DJI Goggles RE - Gonna want to hear this!
2267 19 2017-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1048652 ft
  • >>>
United States

So... Just recieved my DJI Race Edition Goggles today, WOW, they are nice! I have used a couple different goggle setups previously with other quads, but nothing compares to these. While setting them up, I stumbled across something interesting that some of you Mavic users may want to hear (and consequently complain to DJI about). The head track feature actually controls not only the vertical pan of the gimble, but also controls the horizontal pan. YES, you heard me correctly! There is a servo motor that controls the left and right pan of the gimble, a feature not accessible (correct me if I'm wrong) with just the remote control (RC).

I can't wait to hear what DJI has to say about this! Seriously DJI, you slapped a servo motor on the Mavic that 90+ percent of the mavic users cannot use (unless they purchase Goggles)? Look forward to your feedback!!!

PS - DJI Admins, while you are scratching your heads about this, can you also figure out why a DJI Race Edition Goggle icon is not showing up in my profile as a DJI product that I own?

Love ya'll and happy flying,

DocQuicksand
My SkyPixel
2017-12-11
Use props
nottuppaware
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

Yeah that was the same with the original DJI goggles. It seems that DJI doesn't allow you to control the gimbal in this way at all outside of using the goggles annoyingly. Not even in the SDK.
2017-12-11
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

nottuppaware Posted at 2017-12-11 22:02
Yeah that was the same with the original DJI goggles. It seems that DJI doesn't allow you to control the gimbal in this way at all outside of using the goggles annoyingly. Not even in the SDK.

Thought that was interesting...
2017-12-12
Use props
Range30
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11281079 ft
United States

Now I'm curious too even though I have not yet purchased the DJI Goggles RE yet. I have the old goggles and is fairly happy with it. But hesitant about buying the Goggles RE till I have read a lot of positive reviews on them.
2017-12-14
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Range30 Posted at 2017-12-14 20:05
Now I'm curious too even though I have not yet purchased the DJI Goggles RE yet. I have the old goggles and is fairly happy with it. But hesitant about buying the Goggles RE till I have read a lot of positive reviews on them.

I have nothing but positive feedback on this product (quality, functionality, etc.). The only exception is that when used with the Spark, do not expect flight data. For what ever reason, once the OTG connection from the RC to the Goggles is established, the WiFi connection from your phone to the RC is lost. Essentially that equates to ZERO flight data being recorded by the DJI Go app. I have complained to the DJI Guru's about this, hopefully they will find a fix soon.

My question to you is, why purchase DJI RE Goggles of you already own the DJI Goggles? The only benefit to the RE series is if you are planning to Occusync to a non-DJI aircraft (race quad, fixed wing, etc). Because outside of that, to the best of my knowledge, there is no difference other than color. Just curious...

Happy flying!

DocQuicksand
2017-12-15
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-12-15 22:14
I believe the goggles save the flight log & it can be recovered by connecting them to the Assistant.  When connected there is an option to upload data.

Thanks Dirty Bird, I'll give that a try...
2017-12-16
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-12-16 06:25
The Racing Edition model looks so sharp!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/w11-UTTj4TFdXFWKRXT17eoYqbUI_lmWqzEtF3CiOHj2h3IXo7xNpPxXZNWDVaCks4eMCKP83M0rJdkIUBW_eQl8RRwrpM8B2pNLcpz3GEzRrE4qMUyShppysmidX53amY44bQoy03LayAULWq9Zf5FnbIK-p-DKPqKZIxdwS5b650G_q_PsC9nOOv65frJo6cVoo4POLVcq_eqzCN8nBLRXBvJCQg1MiZ3hZWpTivPVKav8lq8AsE21AiGLU5iunPb3IfsYtYQ0dwFE9gD-gYl60BBtD16BPbZRlX8AiAQAenfQoxB7gbVkuWFzWx_KKfR9KMv_aXEit8QpSS8rapadV8QbfeQfeFh55Uo9mui-ZPRHCWHD7yDMu05C3aDe12otFJR4rPMIX3Oci3C8PwtMF1sdha8TfNLZQps-kAxGz3Q7AdMKbDw-q_ipkCAn0W4sodlMO6uXhMosk5T0AMItklcxFNpKPKe-gVuTub-xnHWJ-RmXI2p9Gr-ObtHatPXoYnDtGnQlMnhbV2gc8v_giWpWnn1EbHCVJAKVsE2uDPwrFgrDq8F21f5SOHnw-rCgXuHpYWaR9OkTK9lA8zUDLRx8mnudP2Pgvk25Vq-lkSh7wtG1uSqnS8S7EwPQoQzwSt4KU66xsWOA-rdf6DH9HBdD1RtzbYNG=w1040-h585-no[/img]

Yes they do! I have really been enjoying mine...
2017-12-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi sir, if you use the Gimbal Tracking, if you turn left and right, the gimbal will also be adjusted the Yaw (-30 to 30 degrees). The app and RC will not have this feature, which just controls the gimbal yaw without moving the drone. Please refer to the manual below. So may I know why you don't want this feature? For now, if you don't like the Yaw control of the gimbal, maybe you need to keep the head straightly.
And for your Goggles icon, is the activated email address of the Goggles the same as the email that you used to login? If yes, please kindly manage a flight with the Goggles first and sync the record to the cloud, then the icon will show. If you had done so, please kindly PM me with your DJI account and your Goggles serial number, I will help to check. Thank you. ggles RE gimbal tracking.png
2017-12-17
Use props
romeotango
lvl.3
Flight distance : 64127 ft
Singapore

Gimbal Tracking mode :

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... S3PMc0f3Zx9cZSf5lbw
2017-12-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m glad to hear someone has received their new goggles. Order over twenty days ago and goggles haven’t even shipped.
2017-12-18
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-17 23:37
Hi sir, if you use the Gimbal Tracking, if you turn left and right, the gimbal will also be adjusted the Yaw (-30 to 30 degrees). The app and RC will not have this feature, which just controls the gimbal yaw without moving the drone. Please refer to the manual below. So may I know why you don't want this feature? For now, if you don't like the Yaw control of the gimbal, maybe you need to keep the head straightly.
And for your Goggles icon, is the activated email address of the Goggles the same as the email that you used to login? If yes, please kindly manage a flight with the Goggles first and sync the record to the cloud, then the icon will show. If you had done so, please kindly PM me with your DJI account and your Goggles serial number, I will help to check. Thank you.[view_image]

Thank for the insight, still no joy with the icon. I have PM'd you with my serial number...
2017-12-18
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 2017-12-18 03:23
I’m glad to hear someone has received their new goggles. Order over twenty days ago and goggles haven’t even shipped.

I have been hearing more and more of this, I'm sure there is a high demand...
2017-12-18
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for sharing!
2017-12-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

DocQuicksand Posted at 2017-12-18 06:49
I have been hearing more and more of this, I'm sure there is a high demand...

I’m sure. I see they’re on amazon for 50 bucks more, received before Christmas.
2017-12-18
Use props
Rancher
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56824 ft
United States

May I ask a dumb question? Sorry, very new (only had a Mavic... a drone.. for like2.5 days.. heh)

The goggles, the benefit is for the camera only? It does not control the drone so much as the camera?

I am reading as much and as fast as I can.. heh.. so pardon the ignorance. They seem like they would be really cool, so long as I sat down .. laugh...

Looking at what all schtuph to buy and added goggles to the list, albeit not racing ones as I am not sure I would need those...do not know the difference, but I suspect they are better on the faster drones.

Anyway, back to reading more! Thanks!

Russ
2017-12-18
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Rancher Posted at 2017-12-18 08:11
May I ask a dumb question? Sorry, very new (only had a Mavic... a drone.. for like2.5 days.. heh)

The goggles, the benefit is for the camera only? It does not control the drone so much as the camera?

Thanks Rancher, and welcome to the quad community. The Goggles can be used for a variety of reasons. Mostly people get them to be able to fully immerse themselves in the flying experience. They essentially mimic what you see on whatever device that you use (iPhone, Samsung, etc.), only it is up close and personal - makes you feel like you are sitting on the nose of the aircraft. It is different because when you fly line of sight, you mostly spend time looking at the aircraft itself, not a screen. With Goggles, you don't really have a choice (unless you flip them up). I would recommend getting more familiar with flying your Mavic, then once comfy, get you some Goggles, sit down and enjoy the ride.

I would be remiss as a FAA part 107 guy if I didn't warn you of the following when it comes to piloting your aircraft:

1. If using Goggles, use a spotter to keep an eye on your Mavic
2. NEVER rely solely on the camera for navigation, know where it is at all time

Happy Flying!

DocQuicksand
Aero-Drone Imagery
2017-12-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

DocQuicksand Posted at 2017-12-18 06:49
Thank for the insight, still no joy with the icon. I have PM'd you with my serial number...

Yes, I got your PM and noted with thanks, but I didn't see your email account, am I missing it? Could you please PM me your email account that you activated the Goggles (it should be the same as the account that you sign in the forum)? Thank you.
2017-12-18
Use props
romeotango
lvl.3
Flight distance : 64127 ft
Singapore

My pleasure.
2017-12-19
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-18 23:13
Yes, I got your PM and noted with thanks, but I didn't see your email account, am I missing it? Could you please PM me your email account that you activated the Goggles (it should be the same as the account that you sign in the forum)? Thank you.

Oops, sorry about that. I just PM'd you again with my email address. Thanks again for your assistance!
2017-12-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

DocQuicksand Posted at 2017-12-19 10:08
Oops, sorry about that. I just PM'd you again with my email address. Thanks again for your assistance!

No problems, I accessed it via your account, and the Goggles now shows up! Congrats!
2017-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules