DJI Go App - Android - v 4.1.18 - How to load Offline Maps?
15543 9 2017-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

A question for DJI (or anybody else who knows the answer) ...

The latest version of DJI Go App for Android v 4.1.18 has removed the "offline maps" capability from the home page menu which was present in earlier versions of the App.
Now, offline maps is an essential capability because many places we fly and film have no Wifi or Cellular data connection available.
I don't think DJI engineers would have removed an essential capability like that, but ...

... I think DJI may have reverted to using "Google Maps" functionality in Android for obtaining maps and offline maps.
... But, I think DJI forgot to tell anybody about this! ... user guide(s) for DJI Go App are out of date ...

I think you have to go into Google Maps on the phone or tablet and download offline maps there, procedure as follows:
https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en&visit_id=1-636487869882707323-657864044&rd=1

Can anyone confirm if my guess is correct, please?

Thanks,
Rob

2017-12-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi, Rob, as the offline maps service of HERE Maps is unstable, we have temporarily removed this feature from DJI GO v3.1.23 for Android and DJI GO 4 v4.1.18 for Android. We apologize for any inconveniences caused. We will make this feature available in the newer version as soon as possible.
I have also explained in your previous post with the recommended resolution, please check it out, thank you.
2017-12-14
Use props
MauroLM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 495843 ft
Brazil

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-14 00:38
Hi, Rob, as the offline maps service of HERE Maps is unstable, we have temporarily removed this feature from DJI GO v3.1.23 for Android and DJI GO 4 v4.1.18 for Android. We apologize for any inconveniences caused. We will make this feature available in the newer version as soon as possible.
I have also explained in your previous post with the recommended resolution, please check it out, thank you.

Diana, and who uses CrystalSky? Is it possible to download offline maps? I do a lot of filming in places without wi-fi or data connection available, and I only use CrystalSky.
2017-12-14
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-14 00:38

@DJI Mindy@  

Thanks for your reply confirming that offline maps capability has been disabled by DJI.
What happens if the DJI Go4 App cannot download the relevant map page for the flying location (because WiFi or cellular data are not available) ?
I have a strong suspicion that the drone will not operate.
Is this the root cause of the "can not take off" error messages encountered by me and others in this forum?

If Here maps server is unstable, how about switching to use Google Maps?
2017-12-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

RobAlbania Posted at 2017-12-14 09:37
@DJI Mindy@  

Thanks for your reply confirming that offline maps capability has been disabled by DJI.

Rob, if there is no map during flight, the drone can still fly but it would be difficult for you to locate the position of the drone.
We are working on getting the map issue fixed, sorry for the inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience.
2017-12-15
Use props
Pappy3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

DJI Mindy, any further update on when download offline maps will be added to the GO 4 app again? Version 4.1.22 is missing this feature as well.
2018-1-6
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
United States

Your best bet is to down grade your apps. When they can fix it is any body guess.
2018-1-6
Use props
idbl_fanatic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 509741 ft
United States

Still missing here as well, I did download google maps (offline) started the app with no WiFi, and it seems that the maps are there, haven't actually tried it with my AC connected yet.
2018-1-18
Use props
nazar404.yahoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394291 ft
  • >>>
United States

idbl_fanatic Posted at 2018-1-18 09:20
Still missing here as well, I did download google maps (offline) started the app with no WiFi, and it seems that the maps are there, haven't actually tried it with my AC connected yet.

DJI Mindy,

Its has been some time since I wrote on the topic of offline maps , to find out in another forum that is has been removed in version 4.1.18 on the CS Unit and the person who wrote this was "DJI Mindy"  so tell me why I am still holding  my Breath for a answer when it will be turned back on or the stability issue fixed.

with over $10,000 invested in DJI hardware and started from the Phantom 1,3,4 as a loyal customer I think  I am in title to have a answer , why is DJI always hiding something !!!

2018-1-22
Use props
djiuser_r9TNzCL4utIP
New

Germany

This really is ridiculous. Has a solution for this been found? It's 2020 and still the option is not there. Time to get a different drone?
2020-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules