New (Replacement) Mavic Pro Rotates/Slides with No Controller Input
13703 162 2017-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RodrigueElHajj
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17264 ft
France

Just got my new mavic and went to test it out today and face with the same issues.
I posted a here:https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=138597&pid=1232532&page=1&extra=&mobile=2#pid1232532

Then saw the amount of people having this issue!

The mavic drifting to the right when stop moving forward creeps the hell out of me, u feel like u're gonna lose ur Drone!

2018-3-3
Use props
Mavdude
lvl.4
Australia

Yep, I almost hit a pole from this one time. It's when I really noticed it and became aware that it does it.

I think a lot of drones do this, but unless you try and fly in a straight line in a restricted area, many people will never notice that their drones do this.
2018-3-3
Use props
KrisTM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 670994 ft
Australia

Another Mavic here that has done the exact same thing out of the box. I was hoping this thread might offer some solutions but it seems not. Very disappointing. I use my Mavic for work for progress records. I had used a couple P4's for around a year with very few issues (firmware causing havoc was the only one). Seems I should have stuck with a P4.
2018-4-2
Use props
KrisTM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 670994 ft
Australia

Just thought of another way to show that the aircraft is pointing slightly to the side when flying and therefore drifting off path. A little while back I did some aerial mapping using drone deploy. All of the photos are on an angle compared to the flight path. A decent angle too. It would be interesting to see the signals that the aircraft was being sent as the flight path is perfect. I'm tipping there is lots of roll sideways  in there to keep the aircraft on a straight path whilst the yaw is off. You could probably punch in a waypoint mission into the Go app too and replicate the exact same thing.
2018-4-3
Use props
Mavdude
lvl.4
Australia

KrisTM Posted at 2018-4-2 20:09
Another Mavic here that has done the exact same thing out of the box. I was hoping this thread might offer some solutions but it seems not. Very disappointing. I use my Mavic for work for progress records. I had used a couple P4's for around a year with very few issues (firmware causing havoc was the only one). Seems I should have stuck with a P4.

Congratulations on your purchase of a "normal" "fully functional" mavic!
I would hate to think that you would get a faulty one that flies straight and stops in a straight line!

I noticed with mine that when stopping, one of the back props dips a bit, right at the last second. This is when it slides sideways.

And I'm sure when it flies it flies slightly tilted to one side/corner, hence why it crab walks.

Perhaps it should be called a mavic crab.
2018-4-4
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft

It's funny, one guy basically accused me of inventing this problem, implying it was all in my head. Nevermind the other thread that's been active for over a year, with people complaining about this very issue... With only one comment from DJI (asking for more details), then zero follow-up from them.
2018-4-4
Use props
Aniou
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242805 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same problem here ;)
2018-6-9
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

Aniou Posted at 2018-6-9 14:07
I have the same problem here ;)

I would suggest you contact DJI and refer them to this thread, telling them you have the same issues. If enough of us do that, they may finally start investigating it... After over a year!
2018-6-9
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Jyunte Posted at 2018-2-11 00:58
It seems I am not alone after all. This problem, with Mavic Pro aircraft rotating on their own, and drifting when they should be flying straight, has been going on FOR OVER A YEAR!

See this thread ("Mavic Yaw drift").

Wow. I had this problem too - well over a year ago.  I was on FW .400 and all was perfect.  Based on the crazy # of issues with people on newer FWs at the time I stayed on this older FW and never had a problem.  But I went on a trip and made the bad decision to upgrad it's FW (to I believe 0.700) so that I would not have any issues with forced updates being required while travelling without a computer.......immediately experienced this gimbal drift and then shortly after had the drift/not flying straight issue (exactly as it is described here).  No amount of calibration or FW reflashing fixed it.  The horizon was tilted a few degress as well and required constant tweeking prior to any flight where I was taking video.  I never raised a support ticket as I though I'd work it out as a calibration thing.  Didn't have a chance to fix it b/c my Mavic ended up suffering the dreaded video trans issues and  crazy App disconnect/unresponsive / lag resulting in total loss.  So I feel your pain, I've been in DJI Service limbo for 9mons now.  Official analysis by DJI is "no software or hardware defects" despite tons of my own data and supporting evidence (not the least of which is the crazy number of reports of same in these forums) to the contrary.

This "Yaw drift" issue is real and it is FW related.  I saw many reports of people experiencing this early last year and seemed related to the FW releases of that era. Good luck!
2018-7-4
Use props
djiuser_RVMzmkp0gbeE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 51273 ft

i have the same problem with a brandnew mavic pro. Nothing will fix it. Update the firmware DJI!!!!!!
2018-7-4
Use props
Mavdude
lvl.4
Australia

randy.sauder Posted at 2018-7-4 08:01
Wow. I had this problem too - well over a year ago.  I was on FW .400 and all was perfect.  Based on the crazy # of issues with people on newer FWs at the time I stayed on this older FW and never had a problem.  But I went on a trip and made the bad decision to upgrad it's FW (to I believe 0.700) so that I would not have any issues with forced updates being required while travelling without a computer.......immediately experienced this gimbal drift and then shortly after had the drift/not flying straight issue (exactly as it is described here).  No amount of calibration or FW reflashing fixed it.  The horizon was tilted a few degress as well and required constant tweeking prior to any flight where I was taking video.  I never raised a support ticket as I though I'd work it out as a calibration thing.  Didn't have a chance to fix it b/c my Mavic ended up suffering the dreaded video trans issues and  crazy App disconnect/unresponsive / lag resulting in total loss.  So I feel your pain, I've been in DJI Service limbo for 9mons now.  Official analysis by DJI is "no software or hardware defects" despite tons of my own data and supporting evidence (not the least of which is the crazy number of reports of same in these forums) to the contrary.

This "Yaw drift" issue is real and it is FW related.  I saw many reports of people experiencing this early last year and seemed related to the FW releases of that era. Good luck!

That is very interesting and good to know that you didn't have this until you updated from .400.

Might have to install the internal sd card and downgrade to .400 and see what happens..

It's not very hard for someone to test this. If you do it at height, you probably won't notice it.
If you do it close to the ground(say 2m) in a laneway you will notice it. We should call it the "L" stop!!!
2018-7-4
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

Mavdude Posted at 2018-7-4 17:01
That is very interesting and good to know that you didn't have this until you updated from .400.

Might have to install the internal sd card and downgrade to .400 and see what happens..

I should clarify that the FW I was on (that was perfect until my update to .700) was the "0.400" FW from early 2017 I believe...not the most recent version that I believe is 'v1.x.0400' ...with 044 coincidently in the filename...mine was several updates ago.  I believe the only key new feature of the version I upgraded to was 'pano mode'.  I've not flown a mavic for many months so I am not fully up to date with recent FW and software updates (quite literally b/c I ignored these forums for many months b/c I had a bad taste in my mouth from my DJI Support experience but have since re-joined since about May   ).
2018-7-6
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

Jyunte Posted at 2018-6-9 21:57
I would suggest you contact DJI and refer them to this thread, telling them you have the same issues. If enough of us do that, they may finally start investigating it... After over a year!

Doesn't seem like DJI (email) Support is knowledgeable about what is trending in these forums...their official reply to me on this issue is "The is no software issue".  On the same hand, there is no hardware issue as well - they provide no data to support that position either.  I'd like to know what their process is for product recalls.  I've a lot of respect for what GoPro long ago did with their Karma.  While DJI's products are not falling from the sky due to battery firmware issues (like GoPro), I believe their software, being the major component of the flight control system has directly caused many fly-aways/crashes and other erratic behavior that should be an important safety issue; one that appears to be mounting in evidence.
2018-7-6
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

randy.sauder Posted at 2018-7-6 10:34
Doesn't seem like DJI (email) Support is knowledgeable about what is trending in these forums...their official reply to me on this issue is "The is no software issue".  On the same hand, there is no hardware issue as well - they provide no data to support that position either.  I'd like to know what their process is for product recalls.  I've a lot of respect for what GoPro long ago did with their Karma.  While DJI's products are not falling from the sky due to battery firmware issues (like GoPro), I believe their software, being the major component of the flight control system has directly caused many fly-aways/crashes and other erratic behavior that should be an important safety issue; one that appears to be mounting in evidence.

Similarly, their response to me was that my aircraft was "behaving normally". They came to this conclusion having ignored the videos of it rotating while hovering; videos of it yawing left by 100 yards for every 300 yards it flew towards; the flight logs which showed the compass and GPS fighting each other; the videos of the aircraft diving right when braking in sports mode; and now, dozens and dozens of similar reports from other people.

It's amazing just how much evidence DJI is willing to ignore, in order to avoid fixing problems with their products.
2018-7-6
Use props
Aniou
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Jyunte Posted at 2018-6-9 21:57

I did.
Unit sent to DJI Netherlands under warranty.
After diagnosing they wrote:
"warranty, no crash or liquid damage. Craft is drifting. Flight controller board has to be replaced."

Today they have sent me a new unit with the new serial number.
Now I'm waiting for delivery.
2018-7-10
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

Aniou Posted at 2018-7-10 08:06
I did.
Unit sent to DJI Netherlands under warranty.
After diagnosing they wrote:

Good luck.
I hope the repair facility in your country does a better job than the repair facility in Cerritos, CA.

Just FYI, if the serial number ends with "R", or the 10th digit is "R", then you are receiving a refurbished unit.

Please let us know how it goes.
2018-7-10
Use props
Aniou
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Jyunte Posted at 2018-7-10 22:41
Good luck.
I hope the repair facility in your country does a better job than the repair facility in Cerritos, CA.

It's a new Mavic build on: 20. June 2018
Tomorrow will be with me.
All took almost 2 weeks (sent on Monday 2nd July).
Hope new Mavic will be fine.
2018-7-11
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

Aniou Posted at 2018-7-11 07:45
It's a new Mavic build on: 20. June 2018
All took almost 2 weeks (sent on Monday 2nd July).

Excellent!
I look forward to hearing if the problem is resolved.
The issue I see, is that they allegedly found a problem with the flight controller and, presumably, replaced it... But they're sending you a new, totally different aircraft. This new aircraft may well have the exact same issue, since many people are still reporting problems with their brand new Mavic Pro aircraft.
Please let us know how it goes.
2018-7-11
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-17 22:46
Hey Jyunte, thanks for keeping us updated. Please let us know the latest progress and the test results, we'll be here for help.

DJI Susan,

Exactly 7 months since I reported this issue.

Where is the fix?

DJI moved this thread to the service forum, alleging that's where it should be so that it would get solved faster. SEVEN MONTHS. Where is the fix to this problem?
2018-7-15
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

Jyunte Posted at 2018-7-15 21:30
DJI Susan,

Test... This past no longer shows up
2018-7-16
Use props
Mavdude
lvl.4
Australia

Aniou Posted at 2018-7-11 07:45
It's a new Mavic build on: 20. June 2018
All took almost 2 weeks (sent on Monday 2nd July).

How did you go with the new mavic?
2018-7-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2018-7-15 21:30
DJI Susan,

Fix is forth coming.  You need to be patient.
Now move along.  Nothing to see here!

2018-7-17
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-17 10:00

Who says the fix is forth coming?  Is these before or after they fix the Video Transmission and umpteen other software/firmware issues?
2018-7-17
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-17 10:00

I think I've been VERY patient... Seven months patient... 5 Mavic Pro aircraft patient.

Who says a fix is coming?
What's the timeframe for this fix?
Is it just a nebulous, "Our engineers are working on it"? Because that's all I've seen.
What priority is this fix? Higher or lower than the poor video quality and constant disconnection issues?

And why was this post hidden so that no one without the direct link can see it or find it?

...I mean, if a fix is coming, wouldn't this thread be a GREAT way of publicizing that news?
2018-7-17
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

Mavdude Posted at 2018-7-16 18:29
How did you go with the new mavic?

It yaws less badly than the other replacements, but still drifts right when flying "straight", and it still rotates left during hovering. The gimbal still regularly resets, or just "loses sync" (starts drifting around, points up at the sky, slowly lowers towards the horizon, is 45 degrees off level, points to the ground, slowly rises to the level position... Takes about 35 seconds).
2018-7-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2018-7-17 11:36
I think I've been VERY patient... Seven months patient... 5 Mavic Pro aircraft patient.

Who says a fix is coming?

It was Sarcasm!  
See Smiley with coy wink and tongue flipping out.
2018-7-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

MrArcher Posted at 2018-7-17 10:55
Who says the fix is forth coming?  Is these before or after they fix the Video Transmission and umpteen other software/firmware issues?

Missing Sarcasm Smiley?  and dripping with sarcasm of Move along?
2018-7-17
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-17 12:17
It was Sarcasm!  
See Smiley with coy wink and tongue flipping out.

You didn't write it in a stereotypically bad Chinese accent. Of course we missed the sarcasm!
2018-7-17
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

I had this problem today, when attempting to do precision footage, flying in between two trees.

That resulted in a close encounter with a birch tree, which was luckily avoided by the obstacle avoidance system. Here I aligned the shot., so that Mavic would go between two trees. I had LOS and verified the direction Mavic was pointing to on the phone screen. When I started forward movement, Mavic went in a direction slightly off-course from where it was pointing (as if in "course lock" mode), thus ultimately ending up in front of the tree ranches and doing an emergency break. No compass errors were reported, though this smells of a compass error.

In the attached image I extended with a white line the magYaw line from the CsvView GeoPlayer. This shows the direction I was expecting to fly when going forward, it also being the dead center of the image feed. The red line shows the actual path Mavic was taking when the stick was pushed forward.

yaw.png
2018-7-19
Use props
Aniou
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Jyunte Posted at 2018-7-11 10:38
Excellent!
I look forward to hearing if the problem is resolved.
The issue I see, is that they allegedly found a problem with the flight controller and, presumably, replaced it... But they're sending you a new, totally different aircraft. This new aircraft may well have the exact same issue, since many people are still reporting problems with their brand new Mavic Pro aircraft.

It seems to be all good with the new aircraft. Little drifts on strong wind but its corrected by gps system, little yaw when hovering but after some time its keeping steady. Flying start when pushed right stick forward.
In tap2fly mode its drifting a bit more but its repositioning itself by gps.

A lot better than old mavic.
2018-7-25
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-2 21:26
The threads need to be posted in the specific column and it will be better to follow up. All customers on the forum who go to this topic will be able to read your thread. We all want to do the best to solve your issue and make our best to improve our service. Your case has forwarded to the designated team, please wait patiently and hope your kind understanding of the forum rules.

DJI Thor,

When will DJI fix this?

This thread has been in the Service forum for MONTHS and DJI has *not* followed up on it at all.  This is recent video from the FIFTH Mavic Pro you sent me, ALL of which have the exact same drifting problem.  The total forward distance flown was less than 100 yards, yet the Mavic Pro started drifting to the right almost immediately. and would have collided with the trees on the right, had I not stopped it. Don't ask me if this problem always happens at the same location - this was over 1,000 miles from my normal flying locations. It happens EVERYWHERE. Don't ask me for flight logs - I gave you flight logs months ago and DJI did nothing with them.

"Your case has forwarded to the designated team, please wait patiently"

I've been waiting patiently... I've waited many months and tried 5 replacement aircraft, and still DJI has not addressed this issue.

(Info on video: Four attempts were made to simply fly forward and climb over the building, a distance of less than 100 yards. In each attempt, the Mavic Pro drifted severely to the right. In one attempt, the aircraft almost collided with a tree. In the last attempt, constant course corrections were made in order to keep the aircraft flying "straight". Due to the amount of drift varying over time, these constant course directions are very obvious and make the resulting footage useless. IMU, Compass and Controller calibrations were all done before the flights. The aircraft was flown in several different locations, and exhibited the same drifting in each location.)

https://youtu.be/KXvcif44gug

2018-8-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Jyunte Posted at 2018-8-3 15:09
DJI Thor,

When will DJI fix this?

Hi Jyunte, I am sorry for your case. Your case was escalated at that time, and we reviewed your feedback and it was confirmed normal by the engineers according the the previous info that you provided before.
I do notice your new video, and you had calibrated the IMU and RC etc., it is convenient, I might still need to ask for your flight records so I can check it and have the engineers to check again. Hope for your cooperation.
2018-8-4
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-8-4 07:15
Hi Jyunte, I am sorry for your case. Your case was escalated at that time, and we reviewed your feedback and it was confirmed normal by the engineers according the the previous info that you provided before.
I do notice your new video, and you had calibrated the IMU and RC etc., it is convenient, I might still need to ask for your flight records so I can check it and have the engineers to check again. Hope for your cooperation.

It was found to be "normal"... Drifting and rotating without pilot input, as verified by the flight logs. My first Mavic Pro didn't do that, and there are many, many people on these forums who do not have this problem,. This means those aircraft that do have these problems are not "normal". This is a defect that DJI has admitted... But DJI is doing nothing to fix.
2018-8-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Jyunte Posted at 2018-8-4 14:00
It was found to be "normal"... Drifting and rotating without pilot input, as verified by the flight logs. My first Mavic Pro didn't do that, and there are many, many people on these forums who do not have this problem,. This means those aircraft that do have these problems are not "normal". This is a defect that DJI has admitted... But DJI is doing nothing to fix.

Sorry for the delay, Jyunte. Could you please sync the record and provide me with your DJI account, and tell me the time and date of these flights? I do hope that we can solve it if it is confirmed an issue. I will PM you, too. Please check at your convenience.
2018-8-6
Use props
fanseacc58a6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 694508 ft
Canada

Same issue here but on a p4p v2... I have the pvp2 pvp2+ p3p and all fly in a straight line. Mine yaws just like yours.
www.opspeculate.com
2019-2-23
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

fanseacc58a6 Posted at 2-23 12:16
Same issue here but on a p4p v2... I have the pvp2 pvp2+ p3p and all fly in a straight line. Mine yaws just like yours.
www.opspeculate.com

DJI doesn't care.
They've moved on to new models and those of us with defective older units have little or no recourse. They've had years to fix this problem and they haven't put in the effort to do so. My Mavic Pro hasn't been flown in months because it won't fly where directed, and that makes it unfit for the purpose for which it was purchased.
2019-3-5
Use props
BothanJedi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 257838 ft
United States

Was progress ever made on this? I had the problem, DJI sent me a "new" one and I thought it was better. Took it on vacation and it flew left (very visible) and the gimbal drifted a ton, which made taking scenery shots very difficult. When flying straight, all I was pushing was straight on the sticks. Just re-calibrated the IMU, compass, sticks, and gimbal. It seemed somewhat better, but you could still tell the issue was there. Can someone from DJI recommend what needs to be done? I don't want to go through ANOTHER replacement just for the issue to not be resolved again.....
2019-3-30
Use props
akman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17185 ft
United States

Here's an observation on this drifting issue.  My replacement MPP veers badly to the left when I try to fly in a straight line. But, I can fly 1000 meters away, hit RTH and it flies back straight as an arrow. So obviously the thing is capable of straight-line flight.  Using the controller and sticks, I cannot even fly 20 feet in a straight line.  Also, I notice when flying around low and close-by, when I fly and stop in mid-air, the drone does a little dance in an area about 8X8 feet as if it's trying to precisely locate itself by GPS before it settles and hovers in one spot.  
2019-4-2
Use props
Opspeculate_2nd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 694508 ft
Canada

You can try

Opspeculate's Yaw Drift Fix
2019-4-6
Use props
dieselfury
lvl.1
Flight distance : 696453 ft
United States

Has this issue been resolved yet? Still happens to me.
2019-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules