Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Warning: Maximum flight distance reached. Adjust in MC Settings i...
11377 13 2017-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kevin36
lvl.3
Flight distance : 356476 ft
South Africa

I experienced something very unusual yesterday with my Mavic Pro. This was the first time I experienced this. Let me explain.

As Cape Town had a break in the South Easter I decided to Go Fly. I went to Blouberg Beach and flew up and down the beach, no problems whatsoever. Except for the occasional DJI GO 4 app that crashes, but that is another issue for a different discussion. The maximum distance from me that I flew was just over 300m. I flew twice and used up one and a half batteries. The sea was stunning with the breaking waves on the shore, some surfers enjoying the swells and Table Mountain in the distance. I digress. Anyhow, I packed up and took a ride on my bike to another location, Malanshoogte. I climbed up a koppie and launched my Mavic. I received some high wind velocity warnings but all was good. I then got a warning on the Controller, “Warning: Maximum flight altitude reached. Adjust in MC Settings if necessary” (or something similar). I was only at 30m. I then flew away from me and at 50m I got another warning, “Warning: Maximum flight distance reached. Adjust in MC Settings if necessary” (or something similar). As my battery was at 29% I thought maybe it was due to this so I landed and swapped out for a fresh battery. Same thing, as soon as I reach 30m altitude the red light on the MP comes on and I get this warning. Same thing flying away from me in any direction, at 50m the red light comes on with this warning.

I am not in Beginner Mode nor have any Maximum Altitude or Distance Limit Restrictions set in the DJI GO 4 App. I was in Flight Mode on my Samsung Galaxy S6 the whole day, so no updates were done in between flights. I made no changes to any settings whatsoever between flights.

Maybe I was in restricted air space?

I can add that there is was some other odd behavior I experienced so not sure if this is in any way related but I will mention it. My flights over Blouberg Beach were not video cached on my phone? I thought I had forgotten to hit record but when checking the SIM card I have all the recordings. Yet the flights over the Malanshoogte koppie (hill) were video cached? Also in DJI GO 4 under Flight Records I can see the flight paths up and down the beach yet nothing is logged for the flights over the koppie?

Most odd behavior, anyone also experienced something similar or could possibly shed some light? I haven’t tested a flight again, but if the wind calms down today I may go for a test flight.

Kevin

2017-12-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It sounds like you were logged out of your app, when your not logged in you are limited to 50m distance and 50m height, just log in and you should be ok.
2017-12-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi Kevin, I agree with Hallmark, it seems like a non-login limit, please try to log in your email account on the app again. If it doesn't work, please help to confirm if the drone had updated to the latest firmware. Because if the app is on the latest version, this message might pop up since your aircraft's firmware is a very previous version and the login info doesn't write into the main controller correctly, but it might not really restrict the drone because of that old firmware reason.
See if it helps.
2017-12-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

These are the distance restrictions if you are flying within a NFZ or if there is no connection to the app. As for app crashes - delete the app, upgrade your phone to IOS 11.2 then reinstall the app and the crashes will stop. As for the flight restrictions, ensure that the FW on the RC, AC and batteries are all up to date and the NFZ database is too. If you still get restrictions at that location after doing all of that then it is probable that you are too close to a NFZ red zone like an airport or landmark and shouldn’t be flying there.
2017-12-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And also make sure you are on the latest version of GO 4 too which you will be when you reinstall the app after the IOS upgrade.
2017-12-12
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.3
South Africa

I haven't been able to go fly again as the South Easter in Cape Town has been howling. A soon as it stops I am going to do a test flight and go through the checklist of advice I have received.
2017-12-12
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-11 05:05
It sounds like you were logged out of your app, when your not logged in you are limited to 50m distance and 50m height, just log in and you should be ok.

If you're flying in an area where you know you may not have cell or wifi service, you can start the DJI GO 4 app at a spot where you have service.  That will log you  in.  Just leave the app open until you fly.

BTW, heading to Cape Town in July and hoping to take the Mavic.  Any concerns?
2017-12-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Griffith Posted at 2017-12-12 05:44
If you're flying in an area where you know you may not have cell or wifi service, you can start the DJI GO 4 app at a spot where you have service.  That will log you  in.  Just leave the app open until you fly.

Hey Griffith, how lucky are you Cape Town in July , I’ve been twice before unfortunately no drone, would love to go back someday with a drone , but what a beautiful place complimented by its great welcoming people so much to see and do, it will be an experience of a lifetime for you at least it was for me. I’m not up to date on their rules for flying drones but I think they are fairly standard, there are a few SA’s around the forum here might be worth contacting them I’m sure they will give you the best perspective for flying drones in SA ,
I dream of getting to the top of table mountain to photograph/video this wonderful place, not to sure if they will allow this though, there are so many places to photograph from the air you will be spoilt for choice. Certainly something to look forward to.

When going first I had many warnings about security, I have to say I came up against no problems and just took the same precautions I would visiting any other place I’ve been to.
Good luck.
2017-12-12
Use props
Mari
Captain
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

You don't need to keep the app open untill you go out and fly... Just make sure you MP is switched on when you login on you app. After that you can close app an go wherever you want and fly without internet-connection or cell coverage... Afcourse you can't fly in NFZ...
2017-12-12
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
United States

Mari Posted at 2017-12-12 09:47
You don't need to keep the app open untill you go out and fly... Just make sure you MP is switched on when you login on you app. After that you can close app an go wherever you want and fly without internet-connection or cell coverage... Afcourse you can't fly in NFZ...

That's correct - the Mavic must be connected via the GO app. Login/authentication is required only once after an update.

My phone is set to auto-update the App, so I always check before I leave  - just in case.
And that's why I don't close the GO App - to avoid any update while in transit.

I suppose I should just turn off the auto-update :-)
2017-12-12
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.3
South Africa

Bring your MP with, just fly responsibly
2017-12-12
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.3
South Africa

Ok, some feedback. There was no wind at 6am this morning so I went to fly. I didn’t quite climb up the same koppie but parked on the road below it, 546m from the summit, and 4.69kms from the Morningstar Airfield.

Checklist:
1.      Reboot phone
2.      Switched phone into Airplane Mode
3.      I made sure I switched on the RC first, then the MP and then started DJI GO 4
4.      I calibrated the compass
5.      Sport Mode switch off
6.      Beginner Mode not active
7.      Am logged into DJI GO 4
8.      Video Cache Cleared
9.      I checked for updates last night, connected all 3 batteries and rechecked, no updates available

I am ready to fly. All was good, no wind at all, a beautiful morning over the farms. Checked height, I could easily exceed the 30m, in fact I reached the max altitude of 500m. I checked distance, at 3000m I turned around as I was on 47% battery. So I don’t know, either it was a freak once-off experience due to a bug or a flight restriction from the top of the koppie. I will climb it again and confirm.

I switched to Sport Mode and OMW the MP is so much more fun to fly :-o I am loving my MP.

2017-12-12
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.3
South Africa

I thought I would share some video with you guys to say thank you for the fantastic advice I have received on this forum.

2017-12-13
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
United States

Thanks for  the vid. Looking forward to my trip !!
2017-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules