Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DON'T be this guy!!!
5551 34 2017-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Highasakite
First Officer
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

Saw this today and almost puked! Safety First! Today, AP WASHINGTON — A recreational drone operator was at fault in the first confirmed midair collision in the U.S. between a drone and a manned aircraft, the National Transportation Safety Board said ThursdayThe operator was unaware the Federal Aviation Administration had temporarily banned drone flights in New York when his small drone collided with an Army Blackhawk helicopter on Sept. 21, the board said in a report on the incident. The U.N. General Assembly was meeting in New York at the time.
The helicopter suffered minor damage while the DJI Phantom 4 drone was destroyed, the report said.
The operator flew the drone 2.5 miles away despite a long-standing FAA prohibition on drone flights beyond the sight of an operator, the report said. The helicopter pilot saw the drone and tried to maneuver away from it, but it was too late to avoid the collision, the report said.
The collision occurred near Hoffman Island, just off Staten Island.
In his interview with investigators, the drone pilot "indicated that he was not concerned with flying beyond visual line of sight, and he expressed only a general cursory awareness of regulations and good operating practices," the report said.
The first confirmed drone collision with a commercial aircraft in North America took place in Quebec City, Canada, in October. The small drone crashed into a twin-propeller Beech 100 King Air with six passengers and two crew members aboard as the plane was descending to land. No one was injured, and the plane landed safely with only minor damage.

2017-12-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

More details here:  https://phantompilots.com/thread ... m-sept-2017.127814/

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-me ... lack-hawk-collision

credit:  BigAl07 on phantompilots.com

2017-12-14
Use props
Highasakite
First Officer
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

Thank's   Mark The Droner . Safety First! Ken.
2017-12-14
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.4
United States

They really should report with the name of the idiot that is messing it up for the rest of us, so the drone community can put him on blast.
2017-12-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

His name is in there - see the second link in post #2
2017-12-14
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

A $100,000 fine would the attention of every nitwit rule breaker.
2017-12-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

If they make him pay for the new prop they had to install on the helicopter, that alone would be pretty painful.

What I'm worried about is what DJI is going to do.  When the P2 crashed onto the White House lawn in Jan 2015, DJI had a new FW upgrade within a month which locked us from flying in the DC FRZ and other places.  And the whole NFZ thing was born.  What's going to happen with this?  Yet, more NFZ restrictions?  Or worse, a massive power cap of every DJI P3-or-higher controller in the US?  They could switch us all over to CE mode.  Or worse.  And they could do it pretty easily.

https://phantompilots.com/threads/no-fly-zone-hack.34304/

2017-12-14
Use props
DrohneMann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 87415 ft
  • >>>
United States

What kind of ignorant fool would think it’s ok to fly a drone near an Airport!
2017-12-14
Use props
stacebaal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621257 ft
United States

Agree, this is a bad story for the drone community.  I absolutely have come to love arial photography and flying/traveling with my drones. However, the more affordable and popular it becomes the more difficult I'm finding it. I too often see people making poor choices and just doing dumb things. I recognize this isn't a 'hobby' that can scale to mass consumer levels. I'm enjoying the freedom to fly while I can. I fear in the not to distant future too many drones in the sky combimed with poeple blatently abusing the rules will force heavy regualtion. I'm guessing hobbiests may one day only be able to fly in rural areas on/or over thier own property.  
We'll see what happens in a few weeks as people open thier gifts and take thier new 'toys' up into the sky.  
2017-12-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Over 500’ up and 2.5 miles away in a temporary NFZ and collided with a military chopper?!? You can get sent down for 5 years for that in the UK. He should be banned from flying anything again with a jail term IMO. I expect an example will be made. I only hope this won’t ruin the hobby for our American friends with new, very restrictive rules from the FAA.
2017-12-14
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

DrohneMann Posted at 2017-12-14 14:57
What kind of ignorant fool would think it’s ok to fly a drone near an Airport!

What kind of ignorant fool would think it's okay to fly a drone beyond where you can see it clearly.  It is hard to avoid General Aviation and US Army helicopters if you can't see the sky the drone is operating it.  

World record flight distance thwarted by a helicopter.  So sad   Hope he gets real jail time and a heavy fine.  Enforce laws.  Don't just keep making up more.

2017-12-14
Use props
Jezmo
Second Officer
United States

Wow, jail time and a heavy fine. That seems a bit excessive since no one even got hurt. I can see a fine but jail time is pretty extreme for a first offense. Just sayin'
2017-12-14
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

If that happens, I'll be out.  Kite flying would be more fun.
2017-12-14
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-12-14 16:02
If that happens, I'll be out.  Kite flying would be more fun.

Me too or better yet stick to riding on the track.
2017-12-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

The collision was at 300'
2017-12-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, thanks for sharing the news with us. Safety First, and hope more pilots will be aware of this and follow the local regulations.
2017-12-14
Use props
DrohneMann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 87415 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pumavic Posted at 2017-12-14 14:01
They really should report with the name of the idiot that is messing it up for the rest of us, so the drone community can put him on blast.

These idiots need to stop ruining it for people like us that just want to get some cinematic footage and enjoy the thrills of flying. It's sad that it has to come to this and most importantly use common sense. If these people used common sense ten they would be like "oh yeah flying a drone near a plane could make it crash" but no they' just act ignorant. My opinion is that these people just act naive just to cover up the mistake. It really is just a damn shame that people who just love this Hobby can't enjoy it Anymore.
2017-12-14
Use props
JW5255
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5291158 ft
  • >>>
Canada

The collision in Quebec City was only reported by Transport Canada, not the airline, or anyone else.  The media picked up the Transport Canada statement and ran with it.  I have doubts this story was accurate and a drone collision was "never confirmed".  
2017-12-15
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

With the height that some non-commercial devices use ... I would not be surprised if this happened to any of us ... any day

2017-12-15
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

If you know a bit about aviation regulations ... you will understand that the devices in the photo do not belong to commercial lines, since the distances established in the routes V.O.R (VHF omniderctional Radar) are not respected.
2017-12-15
Use props
Rigger73
First Officer
Flight distance : 378478 ft
United Kingdom

Jezmo Posted at 2017-12-14 16:00
Wow, jail time and a heavy fine. That seems a bit excessive since no one even got hurt. I can see a fine but jail time is pretty extreme for a first offense. Just sayin'

Well done!  You get idiotic comment of the year, in my book.

If you had any inkling at all of the seriousness of aviation safety, and how birdstrikes/dronestrikes affect the structural integrity of the airframe, then you would realise how much of a idiot you have just made yourself.

Does a drink-driver hurt anyone, everytime he or she is stupid enough to get behind the wheel after one too many alcoholic drinks.  Maybe they'll get lucky and get home without any incidents.  Should the police then not bother watching out for drink-divers?  All because it "seems a bit excessive since no-one got hurt"?

We as drone-fliers, are being increasingly persecuted through the media, thanks to idiots like this, who are unaware of the rules most of us comply with.  Ignorance is no excuse.

If you're not part of the answer, then your part of the problem.

That's the way I see you answer, ultimately.

2017-12-15
Use props
Privateer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 117493 ft
United States

What annoyed me the most was the operators comment of how he thought the DJI app would essentially be his "parent" and keep him out of trouble...This is what causes our restrictive DJI app

Below is from the AOPA article
Tantashov told the investigation team that he had heard of the FAA B4UFLY app, one of several airspace awareness tools available at no cost to drone pilots, though he had never used it, or any other apps beyond the DJI GO 4 app used to operate the Phantom 4. He told investigators that he knew to stay away from airports, and that there was Class B airspace nearby, and that he relied on the DJI app (his tablet had only Wi-Fi capability, not cellular, so it had no access to current data) for airspace avoidance. He said he had received no warning from the app about the TFR before launching, and was not aware of the TFRs that were in effect at that time that included the entire Class B airspace, down to the surface within its lateral boundaries.
2017-12-15
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

It will all come down on the pilot as ignorance of the law.  Maybe anyone who buys one needs to take the 107 test.  That or lock it down to 50 altitude and 150 foot range until one has one.  If caught in violation, pull their license and lock it down again, or maybe permanently if they keep it up.

2017-12-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

Flying in the TFR is a violation, but really, that's just incidental.  I find it ironic that he would hit a manned AC flying in a TFR.  One would think his odds of a collision would drop to almost nothing flying during a TFR.  

But the TFR is not what necessarily caused the collision.  The real problem is he flew out of VLOS.  

Also, I think there's a lesson here re flying a drone out of VLOS over water.  The manned ACs are more likely to fly low over water than over land.  
2017-12-15
Use props
tokenbrit
First Officer
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

I find the VLOS definition to be somewhat vague and misleading.  Let's face it, it's hard to physically see the drone at 1 mile out let alone at 2.5 miles out - but in any event the operator should have at very least had a line of sight to where the drone was and should have seen the Blackhawk.

But supposing he did have VLOS and saw the Blackhawk - what evasive action should he have taken? At distance it would be very difficult to accurately judge the speed, distance, direction or height of the helicopter.  

In fact, the pilot of the Blackhawk was actually best placed to take action  - he saw it and probably had a better chance of avoiding the drone as it was flying a predictable course (In this case the drone was in RTH mode) - but unfortunately even he couldn't get out of the way.   

During the summer I saw a private helicopter swoop low over an island near where I fly. Certainly well below 400ft   Fortunately I wasn't operating my drone at the time - but it made me think about how I would have reacted if I had been - It's a very scary scenario.
2017-12-15
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-12-15 09:47
Flying in the TFR is a violation, but really, that's just incidental.  I find it ironic that he would hit a manned AC flying in a TFR.  One would think his odds of a collision would drop to almost nothing flying during a TFR.  

But the TFR is not what necessarily caused the collision.  The real problem is he flew out of VLOS.  

Yep but not really since he said he's flown in that area hundreds of times...and he also said he's seen lots of helicopters in the area...so it was just a matter of time with this guy. He was being greedy and going beyond what most would like to go but don't out of respect for the rules. Thanks for your help with the info on this.
2017-12-15
Use props
Rigger73
First Officer
United Kingdom

tokenbrit Posted at 2017-12-15 14:06
I find the VLOS definition to be somewhat vague and misleading.  Let's face it, it's hard to physically see the drone at 1 mile out let alone at 2.5 miles out - but in any event the operator should have at very least had a line of sight to where the drone was and should have seen the Blackhawk.

But supposing he did have VLOS and saw the Blackhawk - what evasive action should he have taken? At distance it would be very difficult to accurately judge the speed, distance, direction or height of the helicopter.  

Because the Blackhawk pilot saw it at the last second - you think he could take avoiding action?  At the last second?

You do know that a 15 ton cab can't just jink out of the way?

While they are manoeuvrable - intertia tends to keep them on the same course or track for a bit.

I don't know the cruise IAS of a Blackhawk, but I do know the Sikorsky S-61 was about 130mph.  Not fast compared to today's cabs, but still fast enough to make spotting a Phantom sized drone a challenge.
Think about flying down the motorway, highway freeway at 120mph even - and trying to spot a drone.  Not easy, not easy at all.
2017-12-15
Use props
CraigR
lvl.4
Australia

A heat seeking missile would have quickly taken care of the drone but probably would have damaged the missile
2017-12-15
Use props
tokenbrit
First Officer
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-12-15 16:38
Because the Blackhawk pilot saw it at the last second - you think he could take avoiding action?  At the last second?

You do know that a 15 ton cab can't just jink out of the way?

I agree, in fact the Blackhawk pilot spotted the drone and tried  to avoid it but didn’t have time.  My point however, is that he at least had a chance - would his chances have been further reduced if the UAS pilot tried to rapidly descend, potentially dropping the drone through the rotars?
2017-12-16
Use props
Rigger73
First Officer
United Kingdom

tokenbrit Posted at 2017-12-16 05:24
I agree, in fact the Blackhawk pilot spotted the drone and tried  to avoid it but didn’t have time.  My point however, is that he at least had a chance - would his chances have been further reduced if the UAS pilot tried to rapidly descend, potentially dropping the drone through the rotars?

Potentially, yes, there is a chance that the drone could have dropped into the rotor disc.

I think if I had ever been silly enough to find myself in that situation - then I'd try to descend the drone as fast as possible.
2017-12-16
Use props
Rigger73
First Officer
United Kingdom

CraigR Posted at 2017-12-15 21:13
A heat seeking missile would have quickly taken care of the drone but probably would have damaged the missile

Nah - it would have missed.

I kid you not, missile are designed to miss.

Hittiles are designed to hit.  
2017-12-16
Use props
CraigR
lvl.4
Australia

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-12-16 06:55
Nah - it would have missed.

I kid you not, missile are designed to miss.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry
2017-12-16
Use props
Jezmo
Second Officer
United States

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-12-15 03:04
Well done!  You get idiotic comment of the year, in my book.

If you had any inkling at all of the seriousness of aviation safety, and how birdstrikes/dronestrikes affect the structural integrity of the airframe, then you would realise how much of a idiot you have just made yourself.

OK, just to set the record straight, I have roughly 40 years in commercial aviation, am a licensed pilot and have no interest challenging your view of the world. I wish you all the best in your aviation endeavers.
2018-1-6
Use props
Rigger73
First Officer
United Kingdom

So now you are trying to justify your comments through your experience.

You flew/fly aircraft, and know a birdstrike is a bad thing, more so at low altitude.

So you should also know the seriousness and high risk this poses to flight safety and life.

2018-1-7
Use props
Antonio76
Captain
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Pumavic Posted at 2017-12-14 14:01
They really should report with the name of the idiot that is messing it up for the rest of us, so the drone community can put him on blast.

yeah!

foto-1.jpg
2018-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules