving ship is not a good idea for a new flyer.
There are many things that can go wrong and on a moving boat is not a good place to learn.
You should already have experience on dry land with everything you need to do before you try on a boat.
2017-12-10
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I hope all goes well with this flight
2017-12-10
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

As mentioned above this type of flight is a bit advanced for a beginner. Some things you need to realise when flying from a moving object.
1 the moment you release the joysticks the drone will apear to move backwards towards the rear of the ship when in fact the drone is stationary and its you thats moving not it this can be very confusing for a beginner pilot.
2 your compass may not be reliable at all because your take off point is a huge magnetic field this can cause irratic behaviour of the drone once it flies away from the ship.
3 . Wind speeds can cause a serious problem the ship may be traveling at 16 kph but the wind may be going in the opposite direction at 15 kph you now have a wind speed of 31 kph you will need to take this into acount before you decide to fly.
4. As mentioned above your rth feature will be usless to you so you will need to set it to hover.
5 if you loose signal with the drone for any reason you may as well kiss it goodbye a ship that large wont be able to maneuver fast enough to retrieve the drone before it goes for a swim.
6. Keep a very close eye on your battery level and dont let it become to low or again your drone will go for a swim.
These are just a few of the things you will need to concider before you fly from a moving ship.
2017-12-10
Use props
benetau
lvl.2
France

Labroides Posted at 2017-12-10 04:45
Never launch from a steel surface.
It will cause big compass problems
You will have to hand launch from well above the ship to avoid the magnetic effect of all that steel.

thank you for your answer!!
I think i will do the start up in the wheelhouse, and the take off from the hand outside
2017-12-10
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

benetau Posted at 2017-12-10 04:33
i want make a video like this:
so beautifull

At least you have a relatively stable platform, and can hopefully fly better, not like this.

I know this has been posted before, but its relevant.
2017-12-10
Use props
benetau
lvl.2
France

Hellsgate Posted at 2017-12-10 05:12
As mentioned above this type of flight is a bit advanced for a beginner. Some things you need to realise when flying from a moving object.
1 the moment you release the joysticks the drone will apear to move backwards towards the rear of the ship when in fact the drone is stationary and its you thats moving not it this can be very confusing for a beginner pilot.
2 your compass may not be reliable at all because your take off point is a huge magnetic field this can cause irratic behaviour of the drone once it flies away from the ship.

your answer make me thinking about my futur flight over the water
2017-12-10
Use props
benetau
lvl.2
France

Dockater Posted at 2017-12-10 05:16
At least you have a relatively stable platform, and can hopefully fly better, not like this.
https://youtu.be/UOAYTy44uIE
I know this has been posted before, but its relevant.

the ship where i will take off my drone is very stable. https://www.marinetraffic.com/en ... 70/vessel:MAGELLAAN
2017-12-10
Use props
benetau
lvl.2
France

benetau Posted at 2017-12-10 05:24
the ship where i will take off my drone is very stable. https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:109022/mmsi:226008070/vessel:MAGELLAAN

if  you look the photo of the ship, i can take off from the roof of the chambers on the bottom. And behind the wheelhouse.
2017-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules