Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Motor stops doing stop turns in sport mode
1368 21 2017-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hamtonp
lvl.1
United States

New week owner here and wanted to try out sport mode. I went to my backyard and flew it back and forth for a bit. About half the time the motor just stops and the drone just drops. The drone still has power; it's just the motor stopped spinning.

Flying the drone normally this never happens. Is it a defect or am I pushing it too hard? I was just trying to get used to flying in sport. If this is normal, I guess I should be more gentle in sport.

Video:
http://youtu.be/rvGK3ygbz8A

2017-12-10
Use props
S.J
Captain
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

We have to check the Yaw , pitch and roll values through the flight records.  Please post your flight record log over here for DJI to analyze...
Also mention the firmware versions on the SPARK , RC and APK for the mobile
2017-12-10
Use props
Lyons90
Second Officer
Flight distance : 164528 ft
Australia

Would need to see logs, but it appears that it is stopping past 90 degrees and activating the fail safe.

It has been proven a few times that hard stopping in sports mode will push it just enough to switch the motors off.
2017-12-10
Use props
Lyons90
Second Officer
Flight distance : 164528 ft
Australia

With prop guards on, that is
2017-12-10
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, sir. Please provide the following info:1.Any error message from the app?
2.Did your drone crash before? Did you have this situation when your drone in P mode?
3.Please tell me the indicator of your battery when your drone fell down. The pictures of your drone in different angle are needed.
4.Please export the black box data and the flight data for further analysis. Thanks for your cooperation.

2017-12-10
Use props
hamtonp
lvl.1
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-12-10 22:23
Hi, sir. Please provide the following info:1.Any error message from the app?
2.Did your drone crash before? Did you have this situation when your drone in P mode?
3.Please tell me the indicator of your battery when your drone fell down. The pictures of your drone in different angle are needed.

1. For this day when I was recording, there were no error messages. The first time it happened, I noticed an error message saying IMU exceeded ... I was trying recreate it but without success.
2. Drone did have small crash when I flew it first time in the house. The drone did not respond to my controls and drifted sideways until it hit the wall and fell. The drop was around 3 feet high. This problem does not occur in P mode.
3. I'm guessing battery was around 80-90% charged.

I've gathered all the files you requested on my local computer. Where do I upload the files?

The responses to my post confirms what I thought initially. I'm thinking DJI hasn't tested the tolerances with the prop guards. It may work fine without them, but using them is just enough make the drone think it has hit vertical. I don't want to test my theory w/o using the prop guards. They do absorb a lot of impact.
2017-12-11
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

hamtonp Posted at 2017-12-11 20:05
1. For this day when I was recording, there were no error messages. The first time it happened, I noticed an error message saying IMU exceeded ... I was trying recreate it but without success.
2. Drone did have small crash when I flew it first time in the house. The drone did not respond to my controls and drifted sideways until it hit the wall and fell. The drop was around 3 feet high. This problem does not occur in P mode.

Thanks for your update. Please post the pictures in the thread. You can tap "Advanced" in the upper right corner of reply interface and upload the pictures. Or you can upload to dropbox and post the link here. I would forward them to our engineers for further check.
2017-12-13
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

My guess: Sport mode and prop guards is not a good fit! Looks really like the tilt failsafe.
2017-12-13
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

hamtonp Posted at 2017-12-11 20:05

Then your initial post and title are misleading.  Yes, you managed to bang the sticks hard enough to fail safe the motors.  And you did it on purpose.  Big whoop.  No one cares.

"Flew it back and forth for a bit,..."  LOL.
2017-12-13
Use props
hamtonp
lvl.1
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-12-13 03:47
Thanks for your update. Please post the pictures in the thread. You can tap "Advanced" in the upper right corner of reply interface and upload the pictures. Or you can upload to dropbox and post the link here. I would forward them to our engineers for further check.

Thanks Elektra. Although I doubt I will use sport mode to fly aggressively again, it's good to know the drone's limitations.

Curious to know what you guys find out, I zipped the files and uploaded it to the following URL:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rad7n ... __J0vek1EoImLa?dl=0
2017-12-13
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

hamtonp Posted at 2017-12-13 18:30
Thanks Elektra. Although I doubt I will use sport mode to fly aggressively again, it's good to know the drone's limitations.

Curious to know what you guys find out, I zipped the files and uploaded it to the following URL:

You could try it without guards, once or twice?
And get yourself a racing drone, too
2017-12-13
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Thanks for you update. I would forward it to our engineers. Please wait patiently.
2017-12-14
Use props
Duncandonut
Captain
Flight distance : 2139291 ft
United Kingdom

Could it be as simple as the Spark tipping so far back/sideways it sees itself as inverting and shuts down ? I know sometimes when I hand catch the drone it does not always shut down so I turn it on its side and it instantly shuts down. Just a thought.
2017-12-14
Use props
Rickyber
Second Officer
Flight distance : 403488 ft
United States

Definitely get a fpv racing drone for that type of flying........lol When I fly mine, I rarely use sport mode unless I want to get to a place of interest quicker. Doing this I try to keep the flight path straight. Then, I usually switch to tripod mode to start recording. Also have the gimbal speed dialed way down.
2017-12-14
Use props
Arcicorsa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 235892 ft
Czechia

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-12-13 07:18
Then your initial post and title are misleading.  Yes, you managed to bang the sticks hard enough to fail safe the motors.  And you did it on purpose.  Big whoop.  No one cares.

"Flew it back and forth for a bit,..."  LOL.

Excuse me, but the quad should be designed in such a way that under no circumstances can the engines turn off in flight. It can be very dangerous. People are unpredictable and this is all the worse when talking about a quad for the general public.

Simply, if drive more aggressively, the quad can not fall..
2017-12-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Could OP be preforming CSC cutting motors although Aricosa says dji drone should not in any circumstances Cut power in the air CSC will Cut power in the air, we would be able to see this in log if we could see it.
It also tells you in your manual not to fly recklessly.
2017-12-14
Use props
Arcicorsa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 235892 ft
Czechia

Yes, CSC is a user-driven Emergency-Stop that can be used in case of emergency. But if you do not make a CSC, it should under no circumstances quad turn off the engines... Maybe only if it quad upside-down or detected motor overcurrent (control loop must be tunned so that this scenario could not occur at any stage of the flight)..
2017-12-14
Use props
wisnia.sebastia
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Hi  We have checked your flight data and could not found any data that matches your describe. Could you please tell us when did the accident happen?
2018-1-15
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

United States

I fail to understand how is this aggressive or reckless flying? I guess maximum 4ft of height and no more than 30, 40ft in distance. Spark cannot develop any serious speed during such a short course. As you see, even when it drops, there is no damage on it whatsoever. This is pretty safe training session flying. I am wandering what FW version OP is using on AC, though.
2018-1-16
Use props
heliman
First Officer
Denmark

Until DJI has fixed the firmware, be gentle when using prop guards in sport mode.
Or don’t use them.
2018-1-16
Use props
Arnor
Captain
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

Arcicorsa Posted at 2017-12-14 10:29
Yes, CSC is a user-driven Emergency-Stop that can be used in case of emergency. But if you do not make a CSC, it should under no circumstances quad turn off the engines... Maybe only if it quad upside-down or detected motor overcurrent (control loop must be tunned so that this scenario could not occur at any stage of the flight)..

I have to disagree I think the 90° safeguard is a great safety measure.

I was once flying from a boat and got into some troubles, luckily it turned his engines off as soon as the drone hit me...( entirely my fault, wanted some great shot and forgot some basic physics )

ps: CSC wasn't possible at that time.
2018-1-16
Use props
S.J
Captain
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

are you using original prop guards.
It can also bevthe battery is not placed properly during sudden jerks while braking.
2018-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules