16305 8 2017-12-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
geohei
lvl.3
Flight distance : 663061 ft
Luxembourg

Hi.

I have some questions regarding Video Cache of my P4P.
I use it with an iPad Pro.
All equipment latest firmware!

I have the "Cache During Video Shooting" feature enabled.
I understand that the video footage is locally stored on the iPad Pro while it is recorded by the drone (right?).
But how can I access this cached video on my iPad Pro?

Besides that ... I have "Record Audio with Video Cache" enabled.
Does this mean that the iPad Pro microphone is used to record the spoken audio during the video cache recording?

Thanks,

2017-12-12
Use props
TheMann58
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geohei,

Yes - if you turn on "Cache During Video Shooting" the low-resolution (720P) live video that is being transmitted from the P4P to your RC and displayed on your iPad Pro live view screen is recorded and stored locally on your iPad Pro.

You access this cached video using the DJI GO 4 app. From the main screen of the DJI GO 4 app, tap on the Editor icon on the bottom of the screen. This will bring up a screen with "Album" and "Create" at the top of the screen and you start in "Create" mode, by default.  Here you will find automatically created compilations of your most recent video shoots (if you had Cache During Video Shooting" turned on.  These are actually pretty entertaining cut compilations of cut scenes with music automatically applied to your recent videos.  You can further edit these or discard them as you wish.

To access the raw cached video files, tap on "Album" at the top of the Editor screen.  This will then present you with an index of all the cached video files on your tablet device sorted by date. These files are the same time length as the files stored on the micro SD card in the P4P camera, they are just lower resolution.

Yes - if you turn "Record Audio with Video Cache" on the mic in your iPad Pro will be live from the moment you tap on the red video record button on the DJI GO 4 app live view screen.  This is an excellent way of narrating your flight while it is in progress and you might  as well talk continuously (and intelligently) while you are flying to provide running commentary on what you are doing, where you are, any problems you are experiencing with wind, transmission quality, etc.  When I first started using this feature I recorded a lot of videos where I was just randomly whistling while flying - horrible to listen to later and embarassing. Get in the habit of intelligently and entertainingly narrating your flights. Just remember that any temporary glitches in transmission quality will also be recorded in the cached video.  Cached video is not nearly as high quality as the 1080P or 4K high-bit-rate video being recorded to the P4P micro SD card, but it can be pretty good if you are using 5.8 GHz AUTO mode with no channel interference.  The live audio is ONLY recorded to the cached video on your iPad and NOT to the high-res video on the aircraft micro SD card.

Note: if at any point you lose HD video connection or RC signal connection between the RC and the P4P, the cached video will stop recording.  I have also found, unfortunately, that even a brief loss in RC signal connection can SOMETIMES but not always cause the high-res video being recorded to the micro SD card to ALSO stop recording along with the cached video.  This is a bug in my opinion and it does not always happen.  If you use the cached video feature, get in the habit of frequently checking the red record button symbol on the live camera screen of the DJI GO 4 app while you are flying to ensure you are still recording to the micro SD card.

Enjoy!
2017-12-12
Use props
geohei
lvl.3
Luxembourg

Wow wow wow ... what an explanation !!!
Also lots of related useful side information.
All understood.
Thanks a lot.

Last question. I selected 16GB as cache size.
How can I see how much size I ate up so far.

Thanks (again).
2017-12-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

geohei Posted at 2017-12-13 07:57
Wow wow wow ... what an explanation !!!
Also lots of related useful side information.
All understood.

Hey there, I'm afraid that the cache size that has been used is not available to check from APP directly. You can check the storage in video cached file. I'd suggest to enable the Clear Cache Automatically or Clear Video Cache manually.  
2017-12-14
Use props
geohei
lvl.3
Luxembourg

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-14 01:09
Hey there, I'm afraid that the cache size that has been used is not available to check from APP directly. You can check the storage in video cached file. I'd suggest to enable the Clear Cache Automatically or Clear Video Cache manually.

Thanks for the confirmation.
So the total stored cache size can't be seen inside the DJI App, Understood.

In this case, the only way to see it is:
Settings > General > iPad Storage ... and selecting DJI GO 4
2017-12-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

geohei Posted at 2017-12-14 21:26
Thanks for the confirmation.
So the total stored cache size can't be seen inside the DJI App, Understood.

You are right. Feel free to contact us if you have more questions. Happy flying!
2017-12-15
Use props
hdlou94
lvl.4
Flight distance : 753163 ft
United States

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-12-12 21:50
Geohei,

Yes - if you turn on "Cache During Video Shooting" the low-resolution (720P) live video that is being transmitted from the P4P to your RC and displayed on your iPad Pro live view screen is recorded and stored locally on your iPad Pro.

Thank you, this is great because I also had issues with this ..
2017-12-15
Use props
mithat.coskun.hotmail
lvl.1
Turkey

navigation
2019-2-3
Use props
Емануил Стоманов
New

Costa Rica

Hi all I recently lost my drone and I am trying to retrieve the cached videos and pictures with the best quality posible. How do I download them?
2021-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules