DJI Go4 App Flipping FPV Upside Down
2658 12 2017-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JustAskJask
lvl.2
Flight distance : 624485 ft
United States

Anyone seen this before?  It is cold when I'm flying and it happens but I see many posts of people flying in cold weather and I don't see any posts on this.  Not the best photo of it but the image window is about half size and the video feed is upside down.  Phantom 4 using iPad Mini.
upside down fpv web.jpg
2017-12-15
Use props
3exSXNknDvAu
lvl.3
Flight distance : 481939 ft
United States

nice screenshot lol  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200289    Which Mini? I can;t install Go on my 1st gen Mini

FWIW, i went up in snow recently and it said high wind, but it wasn't really high velocity, maybe 6mph.  It may be due to moving the aircraft from one environement (home) to another very different environment (outside) and not allowing the instrumentation (berometer) to adjust.
no idea on the upside down, but i saw another post somewhere with the same.

2017-12-15
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Did you try a restart of your device, maybe a device or app glitch, I know of some non recommended Samsung devices doing this.
Is your device a iPad mini 4?, what iOS FW and app FW is installed on your device?
2017-12-15
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

3exSXNknDvAu Posted at 2017-12-15 06:56
nice screenshot lol  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200289    Which Mini? I can;t install Go on my 1st gen Mini

FWIW, i went up in snow recently and it said high wind, but it wasn't really high velocity, maybe 6mph.  It may be due to moving the aircraft from one environement (home) to another very different environment (outside) and not allowing the instrumentation (berometer) to adjust.

Aloha 3exSXN,

Kind of sad, but the older tablets and phones are no longer able to run DJI GO 4.  Even my Android Galaxy TabPro is having a problem with DJI GO 4, so I uninstalled it (Litchi does not work on it either).  Because the DJI GO 4 app is so processor intensive, it takes a much newer tablet to run the program.  

Oddly enough, the operating system on the device needs to be newer to, not just the hardware.  Getting devices to work right is not easy.  You have to really stay on top of it.  Every new update and upgrade challenges our devices a little more each time.  Boom, then we got to get a new one.  Fortunately for Android, there are many affordable tablets in the $200-$400 range that work real well.  But they stopped selling the best one, the NVidia Shield K1 ($200).  Now it is the basis for the new Nintendo X1 gaming consol.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-12-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, what's the current OS of your iPad Mini and APP version? Does the issue remains if reinstalling the APP? Alternatively, you can switch to another recommended mobile device to verify if applicable.
2017-12-17
Use props
3exSXNknDvAu
lvl.3
Flight distance : 481939 ft
United States

I also read somewhere (this forum or phantompilots) that they wiped an older android phone and re-installed a heavily de-bloated android firmware then Go4 finally worked well.
2017-12-18
Use props
JustAskJask
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for responses everyone.  I was off the grid for a couple days.

@3ex lol, i guess I should've taken a screen shot!  And I get the "high wind velocity" almost every flight.  I used to think it was higher winds aloft but I find that hard to believe.  It actually was a little windy this day.

I try to have all the latest updates/FW's installed consistently.  I keep on top of that pretty well.  It's an iPad mini 4 Software Update 11.2.1.  DJI Go 4 just updated now to 4.1.20 (was at previous for flights with this issue), Phantom 4 and controller are latest as of these flights as I refreshed in DJI Assistant 2 earlier this week.  I have not tried reinstalling the app yet.

This has happened multiple times now.  I have a sneaky suspicion it has to do with cold weather and that it is the iPad, not the drone or RC but I wanted to see if anyone could corroborate those suspicions.  And I know, I know: supposed to be above freezing for drone specs but I feel those are usually quite conservative.  I've read sooo many posts of people flying well below freezing and have seen it done many times with Phantom 3/4/4pro(as well as other professional grade drones) with no issues. If everything stays dry and not too cold, seems to be fine.  

Thanks again for responses!
2017-12-20
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 2017-12-16 01:34
Aloha 3exSXN,

Kind of sad, but the older tablets and phones are no longer able to run DJI GO 4.  Even my Android Galaxy TabPro is having a problem with DJI GO 4, so I uninstalled it (Litchi does not work on it either).  Because the DJI GO 4 app is so processor intensive, it takes a much newer tablet to run the program.  

Hi, after weeks of trying, i finally managed to get the DJI Go app (after 4) working on my Tab 2 it was a colossal waste of 3 weeks mind cause once i managed to get it installed and finally running, the cpu just wasnt up to it, the live view was very pixelated and laggy

But to get it working, i had to jailbreak it, then install Lollipop ( i think it was), it was  very slimmed down version too, then i had to install a minimal version of GApps, all that kept the disk usage to a minimum.

Sadly it just wasnt up to it but hey, least i got the app to work lol
2017-12-20
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 2017-12-20 21:46
Hi, after weeks of trying, i finally managed to get the DJI Go app (after 4) working on my Tab 2 it was a colossal waste of 3 weeks mind cause once i managed to get it installed and finally running, the cpu just wasnt up to it, the live view was very pixelated and laggy

But to get it working, i had to jailbreak it, then install Lollipop ( i think it was), it was  very slimmed down version too, then i had to install a minimal version of GApps, all that kept the disk usage to a minimum.

Aloha Bashy ,

Well, you can always look on the bright side, when you get your next device, you will know how to dedicate it to flying in a very streamlined way.  As an experienced flier with that ability, your suggestions will be invaluable to others on this Forum that have problems with older, less powerful tablets and phones.  That really is a big problem with our systems.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-12-20
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have been thinking about the Epson glasses, they come with their own android device, quad core, 2gb ram and work well so far, but i cant help but think what happens when the app outgrows the device, that would make it an expensive paper weight

2017-12-21
Use props
Chappy71
New

Yes I had it the other day. It is a lot warmer here. It was going find, then I got the same issue as you had. When the mavic pro returned the batery was hotter than usual. I thought that could have been the issue , but apparently not.
2019-10-16
Use props
FLYwithGregg
lvl.1

United States

Was there ever a solution found for this? I have a Phantom 4, and I just got a Mini 4. 1st time using it, the shrinking upside down video, was happening randomly. Had to close the app, to get it back to normal. Then, it would happen again.
2021-3-12
Use props
JustAskJask
lvl.2
United States

FLYwithGregg Posted at 3-12 06:55
Was there ever a solution found for this? I have a Phantom 4, and I just got a Mini 4. 1st time using it, the shrinking upside down video, was happening randomly. Had to close the app, to get it back to normal. Then, it would happen again.

I do not recall a specific fix, I ended up getting a Ph4Pro+ so it had the screen on the controller.  Have been using those ever since.  I use mine to make money and in the end it was sooo well worth it to spend the extra and avoid those issues all together.

When I do pull an older Ph4 out I just use my phone (Samsungs over the years) and I don't recall ever having that specific issue.  But I only do that maybe once a year or so...
2021-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules