Would any of you still buy a new Phantom 3 Pro?
1881 35 2017-12-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just researching all my options, and would like to hear varying opinions on the topic of purchasing a new P3P versus newer Phantom series birds.  Keep in mind, this doesn't relate to budget, and I'm mostly a hobby fellow.
2017-12-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The Phantom 3 Pro of mine, has been a champ for me.

I don't know if it was my Karma, or just darn good luck, but having a completely trouble free drone, had been a blessing.

It truly is a marvelous machine, with plenty of great possibilities.

Yes, I would certainly buy another P3P. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2017-12-12
Use props
PeteHB
lvl.4

France

I did quite recently. It's an excellent machine for its price with a few limitations that could only realistically be bettered for much more money.
2017-12-12
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

P3P rocks.  The distance guys say it is the king of long distance.  I know a guy who flew his 19.4 miles out.  

http://x.flytrex.com/challenges/freestyle-distance/phantom-all/
2017-12-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-12-12 14:17
P3P rocks.  The distance guys say it is the king of long distance.  I knew a guy who flew his 19.4 miles out.  

http://x.flytrex.com/challenges/freestyle-distance/phantom-all/

Those long flights are pretty cool.

I would love to fly like that, far out man... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-12-12
Use props
Al S. Alice's H
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50259 ft
United States

Just bought one in October.  Factory refurbished that was brand new. It's been perfect in every way. Rock solid in a 20 mph. wind with husts to near 40 mph.
They don't seem to have the issues that some are having with the latest models either.
2017-12-12
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Mind was great.  Flew it for a year and never had a problem with it.  Got some new machines and it was just sitting around so I sold it off to a friend who loves it as much as I did.  (shouldn't have bought that phantom 4
2017-12-12
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Great to fly and a good solid performer.  Suspect it is also a more forgiving machine to fly.
2017-12-12
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

It's a diamond in the rough, no question.  I'm tempted to get a second one now before they're gone just so I have it as a back up in case mine crashes hard some day.  
2017-12-12
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for all the responses.   So far, I'm leaning in the P3P's direction.  I've flown my friend's several times in the past, and it was the quad that gave me that first wow factor.  I'm a bit nostalgic for it.  I was cross shopping it with P4A and the P4P.  I am also concerned with the possibility of a looming P5.
2017-12-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-12-12 17:04
Thanks for all the responses.   So far, I'm leaning in the P3P's direction.  I've flown my friend's several times in the past, and it was the quad that gave me that first wow factor.  I'm a bit nostalgic for it.  I was cross shopping it with P4A and the P4P.  I am also concerned with the possibility of a looming P5.

The P3 pro and Adv were very good for their time but that time was almost 3 years ago.
They may be better than any offerings from other makers but the P4 pro is significantly better again, both in performance and photographic ability.
2017-12-12
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

While I agree, nostalgia is what is eating at me on this bird.  I liken it to cars.  While I love the MX5 ND, it's the NA that speaks to me.  I'm only asking how others feel as well.
2017-12-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-12-12 17:31
While I agree, nostalgia is what is eating at me on this bird.  I liken it to cars.  While I love the MX5 ND, it's the NA that speaks to me.  I'm only asking how others feel as well.

If you buy one, make sure you love it... ;-)

That will happen automatically, if it's trouble free.

RedHotPoker
2017-12-12
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-12-12 17:31
While I agree, nostalgia is what is eating at me on this bird.  I liken it to cars.  While I love the MX5 ND, it's the NA that speaks to me.  I'm only asking how others feel as well.

Nostalgia is a seductive mistress.  I still have my P2V and have no plans on getting rid of it.
2017-12-12
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

It's just a matter of expectations. As a carrier P3P performs wonderfully, hands down. Mine is serving me flawlessly for over 2 years, having only shell replaced recently due to typical cracks below motor mounts. As for flying camera ... While excellent to average YouTuber,  professionals may hold enthusiasm due to several limitations. Although P4 will deliver much better, truly UHD image, P3 is still alive and kicking.
2017-12-12
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Arab Emirates

Simple answer : Yes.

Why ? Given the price drop and its a very capable machine with excellent video / photo resolution .... I don't think any other unit compares .....

I did look at P4 .... flew a Mavic .... flew Adv ... had a Standard ..... ended up with P3P .....

Nigel
2017-12-12
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

yes i would buy another p3p.it might be slower,not as good video as others.but one thing is for sure,its better than a lot of others that sit due to being broken by simple firmware updates. ha ha.
2017-12-13
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

... SPOT ON
2017-12-13
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

My P3P has a fair number of flight hours under the belt and still going strong. As an aircraft it is quite impressive. The camera may not be technically as good as the newer models, but you know, getting good images is much more on the pilot & photographer's side.
Have fun & good flying!
2017-12-13
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Count me as a yes too. Excellent machine, and great value for money.
2017-12-13
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sure I would if the price was right then passing down to my brother who's had some interest in flying.
2017-12-13
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

i would agree with yes. i started with a P3 Standard and loved it got a nice case and 6 total batteries, spare props, charger hub. then got the P3 Pro cause everything from the P3S is the same so it saved time and money in the long run by sharing accessories. if i had gone P4 all new would need to be purchased
2017-12-13
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-12-12 23:00
Simple answer : Yes.

Why ? Given the price drop and its a very capable machine with excellent video / photo resolution .... I don't think any other unit compares .....

I have a P3A and love it.  If i were to get another, i was thinking of the Mavic ($800 at COSCO!).  Why did you find the P3P superior to the Mavic?  
2017-12-14
Use props
Siambuddhas Gro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

If new set price drop to USD449 I will consider ..
2017-12-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The P3P was my first proper drone and I loved it. The tech has advanced for sure but I wouldn’t dismiss that drone as still more than capable nearly 3 years after its first release in early 2015. Never had a single issue with it.
2017-12-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Arab Emirates

bob37 Posted at 2017-12-14 07:47
I have a P3A and love it.  If i were to get another, i was thinking of the Mavic ($800 at COSCO!).  Why did you find the P3P superior to the Mavic?

I found the Mavic to be skittish in the wind and I don't like the way it sits on the ground ...

The P3 was far more stable in wind ... being larger and heavier. I could not justify such price for the Mavic ... my opinion.

The Mavics in our Club - the two guys both say they would have bought P3P or P4 instead if they had choice again.

Nigel
2017-12-15
Use props
PeteHB
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I have just been offered a basic phantom 4 and don't know whether to sell my 3 pro and buy it. Difficult decision.
2017-12-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

PeteHB Posted at 2017-12-15 09:16
I have just been offered a basic phantom 4 and don't know whether to sell my 3 pro and buy it. Difficult decision.

It's not that difficult.
Look at what you may gain (very little) and what it would cost.
The P4 has the same performance except for slightly longer flight time.
It uses different batteries from the P3 so you may need to buy more.
It has the same camera.
It has obstacle avoidance sensors but they really are of only limited value in most flying.
It has a slightly different shape.

Add what you could gain and see if that's value for you.
2017-12-15
Use props
garstar57
lvl.1

United States

Mine worked great tell they told me to update it. Now doesn't work at all.
2017-12-15
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
France

Well for me it would depend on the price. I still love and use my p3p. I paid a high price but if it’s low now being a discontinued model I’d consider buying it again if I needed to.
2017-12-16
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

What does everyone think a fair price for a new P3P would be?
2017-12-16
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

The supply of new and refurbished P3Ps is dropping fast.  I think a fair price is whatever low price you can find because the prices bottomed out in Sept and are now going up.
2017-12-17
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-12-16 18:50
What does everyone think a fair price for a new P3P would be?

recently amazon had new p3p's for 799usd.
2017-12-17
Use props
djiuser_yfc5OBP
New

Netherlands

I might, but that will depend on multiple factors.
2017-12-17
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Well...  after thinking about P3P, P4A, and P4P, ended up buying Obsidian. Arrives on Wed.  
2017-12-17
Use props
fans55ae5496
Second Officer

United States

Dirty Bird,

Your video titled "Follow the leader" is a perfect example of why DJI has to burden us with geo-fencing, FW updates etc. And why law enforcement is going to eventually take away our ability to fly cameras.

Flying over all those innocent people on the streets, the cars, the buildings etc was beyond foolish.

What if you had a battery failure, or some other HW or SW problem causing the craft to fall out of the sky.

Very, very poor judgement on your part.

Your actions affect us all. Please do not fly so recklessly, nor put the video up for all to see.
2017-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules