1500 18 2017-12-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse2a278cf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 470312 ft
South Africa

Hi,
I took my Spark for a flight today, after updating the firmware to the latest vie DJI GO4and it decided to fly away.

In short what happened was that I got a "Weak GPS signal" and at that time I pressed the go home button on the controller. I still had a video feed.

The SPARK raised to the set RTH height and flew away. Then after a short time, there were more messages on the screen followed by the sound from the controller saying ATTI mode. After this Sparky set off at a quite high speed in another direction I managed to fly it on the video feed home.

Can anyone assist on what I should do, I am too afraid to fly it again after this.
I have seen in the threads that you can upload log files for the flights. Can anyone guide me how to do that on an iPhone?

Rgs
Scalci
2017-12-12
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

First of all congratulations that you have managed to fly back your Spark in ATTI mode through visual flight, great job! Luckily your video feed was still working because from your description above I conclude your Spark got out of VLOS for some time. How you report the incident suggests that shortly after you initiated RTH with weak GPS link your Spark switched into ATTI mode. From that moment RTH could not work any more and the Spark was carried away by the wind. You did not panic however and managed to regain manual control to fly the Spark back. Well done!
If you wish you may upload your flightrecord to this site and share the link with us: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
This will help to give you more details on what has happened when. In any case you do not need to be afraid to fly your Spark again. Such things can happen and you have handled the situation perfectly.
2017-12-12
Use props
Scalci
lvl.2
South Africa

Wachtberger, thank you, I was rattled .

I will try to upload the flight log.
2017-12-12
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

I am wondering, why some pilots always using RTH button to return their drones back?

The best part to get skills is to return your drone manually. Yet, you prevent any suddenness related to gps errors or atti mode etc.

If you have to use the RTH button you must first check the GPS mode if good then press RTH and be carefull all the way back home, once you see the postioning mode changed to ATTi mode immediately press the pause button in the controller and return the drone manually.
2017-12-12
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

Also try to use the map only some times during the flight to get the skills that helps you to return your drone back when there is black screen because of some errors or weak transmission.

So you will know how the drone heading direction can be controlled to the home point.
2017-12-12
Use props
Scalci
lvl.2
South Africa

I hope I did this right

Here is my log: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/AGW4694Q5RPU5ZOGQOC8/
2017-12-12
Use props
Malakai_UK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Were you using OTG?
2017-12-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Scalci Posted at 2017-12-12 11:02
I hope I did this right

I would say just looking at your log you picked up interference from where you launched, I presume it was front of your house was there concrete near launch or metal ie cars,

Compass can be affected by taking off close to metal objects and being launched from or close to rebar concrete.
When you get bad compass gps is dropped and Aircraft goes into Atti mode which happened here, in Atti mode you handled aircraft well good job, and compass corrected and gps returned and you landed safely.
Can you give us anymore information of you launch area.
2017-12-12
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

Scalci Posted at 2017-12-12 11:02
I hope I did this right

Wow, this is by far the heaviest flightrecord I have ever seen! In probably all others with only a fraction of error messages the Spark was lost. There must have been heavy interference of some kind. This underlines again the good job you have done in bringing it back under these circumstances. As for further analysis I am myself still too unexperienced, but you can fully trust hallmark007 who is a great expert here.
2017-12-12
Use props
tvon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43373 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-12 11:51
I would say just looking at your log you picked up interference from where you launched, I presume it was front of your house was there concrete near launch or metal ie cars,

Compass can be affected by taking off close to metal objects and being launched from or close to rebar concrete.

Did you check the compass settings before take off? I always make sure my status is in the green before attempting take off.  Could be your enviroment as Hallmark mentioned
2017-12-12
Use props
Lyons90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164528 ft
Australia

When you took off, was it from a balcony of that hotel or from the front lawn?
2017-12-12
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, sir. Feel sorry about your accident and I would recommend you export the flight data and upload to dropbox. Please post the link here so we can help you locate your problem.
2017-12-12
Use props
Scalci
lvl.2
South Africa

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for the delay response.

When I powered up, I got GPS signal, and the homepoint was updated.

Yes I took of from a balcony, because I got the GPS fix. Well this is hiw one learn, I will not do it again.

As one can see in the log, I flew a few bay passes, then it took off .

Thank you for everyone’s input and support.

I am busy doing the latest firmware update as well.

Rgs
2017-12-14
Use props
choban
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30784 ft
Germany

Good job on returning it back safely!! Your video feed was working after you received all of these error messages? In my case video feed was down as soon as the error messages started appearing. It was coming back for fractions of a second and then it was gone completely.
2017-12-14
Use props
djiuser_pVzOCZc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 120361 ft
Australia

Did you calibrate the IMU and Compass after the firmware update?  Both the compass and IMU appear to have been in strange state from almost the start of your flight.

1m 39s   RTH is pressed  405.5 ft from home point  13.9 mph

1m 42s        It take off like rocket and hits 51.9 mph!

2m 0.6s    your 1,463.0 ft out.

2m 39.3s - RTH is pressed  again? - 1,578.7ft from the home point.  -- 20.0ft off the water.

================

It looks to me like you IMU and Compass you were bad state from get-go  You might have spark speed record..
2017-12-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_pVzOCZc Posted at 2017-12-14 04:58
Did you calibrate the IMU and Compass after the firmware update?  Both the compass and IMU appear to have been in strange state from almost the start of your flight.

1m 39s   RTH is pressed  405.5 ft from home point  13.9 mph

Imu heading exception is caused by compass problems, it doesn’t mean you are having a problem with IMU.
2017-12-14
Use props
djiuser_pVzOCZc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 120361 ft
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-14 05:14
Imu heading exception is caused by compass problems, it doesn’t mean you are having a problem with IMU.

I was thinking about how it could hit over 50 mph - not being able to maintain pitch could send it off like a rocket.
2017-12-14
Use props
Scalci
lvl.2
South Africa

Hi Everyone,

So ai did few flights since my last post.

I re-calibrated the IMU and compass.

I flew from a field with no interference from what I could see, and all the flights were successful.

once again, thank you for everyone input...

My SPARK is flying like I thought it should.

Rgs
2017-12-16
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

Scalci Posted at 2017-12-16 07:38
Hi Everyone,

So ai did few flights since my last post.

Great news, I wish you always happy landings!
2017-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules