Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone registration required in United States
2680 19 2017-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
QiiFlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is direct from the National Defense Authorization Act signed December 12 2017:

Section 1092 of H.R. 2810

(d) Restoration of rules for registration and marking of unmanned aircraft.—The rules adopted by the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration in the matter of registration and marking requirements for small unmanned aircraft (FAA-2015-7396; published on December 16, 2015) that were vacated by the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in Taylor v. Huerta (No. 15-1495; decided on May 19, 2017) shall be restored to effect on the date of enactment of this Act.

Link to NDAA below

https://www.congress.gov/bill/11 ... FB3A029CFEBBF6E709B
2017-12-14
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018

2017-12-14
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

So does that mean we are getting N numbers? I registered my drone with FAA when I bought it. Interesting lets see how they gonna enact it.
2017-12-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

There are already several threads on this.  

My understanding is all that's happened is we've gone back in time and we're back to how things were in 2016.  No N numbers are needed on Part 101 ACs.  However, your AC must be marked with the registration number.  It can be marked inside the battery compartment or even on the battery.  

I guess this means that, technically, if you bought a drone last summer and failed to register, you can't fly today.  
2017-12-14
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

BagoDJIoperator Posted at 2017-12-14 04:26
So does that mean we are getting N numbers? I registered my drone with FAA when I bought it. Interesting lets see how they gonna enact it.

Yes, registration numbers that are as long as a VIN number. This was passed a while back. It was included in another Act before Congress.
2017-12-14
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-12-14 04:29
There are already several threads on this.  

My understanding is all that's happened is we've gone back in time and we're back to how things were in 2016.  No N numbers are needed on Part 101 ACs.  However, your AC must be marked with the registration number.  It can be marked inside the battery compartment or even on the battery.  

Oh wow that's crazy, wonder how many people falls into this category?
2017-12-14
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Registration has its advantages, Germany has required it since October this year, and it takes the form of a fireproof plaque with the owners name and address. Registration makes the ac not only identifiable if lost but also returnable.
2017-12-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-12-14 05:25
...Registration makes the ac not only identifiable if lost but also returnable.

That's the upside, but in the US, there's a downside too.  My understanding - from reading hundreds of posts on this subject - since FAA has all the registration numbers, if a homeowner finds a drone that, say, crashes in his driveway, he may want to be kind and try to return the drone to its rightful owner.  He may contact FAA so as to give the registration number and get the address to safely return the drone.  But FAA won't give the drone owner's info.  He will be told to turn the drone into the nearest police station.  Then the police will contact FAA, a report will be filed, which could eventually lead to legal problems...
2017-12-14
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-12-14 05:44
That's the upside, but in the US, there's a downside too.  My understanding - from reading hundreds of posts on this subject - since FAA has all the registration numbers, if a homeowner finds a drone that, say, crashes in his driveway, he may want to be kind and try to return the drone to its rightful owner.  He may contact FAA so as to give the registration number and get the address to safely return the drone.  But FAA won't give the drone owner's info.  He will be told to turn the drone into the nearest police station.  Then the police will contact FAA, a report will be filed, which could eventually lead to legal problems...

I have my FAA #, my AMA #, Phone # and email on all my planes and MR's. This makes it easy to have a lost aircraft returned to you w/o involving the authorities.

It has long been a requirement of all AMA members to have in/on all aircraft, and our club has had dozens of planes returned to AMA club members over the years because of this info.
2017-12-14
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

That's the upside, but in the US, there's a downside too.  My understanding - from reading hundreds of posts on this subject - since FAA has all the registration numbers, if a homeowner finds a drone that, say, crashes in his driveway, he may want to be kind and try to return the drone to its rightful owner.  He may contact FAA so as to give the registration number and get the address to safely return the drone.  But FAA won't give the drone owner's info.  He will be told to turn the drone into the nearest police station.  Then the police will contact FAA, a report will be filed, which could eventually lead to legal problems...

Not so good, but if it has to be registered then put your name and address/or telelephone number on it anyway, shortcut the system, at least for the nice finders or those who want a reward for finding it.
2017-12-14
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Also helps police, in case you damage someone 's property to know exactly where to come with cuffs.
2017-12-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That's the upside, but in the US, there's a downside too.  My understanding - from reading hundreds of posts on this subject - since FAA has all the registration numbers, if a homeowner finds a drone that, say, crashes in his driveway, he may want to be kind and try to return the drone to its rightful owner.  He may contact FAA so as to give the registration number and get the address to safely return the drone.  But FAA won't give the drone owner's info.  He will be told to turn the drone into the nearest police station.  Then the police will contact FAA, a report will be filed, which could eventually lead to legal problems...

There is word going around that FAA will be putting all registered owners details and email address on their website.
2017-12-14
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-12-14 06:37
Not so good, but if it has to be registered then put your name and address/or telelephone number on it anyway, shortcut the system, at least for the nice finders or those who want a reward for finding it.

Yeah reward compensation for found drone would be a nice carrot to not involve anyone else. Once authorities become involved, yikes that could potentially bring other issues.
2017-12-14
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-12-14 07:42
Also helps police, in case you damage someone 's property to know exactly where to come with cuffs.

Personal accident insurance covers that, costs me 25 Euros per year. At least for the drone, other insurances cost a wee bit more.
2017-12-14
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-12-14 07:42

Should you not always accept responsibility for your actions. And have insurance to cover any expenses incurred from malfunctions etc.

This is why all full scale aircraft, cars and MCs  etc. have registrations.
2017-12-14
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Westside Osprey Posted at 2017-12-14 08:43
Should you not always accept responsibility for your actions. And have insurance to cover any expenses incurred from malfunctions etc.

This is why all full scale aircraft, cars and MCs  etc. have registrations.

Never inferred that I wouldn't , Westside.  Firm believer that when you err, you always own up to it.
2017-12-14
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1153681 ft
United States

Westside Osprey Posted at 2017-12-14 06:29
I have my FAA #, my AMA #, Phone # and email on all my planes and MR's. This makes it easy to have a lost aircraft returned to you w/o involving the authorities.

It has long been a requirement of all AMA members to have in/on all aircraft, and our club has had dozens of planes returned to AMA club members over the years because of this info.

Nobody has mentioned did they also reinstate the $5.00 fee when registering
2017-12-15
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

P4PCommander Posted at 2017-12-15 17:52
Nobody has mentioned did they also reinstate the $5.00 fee when registering

Yep, it still the same fee.

I kept my membership in place before and never inquired about a refund - no need.
2017-12-15
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-15 18:31
Yep, it still the same fee.

Aloha M.C.,

The refund was a limited time offer.  I got mine back automatically because I registered early.  The refund is no longer available as far as I know.  I have not heard of another offer.  Hey, maybe the FAA will do it again for a while.

Then we could get someone else to win a court case and have it thrown out again and not have to register and then another law will get passed to reinstate it and the FAA will offer a refund and on and on!  But then I have always been a dreamer!

On the upside, UAV quadcopters are the largest class of aircraft in the World now.  And there is registration to prove it!  We may even surpass all other aircraft combined.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-12-16
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-12-16 01:53
Aloha M.C.,

The refund was a limited time offer.  I got mine back automatically because I registered early.  The refund is no longer available as far as I know.  I have not heard of another offer.  Hey, maybe the FAA will do it again for a while.

2017-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules