App kills iPhone 6+ battery
1682 14 2017-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
REZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68885 ft
United States

Greetings. New to this. Took delivery of a Mavic Pro just 24hrs ago. Got it registered with the FAA and flew in back yard today. Received numerous notifications that firmware and app needed updating, which killed iPhone battery in a matter of minutes. Charged phone up to 94% only to see it drop to 54% within 5min of dealing with more firmware downloads demands. Anyone else? Iphone was operating pretty well, in spite of ios battery hungry issues before the DJI software issues. Latest version of the app seems to crash every few minutes while I am sifting through menus for camera settings, and so on.
2017-12-15
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Advice? Get an android device? Lol just poking fun but I will add that my S8 plus does not do any of that in fact it barely drains at all
2017-12-15
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have an old school iPhone 6.  No ram, no issues, no battery drain.  
2017-12-15
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

You are far better off downloading the DJI Assistant 2 software to a PC and doing the RC, Mavic and battery firmware updates through the PC.
2017-12-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi REZ, if the mobile device battery is consumed too fast, you can try to update the firmware via DJI Assistant 2. And for the crash of the app, may I know which model is your iPhone and which firmware version is the operating system? If it is convenience, please kindly update your mobile device to iOS 11.2 and then remove the app and install it again. Please note to do a backup like syncing the flight record and saving the pics and videos before your reinstallation. See if it helps.
2017-12-15
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

iPhone 6, latest iOS, latest FW, latest GO4 app. no problems,  Are you up to date with your software. Advice, do NOT get an Android.
2017-12-16
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Definitely suggest going with the DA2 route if the phone doesn't do it. Happened to me as well, used the DA2 and it took care of the issue. Any upgrades after, used my phone 7 plus and it's happened again.
2017-12-17
Use props
REZ
lvl.2
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-12-15 20:27
I have an old school iPhone 6.  No ram, no issues, no battery drain.

Sorry I neglected to mention I am using iPhone 6+ 64G. I will def try the firmware update with the assistant.
2017-12-17
Use props
REZ
lvl.2
United States

Locoman Posted at 2017-12-16 09:03
iPhone 6, latest iOS, latest FW, latest GO4 app. no problems,  Are you up to date with your software. Advice, do NOT get an Android.

iPhone 6+ 64G. Deleting some apps and trying other battery saving tips now.
2017-12-17
Use props
REZ
lvl.2
United States

Got DJI Assistant 2 running with the controller tethered. Got up to 91% and the app has not moved beyond 91% for over 30min. What should I do, now?
2017-12-17
Use props
REZ
lvl.2
United States

Got the firmware to update, after a bit of a delay. Also upgraded to iPhone 8plus, and so CPU and battery performance is greatly improved. On to the next bit, which involves a new thread...
2017-12-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

REZ Posted at 2017-12-21 12:06
Got the firmware to update, after a bit of a delay. Also upgraded to iPhone 8plus, and so CPU and battery performance is greatly improved. On to the next bit, which involves a new thread...

I was going to say upgrade the phone but looks like you've done it already. I get 6 back-to-back flights from my fully charged 7+. You can also get the battery to power bank adaptor from DJI and use it to charge the phone in the field with one of your depleted batteries.  
2017-12-21
Use props
REZ
lvl.2
United States

A CW Posted at 2017-12-21 12:23
I was going to say upgrade the phone but looks like you've done it already. I get 6 back-to-back flights from my fully charged 7+. You can also get the battery to power bank adaptor from DJI and use it to charge the phone in the field with one of your depleted batteries.

I just needed one more excuse to upgrade to a new iPhone, and the drone was it! I see myself buying two more drone batteries in the next month, or so (I just have the one, at the moment), so the adapter might be a good purchase. I do have some solar battery charger gadgets, already. The news feeds have been full of word that Apple purposefully throttles back older iPhones. I think a $75 phone battery replacement might have worked, too, but changing the entire iPhone got me markedly better CPU performance.
2017-12-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

REZ Posted at 2017-12-21 12:38
I just needed one more excuse to upgrade to a new iPhone, and the drone was it! I see myself buying two more drone batteries in the next month, or so (I just have the one, at the moment), so the adapter might be a good purchase. I do have some solar battery charger gadgets, already. The news feeds have been full of word that Apple purposefully throttles back older iPhones. I think a $75 phone battery replacement might have worked, too, but changing the entire iPhone got me markedly better CPU performance.

Good for you - the 8+ will see your through another year or two now!
2017-12-21
Use props
nottuppaware
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

I have both a iPhone X and a 6s+

The app doesn't drain quickly on my X but on my 6s+ it lasts half and hour. I think the age of the battery instead.
2017-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules