Finding out why Spark crashed into the water flying under a bridge
1053 6 2017-12-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_tGYKEfH
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80522 ft
United States

I was tring to fly my spark under this small little bridge (see picture below). Was travelling really slowly in tripod mode. The Spark went into ATTI mode under the bridge, and after a while I lost connection with the Spark on my RC. Luckily I managed to retrieve the drone in the water, but i'm trying to figure out what exactly went wrong so I can prevent future occurences. Is it not recommended to fly under a bridge? Loss of GPS? Compass error due to metal structure?

Small bridge

Small bridge

Any advice here is appreciated. My flight log is here:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/2BL4Z4TQXNEUXUDHJJ28/

2017-12-12
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

' Is it not recommended to fly under a bridge? Loss of GPS? Compass error due to metal structure?'

Mostly all of the above.
I assume, in slow tripod mode, it lost GPS and had compass error, switched to atti and .....
2017-12-12
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, sir. I am sorry to hear that your drone dropped into the water. I would recommend you contact our support and start a case first: http://www.dji.com/support. Please forward the flight record to our support to find out the reason. I would recommend you upload the data to dropbox. Thanks for your support.
2017-12-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You answered your own question, when you fly under something you lose connection with gps, also bridges are usually made from concrete rebar or metal structures so hence compass problem.

I hope you have Care refresh , but you just need to put this down to experience.
2017-12-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Loss of connection in short - always maintain a clear line between the RC and AC - the bridge became an obstruction - signal lost, RTH activated and crashes into the bridge as it ascends.
2017-12-13
Use props
djiuser_tGYKEfH
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80522 ft
United States

Thanks, seems like we cannot be too ambitious with out flights! Thankfully I do have Care Refresh and the replacement is on the way back!

Do we often face compass error when flying near metal objects such as bridges?
2017-12-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_tGYKEfH Posted at 2017-12-13 09:38
Thanks, seems like we cannot be too ambitious with out flights! Thankfully I do have Care Refresh and the replacement is on the way back!

Do we often face compass error when flying near metal objects such as bridges?

Metal is a serious problem with compass there is plenty in bridges also rebar concrete, keep clear.

Great you had dji Care this is exactly what it’s for hopefully you get replacement soon. Good luck.
2017-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules