Samsung 8 Not Compatible Phantom 3 & 4
1223 13 2017-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SkyEye21
lvl.3
United States

I wrote the following letter below to DJI below...........

j

I had been saving and purchased a phantom 3 standard.

I have been flying remote control aircraft since I was a kid, own several other drones, and have a degree in aeronautical science.

Almost every flight has a problem such as,

1) compass error GPS disconnect,
2) magnetic interference,
3) radio channel quality poor
4) sensor error restart aircraft
5) maximum flight distance reached at 25ft when never set to thar distance
6) magnetic field interference.
7) no picture available, do you wish for auto return?

this happens everywhere, the designated flying field to even at the beach.

I know it an older product but places are still selling it as new.

So i returned the phantom 3 and purchased a phantom 4 advanced and had the same volume of problems, but different kinds such as

1) erroneous inconsistent firmware notifications every other flight, even though it was updated

2) DJI App would shut off while flying (black screen), this occured a total of 9 times and caused major anxiety.

I ended up speding $500.00 for an IPAD mini 4, (NO MORE PROBLEMS SO FAR)

Just letting you guys know, so you can help other samsung 8 owners

thank you for your assistance............................

2017-12-10
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 100220 ft
Canada

My Samsung tablet A was flawless for 8 months then about 2 months ago BAM when I connect the app it just crashes and crashes and crashes.... Looks like Samsung has been placed on the sidelines, who's next??
2017-12-10
Use props
SkyEye21
lvl.3
United States

Salmonslayer Posted at 2017-12-10 22:59
My Samsung tablet A was flawless for 8 months then about 2 months ago BAM when I connect the app it just crashes and crashes and crashes.... Looks like Samsung has been placed on the sidelines, who's next??

Oh wow you too.......... i'm flying 45 mph off the ground at 6 ft and then BLACK SCREEN (App quits).  

Even Im having no more problems, using  it with an IPAD mini 4, i don't trust this drone anymore.  

I hope the manufacture read this........ instead of enjoying the drone while flying............i'm constantly thinking (If my screen goes black again) how do i bring it back, do i risk pressing (auto return home) and it not coming back, or when it comes back it crashes into a tree.

After 10 minutes i want to bring it back and land....................then i watch my other friends fly (Without A Care in the World)

thanks for your help

2017-12-11
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

It appears that current upgrades to the go app, as well as LItchi, are requiring more cpu/ram of tablets than before. I noticed it on my Tab A when Litchi started with erroneous telemetry and almost critical landed early. After contacting Litchi themslesves they said the latest version of Litchi require more ram or cpu. Not sure which. As for the Samsung phones, they have had a checkered reputation with newer versions and OS changes. Android seems more erratic than Ipads. I've been using Tab S2 with android 7.0 successfully. Knock on wood.
2017-12-12
Use props
ZviLerner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 498501 ft
United Kingdom

Is this because Apple have bought DJI and they have made their biggest competitor, Samsung, not compatible with their products? @DJI
2017-12-12
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

ZviLerner Posted at 2017-12-12 11:39
Is this because Apple have bought DJI and they have made their biggest competitor, Samsung, not compatible with their products? @DJI

Don't think Apple would buy DJI.
2017-12-12
Use props
Vendex
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16722920 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I'm flying over 1000 miles most with galaxy s7 edge and now with note 8 without issues. Well maybe a single one that S7edge reboots twice but after updates of APP no any issues.
2017-12-12
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

ZviLerner Posted at 2017-12-12 11:39

March 2016 there was a partnership between DJI and Apple for priority sales and marketing  of drones and presumably other marketing issues. 1 April 2017 DroneLife announced the take over of DJI by Apple, it also claimed that Amazon, Pizza Hut and Tesla were also interested in a takeover should Apple not do so. Please note that this was on APRIL FOOLS DAY. So this pretty much dispels the conspiracy theory, Apple do not own DJI. The p4p+ is also a bit difficult to explain when it uses an android system anyway.

Android and iOS are both well supported by DJI but both systems have to be regularly upgraded. To remain compatible others, DJI amongst them, must also upgrade and this is not an easy job.  Apple sets its standards in house and ensures compatibility across its own product range. Even then it is not always perfect first time. Android is used by a wide range of manufacturers so it is not so easy to upgrade everything. It should also be taken into account that some manufactures have to, or wish to, sell their products at a lower price than others; by necessity this leads to shortcuts being made. Quite honestly it is surprising that anything is compatible at all.
2017-12-12
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340620 ft
United States

Samsung Tab S3 and S8+ both running my P3S, P34K and P3Pro zero issues
2017-12-12
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Hey stuka75, if it's true that the Go App requires more cpu/ram now then before then why is the Go App 4 running fine on the same tablet. Also, the Litchi app runs fine on my other tablet when using my Mavic but won't run the Phantom P3S... I think it's just something in the Go App and has nothing to do with the tablets
2018-1-4
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Salmonslayer Posted at 2018-1-4 19:30
Hey stuka75, if it's true that the Go App requires more cpu/ram now then before then why is the Go App 4 running fine on the same tablet. Also, the Litchi app runs fine on my other tablet when using my Mavic but won't run the Phantom P3S... I think it's just something in the Go App and has nothing to do with the tablets

What works for some doesn't seem to for others. I sure dont have answers, only my own experiences and those of others. It does sound like the apps are specific to certain devices and operating systems as you stated.
2018-1-5
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

And it can get very expensive if we have to keep on buying new operating systems because the previous one stopped working.. If I would have known all this I would have NEVER got into Dronning especially with my Phantom P3S, at least with my mavic I can get the crystal but once again DJI has made it so its not compatible with all their drones.. ie: Phantom P3S
2018-1-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Salmonslayer Posted at 2018-1-4 19:30
Hey stuka75, if it's true that the Go App requires more cpu/ram now then before then why is the Go App 4 running fine on the same tablet. Also, the Litchi app runs fine on my other tablet when using my Mavic but won't run the Phantom P3S... I think it's just something in the Go App and has nothing to do with the tablets

I was playing with an old Tab 2, 1gb ram

1, it wouldnt even install from the store
2, sideloading it  would not install
3, sideloaded an earlier version, would install but wouldnt unzip the resources
4, had to install a slimline version of the Tab 2 firmware
5, tried latest go 4 app, still wouldnt install
6, sideloaded the very 1st Go 4 app since P4, that installed fully and opened
and connected to the P4P but the live view was very laggy

The above is pretty much how it went down but there were a few attempts installed the app dropping down in versions untill i i would get somewhere, they stop further along. Each previous version would get further along each time.

With that in mind, that tells me that its definitely the APP, it has gotten resource intensive over time, it is such a big app too, the editor needs splitting off for one, getting side tracked now, any hoo, to prove this, having to slimline the Tab 2, i.e. removing all but the essential software meant that there was nota lot running in the background thus enabling the app to use more of the resources.

I have a note 3, that runs the app flawlessly, it is however a 3gb ram phone, i have so many apps running in the background too, i can even run DU recorder at the same time with no lag, i cannot say the same for the shield when i tried DU and the DJI go 4 ap, it could have been a one off or a setting but the slow down of the tablet was unreal, need to look into that. I have now just picked up a Tab S2 9.7" (£70 ;) ) and that appears to work very well, although i have only a handful of apps installed and yet to test DJI go and DU, will report back later on that one.

So, IMHO, DJI go 4 app has gotten resource intensive over time and i believe my testing proved this
2018-1-5
Use props
Rene Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

i use a cheap huawei y5 to fly and have no problem with litchi as i only use an older go app to calibrate imu if needed :=)
2018-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules