Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New (Replacement) Mavic Pro Rotates/Slides with No Controller Input
12345Next >
13035 162 2017-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jyunte
First Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

I was excited to get my brand-new, never used, replacement Mavic Pro today. This replaces the one I lost on a mountain-side a few weeks ago.

Thing is, there's a problem with this replacement. When hovering, with no input on the sticks whatsoever, the aircraft will rotate slowly, either clockwise or counter-clockwise. I fly Mode 2, and if I press the right stick forward, with no side pressure, it will slide either left or right as it flies forward.

I have:

• Calibrated the IMU on a perfectly flat, non-metallic surface
  • Calibrated the Compass away from all ferrous materials, transmitters and cell phones
  • Calibrated the RC sticks and wheels
  • Changed the EXPO on the Yaw (left) stick to eliminate any possibility that I might be adding Yaw input (though all the tests were done "thumbs off")
  • Checked the (brand-new) props for damage/faults and correct installation

I am running Mavic Pro firmware 1.04.000 (it came with 1.03.000) as this is the version I was running successfully on my previous aircraft
The RC and batteres are all on the same firmware level and I refreshed the firmware just to make sure.
I'm using DJI Go 4 version 4.1.18, the same version I was using with my original Mavic Pro.

What can I try next? I don't want to return a day-old, brand-new Mavic Pro, for a DJI refurb!!

Below is a video showing many different tests... just hovering in place; flying forwards; yawing left and stopping; yawing right and stopping etc. I added cross-hairs and a vertical line so you can see the drifing/rotating more easily.

2017-12-14
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Can you actually see the drone actually moving or could it be the gimbal that is slowly moving. I have seen this type of movement before in the gimbal.
Seeing as you have calibrated everything else. calibrate the gimbal.
Also under the Gimbal settings is a setting called Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow. Check if this is on or off.
2017-12-14
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-12-14 20:43
Can you actually see the drone actually moving or could it be the gimbal that is slowly moving. I have seen this type of movement before in the gimbal.
Seeing as you have calibrated everything else. calibrate the gimbal.
Also under the Gimbal settings is a setting called Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow. Check if this is on or off.

Ah, calibrate the gimbal. I knew I forgot one thing! Only thing that makes me think that might not be it, is the aircraft sliding left or right as it flies forward... though, if the gimbal is looking slightly left or right, that might explain it.
2017-12-14
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

I did a gimbal calibration last night and will try to test the aircraft this afternoon.
2017-12-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

There is one setting that might cause this.
Something with the gimbal adjusting for rotating motion.
I had a similar 'issue' and when it was turned off, that was gone.
Since I don't have the MP anymore (and not yet), I can't confirm what it is.
2017-12-15
Use props
4WDaus
Captain
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

It’s not by chance a cross wind?
2017-12-15
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

4WDaus Posted at 2017-12-15 13:20
It’s not by chance a cross wind?

No... Not a cross wind. As you can see in several shots, the flag is not even waving. A cross wind would not make it rotate. I didn't get a chance to fly today, so won't know if the gimbal calibration fixed the issue until tomorrow.
2017-12-15
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-12-15 13:08
There is one setting that might cause this.

The follow/FPV seetting is correct.
2017-12-15
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-12-15 13:08
There is one setting that might cause this.

It is called Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow. I asked the OP to see whether it was on or off.
2017-12-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-12-15 21:39
It is called Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow. I asked the OP to see whether it was on or off.

Thanks, that was it!
2017-12-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Jyunte Posted at 2017-12-15 15:52
The follow/FPV seetting is correct.

That was not the one. See #9
2017-12-16
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-12-16 03:59
That was not the one. See #9

I flew one battery today, after doing the gimbal calibration. It seemed better... but it was so windy, it was hard to tell!

The setting In Gimbal -> Advanced -> Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow is set to ON. That's the way it was with my previous Mavic.
2017-12-16
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2017-12-16 18:54
I flew one battery today, after doing the gimbal calibration. It seemed better... but it was so windy, it was hard to tell!

The setting In Gimbal -> Advanced -> Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow is set to ON. That's the way it was with my previous Mavic.

If it happens again then you might upload the DAT file and I'll take a look. The only time I've ever seen this personally occurred when I took off from concrete that I know had a large amount of rebar, so you may want to see if the behavior is related to magnetic interference prior to takeoff. When it happened to me there was no "magnetic interference" message prior to takeoff, but during flight the Mavic slowly yawed without any stick input just as it does in your video.
2017-12-17
Use props
djiuser_MP6tU5Q
lvl.1

United States

Your videos to me looks exactly like how my Mavic Pro was wondering around.  My fix was going back to standard props, then recalibrate got the controller sticks.  But you dated this with without input so my only guess is must be a strong enough inblance somewhere.  My guess is maybe need to clean the motors out or something with compressed air?  One of the motors maybe spinning at a slower RPM on one corner?

Check to see how freely each motor spins, it could be one of the motors is tighter or wildly looser than the rest and not able to spin as fast or spinning too fast causing some slight wondering that’s out of phase with correction mavic is able to see.

Edit: excuse my retarded autocorrect.  

2017-12-17
Use props
Eagle_Eye
First Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

At least, looks like your horizon is perfectly level in any directions.
2017-12-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Jyunte Posted at 2017-12-16 18:54
I flew one battery today, after doing the gimbal calibration. It seemed better... but it was so windy, it was hard to tell!

The setting In Gimbal -> Advanced -> Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow is set to ON. That's the way it was with my previous Mavic.

Ok.
Nice!
For me it gave some unwanted motion, so I turned it off.
2017-12-17
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-12-17 05:01
If it happens again then you might upload the DAT file and I'll take a look. The only time I've ever seen this personally occurred when I took off from concrete that I know had a large amount of rebar, so you may want to see if the behavior is related to magnetic interference prior to takeoff. When it happened to me there was no "magnetic interference" message prior to takeoff, but during flight the Mavic slowly yawed without any stick input just as it does in your video.

I took off from the paved road, same place I always do, and never had any warnings or problems with the original Mavic. I'll try it from the very top of the hill next time... absolutely nothing metal anywhere near there! I flew three batteries today... again, quite windy. I tried with both the "Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow" setting on and off. Not sure I could tell much difference. I think, with it ON it visibly drifted a little more. I must remember to turn it back on, it's currently OFF. I'll continue testing. Hopefully the wind will die down a bit.
2017-12-17
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2017-12-17 07:22
At least, looks like your horizon is perfectly level in any directions.

Hahaha! Now, if only it could fly in a straight line to that wonderfully straight horizon!
2017-12-17
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-12-17 11:48
Ok.
Nice!
For me it gave some unwanted motion, so I turned it off.

Ref: Gimbal -> Advanced -> Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow is set to ON

I'm not convinced either setting is better or worse than the other. I don't remember ever changing it from it's default (ON) in the original Mavic, but I never saw this "uncontrolled rotation" issue with that aircraft.
2017-12-17
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

If it happens again then you might upload the DAT file and I'll take a look. The only time I've ever seen this personally occurred when I took off from concrete that I know had a large amount of rebar, so you may want to see if the behavior is related to magnetic interference prior to takeoff. When it happened to me there was no "magnetic interference" message prior to takeoff, but during flight the Mavic slowly yawed without any stick input just as it does in your video.

Thanks for the offer. I'll do more testing tomorrow and upload a DAT file if it happens again. It would be very interesting to get to the bottom of this.
2017-12-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Jyunte, thanks for keeping us updated. Please let us know the latest progress and the test results, we'll be here for help.
2017-12-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Jyunte Posted at 2017-12-17 18:49
Ref: Gimbal -> Advanced -> Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow is set to ON

I'm not convinced either setting is better or worse than the other. I don't remember ever changing it from it's default (ON) in the original Mavic, but I never saw this "uncontrolled rotation" issue with that aircraft.

I can't confirm it still causes an issue with me.
But I know I had this issue until I turned this setting off.
2017-12-17
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

The flights today show the following:

With Enable Synchronize Gimbal Pan Follow set to ON, the gimbal rotates with no stick commands.

With the setting OFF, the gimbal does not rotate absent stick commands.

The aircraft seems to crab during forward flight regardless of the setting.

I'll fly again tomorrow and upload A DAT file.
2017-12-18
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

The search feature doesn't work properly on the forum... can you tell me how to get the DAT file off? I have DJI Assistant 2 installed on my Windows 10 machine. Thanks.
2017-12-19
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

If it happens again then you might upload the DAT file and I'll take a look. The only time I've ever seen this personally occurred when I took off from concrete that I know had a large amount of rebar, so you may want to see if the behavior is related to magnetic interference prior to takeoff. When it happened to me there was no "magnetic interference" message prior to takeoff, but during flight the Mavic slowly yawed without any stick input just as it does in your video.

Ok.... I think I have the DAT file. It's hard to tell, since the time stamps of the files displayed in Assistant 2 do not exactly match any of my flights.

I uploaded it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/99pt55 ... 9_17-24-29.DAT?dl=0

The flight was at 1613 hours:

I took off.
Ascended.
Rotated to find a distant target.
Adjusted yaw (as it kept drifting right).
Flew straight ahead, using only the right stick (pushed forward).

You can see the gimbal rotating once it's pointing towards the white bulding near the horizon.
The flight should not have come close to the road, but the aircraft crossed to the far side of the road on its way to the target.
Here's the video from this flight (I added a vertical line down the middle of the screen, which should show the intended flight path):
2017-12-19
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Australia

Jyunte Posted at 2017-12-19 17:28
Ok.... I think I have the DAT file. It's hard to tell, since the time stamps of the files displayed in Assistant 2 do not exactly match any of my flights.

I can't actually see a problem in that video. I think you are concentrating on the building but if you look at the very far horizon and the white line is on it as you are flying toward it, the white line does not move off the same spot on the horizon. This is easy to see in the latter part of your video.
2017-12-19
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-12-19 22:16
I can't actually see a problem in that video. I think you are concentrating on the building but if you look at the very far horizon and the white line is on it as you are flying toward it, the white line does not move off the same spot on the horizon. This is easy to see in the latter part of your video.

Actually, it's very pronounced, especially where it crosses the road (the entire flight should never even touch the left curb of the road, let alone cross the far right curb). But also, the target building is moving from center frame towards the right at the very beginning, which caused me to have to re-center the frame. If you enlarge the video in your browser, you can see the white line, where it touches the horizon, moves to the right throughout the flight, getting ever closer to the palm tree to the right. Finally, as I approach the building, the aircraft is crabbing to the right, so it's no longer centered on the building, but "sliding off the right end" of the building. I have video where I align  the curb of a straight road with a frame guide, and fly straight... by the time I've flown maybe 30 Seconds, I've crossed the right curb. Don't forget, if I'm flying straight, the aircraft should fly along the white line that I superimposed on the image, so, look at all the objects under the line at the beginning of the flight...does the Mavic fly over them on its way to the target? In this case, no, it absolutely does not.
2017-12-20
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2017-12-19 17:28

I looked at the DAT file and it does appear to be yawing to correct the difference between the magYaw (the direction the compass says it's facing) and yaw (what direction it expects to be facing). However, my guess that it might be related to your takeoff location doesn't appear correct, as the deviation between the two appears and disappears sporadically during the flight. By any chance did you have some sort of accessory (e.g., a tracking device) attached during the flight?
2017-12-20
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-12-20 14:58
I looked at the DAT file and it does appear to be yawing to correct the difference between the magYaw (the direction the compass says it's facing) and yaw (what direction it expects to be facing). However, my guess that it might be related to your takeoff location doesn't appear correct, as the deviation between the two appears and disappears sporadically during the flight. By any chance did you have some sort of accessory (e.g., a tracking device) attached during the flight?

Nothing is on the aircraft at all. It's exactly as it came from the factory. I tried swapping out the props for one flight, no difference.
I've flown from that location probably 60 times with the original Mavic Pro. Maybe I'll do another compass and IMU calibration?
2017-12-20
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2017-12-20 22:44
Nothing is on the aircraft at all. It's exactly as it came from the factory. I tried swapping out the props for one flight, no difference.
I've flown from that location probably 60 times with the original Mavic Pro. Maybe I'll do another compass and IMU calibration?

Yes, a compass calibration is probably your best hope. Other than that I wouldn't know what to suggest.
2017-12-21
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-12-21 03:21
Yes, a compass calibration is probably your best hope. Other than that I wouldn't know what to suggest.

Ok... I'll try the recalibration... Then, if that doesn't fix it, I'll open a case with DJI. I don't think I should get a return, as this aircraft has, I think, 6 flights on it.
2017-12-21
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2017-12-21 12:08
Ok... I'll try the recalibration... Then, if that doesn't fix it, I'll open a case with DJI. I don't think I should get a return, as this aircraft has, I think, 6 flights on it.

Please let me know how it turns out. As long as it hasn't been crashed I don't think you'll have a problem getting a (hopefully better) replacement.
2017-12-21
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-12-21 13:38
Please let me know how it turns out. As long as it hasn't been crashed I don't think you'll have a problem getting a (hopefully better) replacement.

No crashes... pristine condition... a little bug juice on one of the props, that's all! LOL
It's so windy out today, that I can't fly it to test after another IMU/Compass calibration.
2017-12-21
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-17 22:46
Hey Jyunte, thanks for keeping us updated. Please let us know the latest progress and the test results, we'll be here for help.

I opened a ticket today as this has not been resolved.
I live close to the DJI facility in Cerritos, so I'm willing to drive there to pick up a NEW replacement, or have DJI ship me a NEW replacement. I won't accept a refurbished unit to replace a defective brand new product that's only 8 days old!
2017-12-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Jyunte Posted at 2017-12-21 19:03
I opened a ticket today as this has not been resolved.
I live close to the DJI facility in Cerritos, so I'm willing to drive there to pick up a NEW replacement, or have DJI ship me a NEW replacement. I won't accept a refurbished unit to replace a defective brand new product that's only 8 days old!

I understand your concern. All the info has been forwarded to our engineers for double check and review. We will keep follow up and update the status for you.
2017-12-21
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-21 19:57
I understand your concern. All the info has been forwarded to our engineers for double check and review. We will keep follow up and update the status for you.

Got an email from Support asking me to fill out a Global Tech form. The form asks for my case number... But the email didn't give me one, and a telephone call to DJI Support says that I do not have a case number! I was told to reply to the email, which I did, but no one has replied to give me the case number, so I'm unable to continue with my exchange.
2017-12-22
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2017-12-22 18:22
Got an email from Support asking me to fill out a Global Tech form. The form asks for my case number... But the email didn't give me one, and a telephone call to DJI Support says that I do not have a case number! I was told to reply to the email, which I did, but no one has replied to give me the case number, so I'm unable to continue with my exchange.

I flew this Mavic Pro for one flight today.

During the flight, the gimbal pointed the camera straight down and would not respond to the RC tilt wheel or the 5 direction button. It pointed down for, I estimate, 7 seconds, then pointed directly forward and was out of focus. It would still not respond to RC controls. Several seconds later, the gimbal returned to normal functionality.

Due to this gimbal malfunction, I missed my only opportunity to get the footage I was trying to capture. I noticed a similar, but much faster) gimbal "reset" during the very first flight of this replacement Mavic Pro.

I will not fly this aircraft again, as it is clearly defective and beginning to fail in more ways than just the compass error. I do not want to risk losing this aircraft.
2017-12-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Jyunte Posted at 2017-12-22 18:22
Got an email from Support asking me to fill out a Global Tech form. The form asks for my case number... But the email didn't give me one, and a telephone call to DJI Support says that I do not have a case number! I was told to reply to the email, which I did, but no one has replied to give me the case number, so I'm unable to continue with my exchange.

Could you tell us your ticket number or the email address when you contacted our support? I'd like to help.
2017-12-24
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-24 03:21
Could you tell us your ticket number or the email address when you contacted our support? I'd like to help.

I sent you a PM with the information. Thanks.
2017-12-24
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-24 03:21

I now have a case number from "Hanna T" at Support.

DJI Susan, please confirm that I will receive a NEW aircraft, not a refurbished aircraft. This Mavic Pro has been defective since day one, ten days ago (I started this thread the day I received it via FedEx). I don't see why I should receive a second-hand, "possibly fixed" aircraft when I haven't even had a single problem free day with this brand new aircraft.
2017-12-24
Use props
12345Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules