Warning message in simulator - same as in-flight?
1648 21 2017-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
krihamm
lvl.2
Sweden

Hello,

Two days ago I picked up my brand new Mavic Pro Platinum. I have not been able to fly it yet since there are restrictions where I live. Instead I tried the simulator for the first time today.

Right after lift-off in the simulator, a warning message saying "Warning: Motor current error. Check your propellers and fly with care" appeared. After searching various forums, this appears to be a common problem with the new MPP. Some users have reported their drones falling from the sky after this message appeared.

Of course this got me worried. My question is: how is the simulator connected to the "real" drone? If a warning message appears during a simulation, is it possible that it is due to an error in the real drone?

On saturday I will go out of town to try my MPP for the first time, so I will find out then. But still, anyone know about this? The firmware is the latest version and I have calibrated the gimbal, compass and IMU.

Thanks!
2017-12-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have the platinum and this has popped up twice upon take off in one of my 8 flights so far. It's usually due to applying too much throttle or pitch to the motors for the battery to handle - typically, as in my case, this occurred when initially taking off using 100% throttle in very low temperatures (-2c). It hasn't popped up since. Just don't be too aggressive on the control sticks early in the flight when the battery and motors are cold and you should be fine. Note that it is a warning (like the 'high wind velocity' warning) and not a malfunction which is why the pop up is in yellow and says 'FLY with caution' rather than to land. That said, if you ignore the warning this could lead to voltage drops and the drone crashing so gentle on the sticks if it pops up.
It is strange how this appears in your sim though - thats a new one!
2017-12-13
Use props
krihamm
lvl.2
Sweden

Thanks for your reply!

I tried being very gentle with the throttle in the simulator, but the warning message still appeared.

Hopefully this is not related to any issues with the drone itself. Will find out on saturday.

/krihamm
2017-12-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

krihamm Posted at 2017-12-14 01:24
Thanks for your reply!

I tried being very gentle with the throttle in the simulator, but the warning message still appeared.

May be refreshing the firmware on both the AC and RC via Assistant 2 and reinstalling the GO 4 app might help before flying too. No harm in doing that.  
2017-12-14
Use props
krihamm
lvl.2
Sweden

A CW Posted at 2017-12-14 01:46
May be refreshing the firmware on both the AC and RC via Assistant 2 and reinstalling the GO 4 app might help before flying too. No harm in doing that.

I will do that. Will post how my first flight goes.

Fingers crossed there will be no problems. It took me 2 months to get my MPP, and they already sold out, so would probably take some time to get a replacement.

/krihamm
2017-12-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

krihamm Posted at 2017-12-14 01:54
I will do that. Will post how my first flight goes.

Fingers crossed there will be no problems. It took me 2 months to get my MPP, and they already sold out, so would probably take some time to get a replacement.

I'm sure it will be fine. Take small steps to start with, don't be too hard on the sticks in the first few minutes of flight and enjoy! Let me know how you get on.
2017-12-14
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2017-12-13 12:23
I have the platinum and this has popped up twice upon take off in one of my 8 flights so far. It's usually due to applying too much throttle or pitch to the motors for the battery to handle - typically, as in my case, this occurred when initially taking off using 100% throttle in very low temperatures (-2c). It hasn't popped up since. Just don't be too aggressive on the control sticks early in the flight when the battery and motors are cold and you should be fine. Note that it is a warning (like the 'high wind velocity' warning) and not a malfunction which is why the pop up is in yellow and says 'FLY with caution' rather than to land. That said, if you ignore the warning this could lead to voltage drops and the drone crashing so gentle on the sticks if it pops up.
It is strange how this appears in your sim though - thats a new one!

A CW: I like your explanation for the error message - you're asking the Mavic battery for more power than it can supply.  Sometimes the error messages get lost in translation or are not clear as to their underlying cause.  It would be nice if the DJI engineers would supply the underlying triggers for error flags.
Interesting that the simulator would produce the error.  Must be a REALLY GOOD model to simulate more than just flight characteristics.

2017-12-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The sim is connected directly to the AC which is why the drone needs to be turned on to use the sim. For the motor current error warning to pop up in the sim when the motors on the drone are not even in physical use is an odd one! It could be a fault in the software or even the new ESC’s triggering it - perhaps someone from DJI can explain on here with regards to the sim.
2017-12-14
Use props
krihamm
lvl.2
Sweden

I just got back from my first flight. The drone performed excellent even though -7 C outside. No warning messages, and videos looked great on the computer.

Very happy!

/krihamm
2017-12-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There you go! I did two flights yesterday in 20MPH+ winds at zero degrees c and also not a single warning message. Keep an eye on it in future flights but glad all worked out well.
2017-12-16
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

You'll be just fine; glad all checked out with your first flight...just enjoy and have fun !!!
2017-12-16
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

krihamm Posted at 2017-12-16 05:18
I just got back from my first flight. The drone performed excellent even though -7 C outside. No warning messages, and videos looked great on the computer.

Very happy!

Hi Krihamm, glad to hear that you are enjoying this drone. As for the warning message you've got during a simulation, could you please export the flight data via DJI Assistant 2, then upload them to the Dropbox or Google Drive? I'd like to download the data and forward them to the engineers for analysis. You can refer to the steps below to export the data.
1. Download the DJI Assistant 2 software from the Mavic webpage on dji.com and install it.
2. Power on the aircraft and connect the aircraft to the PC. Click on the Mavic icon.
3. Click “Data Upload”, select all of the flight controller data, then click “Save To Local”.
2017-12-21
Use props
krihamm
lvl.2
Sweden

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-12-21 22:20
Hi Krihamm, glad to hear that you are enjoying this drone. As for the warning message you've got during a simulation, could you please export the flight data via DJI Assistant 2, then upload them to the Dropbox or Google Drive? I'd like to download the data and forward them to the engineers for analysis. You can refer to the steps below to export the data.
1. Download the DJI Assistant 2 software from the Mavic webpage on dji.com and install it.
2. Power on the aircraft and connect the aircraft to the PC. Click on the Mavic icon.

Hi Diana,

I will do this when I get home, no problem!

/krihamm
2017-12-22
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

krihamm Posted at 2017-12-22 01:23
Hi Diana,

I will do this when I get home, no problem!

Thank you, waiting for the data.
2017-12-24
Use props
RolandW
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-12-24 02:48
Thank you, waiting for the data.

I unboxed my new Platinum yesterday. This morning I fired it up to try the simulator, and I got the error you describe right away. It does it every time I take off and begin to climb. Once I clear the warning it works fine until the next takeoff. I have not run the motors yet, and probably won't get to for a while as the weather has just turned cold and wet (after months of dry, beautiful flying weather, of course).
2017-12-24
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

RolandW Posted at 2017-12-24 05:02
I unboxed my new Platinum yesterday. This morning I fired it up to try the simulator, and I got the error you describe right away. It does it every time I take off and begin to climb. Once I clear the warning it works fine until the next takeoff. I have not run the motors yet, and probably won't get to for a while as the weather has just turned cold and wet (after months of dry, beautiful flying weather, of course).

Hi Roland, could you please provide me a screenshot of the error message? I would also recommend you refer to the steps I provided in the post 12# to export the data for analysis, thank you in advance.
2017-12-24
Use props
krihamm
lvl.2
Sweden

Hi Diana,

Sorry I haven't provided the flight data yet. Christmas is stressful. You will have it shortly.

/krihamm
2017-12-25
Use props
RolandW
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-12-24 18:22
Hi Roland, could you please provide me a screenshot of the error message? I would also recommend you refer to the steps I provided in the post 12# to export the data for analysis, thank you in advance.

Diana, thank you for the reply. Sorry for my slow response. I updated firmware with each battery and actually flew the Mavic last week, and did not get any warnings about the motors. Unfortunately, the video had horrible "jello," so this one is going back to Amazon.
2018-1-9
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

RolandW Posted at 2018-1-9 03:53
Diana, thank you for the reply. Sorry for my slow response. I updated firmware with each battery and actually flew the Mavic last week, and did not get any warnings about the motors. Unfortunately, the video had horrible "jello," so this one is going back to Amazon.

Alright, have you already sent it back? Actually, for the 'jello' issue, you can refer to the steps below to troubleshoot it.
1. Check whether the gimbal clamp has been removed.
2. Check whether the video was recorded at a place where winds were strong. The jello effect may occur in the video shot in a place where winds are strong.
3. Check whether the propellers are damaged.
4. Calibrate the IMU and gimbal.
Anyway, hope it can be sorted out soon.

2018-1-9
Use props
RolandW
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-1-9 18:31
Alright, have you already sent it back? Actually, for the 'jello' issue, you can refer to the steps below to troubleshoot it.
1. Check whether the gimbal clamp has been removed.
2. Check whether the video was recorded at a place where winds were strong. The jello effect may occur in the video shot in a place where winds are strong.

Yes, of course, I researched it and checked all those things. The replacement is arriving tomorrow. Thank you.
2018-1-10
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

RolandW Posted at 2018-1-10 05:25
Yes, of course, I researched it and checked all those things. The replacement is arriving tomorrow. Thank you.

Great, hope you enjoy the replacement, have fun and happy flying! Should you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know.
2018-1-11
Use props
RolandW
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-1-11 19:13
Great, hope you enjoy the replacement, have fun and happy flying! Should you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know.

Now it looks like UPS lost it. Oh well, weather's not good for flying now anyway. Thanks very much for your help!
2018-1-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules