1281 10 2017-12-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Woolnut
lvl.2
Flight distance : 433839 ft
United States

Hi All,

So I have only just got my Mavic Pro Platinum, I haven't given it a proper flight outside yet as there is still snow on the ground but I have had a very short test flight inside... I have a question about ATTI mode; does this turn off stabilisation? Indoors I was unable to get GPS signal and also had pretty strong magnetic interference and when I took off it would then start to drift a little to one side, there was almost no air movement so I was surprised to see this, especially as I would have thought it would still have at least basic stabilisation without compass and GPS.

I assume it is something to do with compass calibration and lack of GPS but I would like to ask the more experienced here who know what to expect. The instruction manual isn’t so clear..!

I intend to give it a proper flight soon outside, obviously making sure that the compass calibration is set and GPS is locked, I am just worried that if this sort of behaviour isn’t normal!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2017-12-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ATTI mode is auto selected on the Mavic when there are not enough satellites to gain a GPS connection and the vision positioning system is also disengaged (usually due to poor lighting). Strong magnetic interference can also have an impact on the IMU and cause further stability issues. In fact, when in ATTI mode the only part of the drone that is used for positioning is the barometer so the drone will drift. Ensure adequate lighting for at least the vision system to work when indoors. I’d also suggest using Tripod mode to slow down the stick movements and use prop guards when indoors too for added safety.
2017-12-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Don’t worry by the way - everything you described is perfectly normal which is why flying indoors is advisable when learning to fly. You should experience a totally normal drone when you take it outside. Come back on here if you don’t.
2017-12-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry - *not advisable!
2017-12-12
Use props
Woolnut
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the response, i am glad to hear that! Hopefully i will be able to have a fly tonight, but i think it may still be too cold...
2017-12-12
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

- but I have had a very short test flight inside... I have a question about ATTI mode; does this turn off stabilisation? Once in atti-mode, it's not going to be stable in the air and will need the use of controls on the RC to keep it steady.

- Indoors I was unable to get GPS signal
While indoors, chances are you won't receive a GPS signal unless you take the Mavic outdoors.

- and when I took off it would then start to drift a little to one side
Happens once the atti-mode kicks in so this is normal.

- I was surprised to see this, especially as I would have thought it would still have at least basic stabilisation without compass and GPS.
Perfectly normal with these copters as they're design to work best with GPS signal.

- I assume it is something to do with compass calibration and lack of GPS but I would like to ask the more experienced here who know what to expect.
If there were issues with CC, you've gotten an alert to perform the CC. No GPS would've ignited atti-mode.

- The instruction manual isn’t so clear..!
A lot to absorb but im my opinion that manual has some good info. For some reading it a couple of times helps, it did for me.

- I intend to give it a proper flight soon outside, obviously making sure that the compass calibration is set and GPS is locked, I am just worried that if this sort of behaviour isn’t normal!
As I'd mentioned, normal. Have fun flying the Mavic outside where it belongs. Do not recommend flying indoors.
2017-12-12
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

... and also check and calibrate the IMUs (same sub-menu item as the compass calibration). I found it helped after the delivery journey from China - who knows what those DHL guys have done with your package in transit...!
2017-12-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi Wool, usually, we will suggest the customers flying in an open, wide place. But without GPS, when Downward Vision System is working and the condition is suitable, the drone can also hover in position. You can refer to the manual below. For your case, you can try to calibrate the IMU, and make sure the environment is qualified for the Vision system to work.
But notice that if the drone is in ATTI mode and Downward System not working, the drone can not hover. So please be aware of the control and keep the flying safely. mavic downward vision system.png mavic downward system 2.png
2017-12-12
Use props
Woolnut
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks for the info @thor, the Mavic was able to hover but it would move to the left side slightly requiring small movements back to the right to keep it in the original position. Thinking about it, this is probably normal as there were also desks fairly close by and the remote kept alerting me to obstacles!
2017-12-13
Use props
Woolnut
lvl.2
United States

Hey guys, so last night i got an error message on the Mavic about an Ultrasonic Module Error... I haven't flown outside yet but when i do i will report back to see if this still occurs. I noticed it appeared when i went from simulator mode to flying the real thing.

I rebooted the Mavic and the issue did not appear... So i am hoping this is just some strange glitch!
2017-12-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That’s just a glitch - the sim will pop up these glitches - people get motor current errors in the sim when the motors are not even running... ignore it unless it pops up in real flight.
2017-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules