Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
feature request: wind calculation
1489 15 2017-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ershz
First Officer
Flight distance : 252172 ft
Russia

Hi!
how to ask in new releases DJI GO new feature - wind calculation?
perhaps - a new procedure or menu - with instructions for the user - take off, hang for 20-30 seconds, get on the screen an approximate calculated figure.

The wind on the ground and above can vary greatly..
2017-12-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi Ershz, thank you for your suggestion, although it is not the for wind calculation, but for Mavic, a high wind speed warning will be shown in the app when the wind speed is higher than 6m/s, and when the wind speed is higher than 9m/s, the high wind warning will pop up again.
Please note that the wind speed mentioned above is not the wind speed on the ground, but the one in the air.
So if the wind warning shows up, please pay attention to the environment around and keep it safe, don't continue flying it if it is dangerous.
2017-12-12
Use props
ershz
First Officer
Russia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-12 03:31
Hi Ershz, thank you for your suggestion, although it is not the for wind calculation, but for Mavic, a high wind speed warning will be shown in the app when the wind speed is higher than 6m/s, and when the wind speed is higher than 9m/s, the high wind warning will pop up again.
Please note that the wind speed mentioned above is not the wind speed on the ground, but the one in the air.
So if the wind warning shows up, please pay attention to the environment around and keep it safe, don't continue flying it if it is dangerous.

On misc forums often discussed topic of the wind, and no return drones, if we come back in the direction opposite the wind.
High wind warning in DJI GO is good theme, but it's only 6 and 9m/s.
However, there is a wind calculator in airdata.com.
Does it make sense to do something similar to the calculator part of the official application?
2017-12-13
Use props
Locoman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

I use UAV forecast app. there are other apps that will also give wind speed at different elevations. Usually pretty accuract, since piolts need it.
2017-12-13
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

Good idea .. it would be a good improvement
2017-12-13
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

I don't believe the MP actually measures wind speed/direction, but produces a rough calculation based on the differential power to the props required to maintain a course,/speed or position in comparison to normal flying characteristic curves  (power vs speed) .  Just SWAGing,  one should be able to calculate the wind direction within say 20 degrees.  Air density also figures in to the calculations slightly but is probably ignored, although it could probably be evaluated from power consumed during hover or altitude change.   I'm  guessing that the MPs calculations are fairly gross, but good enough to be of value to a pilot aside from just warnings.
2017-12-13
Use props
G_Sig
Captain
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Griffith Posted at 2017-12-13 06:59
I don't believe the MP actually measures wind speed/direction, but produces a rough calculation based on the differential power to the props required to maintain a course,/speed or position in comparison to normal flying characteristic curves  (power vs speed) .  Just SWAGing,  one should be able to calculate the wind direction within say 20 degrees.  Air density also figures in to the calculations slightly but is probably ignored, although it could probably be evaluated from power consumed during hover or altitude change.   I'm  guessing that the MPs calculations are fairly gross, but good enough to be of value to a pilot aside from just warnings.

Manual Atti mode would work. If you fly 60m up and 150m away in headwind the let it drift with the wind you get the wind speed in few  seconds.
2017-12-13
Use props
rolling56
Captain
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Locoman Posted at 2017-12-13 04:48
I use UAV forecast app. there are other apps that will also give wind speed at different elevations. Usually pretty accuract, since piolts need it.

yup i use UAV Forecast also and paid for it since i use it a LOT. Best app out there i think plus if you buy it you can use the paid version on all OS platforms without paying more. In other words if you have android phone and iphone you can download both and sign in both will work. Also works online browser. If you like it go to the online site and purchase it there and get a discount that is not offered in the apps........note: i am not working for them or getting free stuff either.
2017-12-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great idea for future firmware or at least next gen. drones.
2017-12-13
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

G_Sig Posted at 2017-12-13 07:29
Manual Atti mode would work. If you fly 60m up and 150m away in headwind the let it drift with the wind you get the wind speed in few  seconds.

And the wind direction.  That would be a good clue for the pilot, without MP calculations, but would require sober thought :-)
2017-12-13
Use props
ershz
First Officer
Russia

Hmm...DJI Thor say, what attention message display at 6 m/s and 9m/s wind.
that means - DJI GO already calculated wind speed with various precision (may be 1-2 m/s error)
That means - it is not big changes in DJI GO algorithms, only display current values.
2017-12-14
Use props
BRAD S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 113586 ft
United States

I use the app "Windy" appropriately named.  Works great, shows wind speed and direction at different altitudes.
2017-12-14
Use props
ershz
First Officer
Russia

BRAD S Posted at 2017-12-14 14:50
I use the app "Windy" appropriately named.  Works great, shows wind speed and direction at different altitudes.

Windy - it is forecast app?
In our country there is a saying, which in the translation sounds:
there are three kinds of lies: there are lies, there is a blatant lie, and there is a weather forecast.

Forecast app may show wind direction and aprx speed. But actually speed on ground and on air, in current moment...
2017-12-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

ershz Posted at 2017-12-13 04:20
On misc forums often discussed topic of the wind, and no return drones, if we come back in the direction opposite the wind.
High wind warning in DJI GO is good theme, but it's only 6 and 9m/s.
However, there is a wind calculator in airdata.com.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will forward this advice to our engineers. Wish they will take it into consideration.
2017-12-15
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-13 07:36
yup i use UAV Forecast also and paid for it since i use it a LOT. Best app out there i think plus if you buy it you can use the paid version on all OS platforms without paying more. In other words if you have android phone and iphone you can download both and sign in both will work. Also works online browser. If you like it go to the online site and purchase it there and get a discount that is not offered in the apps........no i am not working for them or getting free stuff either.

UAV Forecast

Good to know thanks for the lead.
2017-12-15
Use props
BRAD S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 113586 ft
United States

ershz Posted at 2017-12-14 21:21
Windy - it is forecast app?
In our country there is a saying, which in the translation sounds:
there are three kinds of lies: there are lies, there is a blatant lie, and there is a weather forecast.

It  displays the current wind speed and direction at different altitudes.  It was designed by a kite surfer so the wind speed and direction would need to be in, and is, in real time.
2017-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules