Drone on cruise ship.
3273 25 2017-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans42b93cad
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1230 ft
Slovakia

Hi guys! Can i bring my dji mavic pro into cruise ship?
Cruise ship is: Costa Magica. THANK YOU A LOT!!!!
2017-12-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think the only people that can answer that is the organisation that manages the cruise liner or the travel agent where you bought the tickets...
2017-12-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have heard stories here somebody was not allowed, but check the operator!
2017-12-16
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah ^^^ true - I'd heard it wasn't allowed however I would double check with the company and let us know the outcome. Each company may have a different policy.
2017-12-16
Use props
4WDaus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

This thread may assist - https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2479062 appears even though they sell them on board, they confiscate the drone (on boarding) and return it to you when you are off ship (eg day trips).
2017-12-16
Use props
fans369697c9
New

Well, at this rate I guess I'll be finding out August 2018 when I go on P&O to Norway. I just can't find a definitive answer anywhere yet, the general view being if they do confiscate it, they will keep it on the ship and make it available for use off ship in ports of call. They should in truth make this their policy, rather than simply stating they are prohibited. Truth is more and more items taken on board require charging, phones, tablets, lap tops, cameras etc and they all pose a potential fire hazard. Eventually they'll concede, like once they didn't like phones and laptops being used on aircraft
2018-4-21
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

keep in mind that if you take flight during the cruise then your drone will need to keep up with the rate of speed of the ship...
you may just lose the drone in the ocean before the staff even have a chance to take it away. ;)

Either way; Enjoy the cruise!
2018-4-21
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10321657 ft
Canada

4WDaus Posted at 2017-12-16 13:12
This thread may assist - https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2479062 appears even though they sell them on board, they confiscate the drone (on boarding) and return it to you when you are off ship (eg day trips).

oh they would indeed have a very angry customer!!  Taking my drone away! but then would they give it back to you when visiting other ports of entry? And before boarding from a port of call pass it on to a friend who is also on the cruise, I prefer my MP in my own possession, I would refrain from flying it at sea of course but like I said I like it to be where I know it's safe.
2018-4-21
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

Dynamic home point is a must if your take off point t is changing. This would be the case launching from a ship unless of course it's moored or the anchor is down.
2018-4-21
Use props
Virgil Quick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1074104 ft
United States

I am a seasoned cruiser and can assure you the best way to get a definitive answer to your question is to call the cruise line and ask.

2018-4-21
Use props
MavicRich
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579062 ft
United Kingdom

fans369697c9 Posted at 2018-4-21 07:36
Well, at this rate I guess I'll be finding out August 2018 when I go on P&O to Norway. I just can't find a definitive answer anywhere yet, the general view being if they do confiscate it, they will keep it on the ship and make it available for use off ship in ports of call. They should in truth make this their policy, rather than simply stating they are prohibited. Truth is more and more items taken on board require charging, phones, tablets, lap tops, cameras etc and they all pose a potential fire hazard. Eventually they'll concede, like once they didn't like phones and laptops being used on aircraft

I'm doing Norway with P and O in May. I don't know what to do with mine. I heard somewhere that they would confiscate it and not return it, which I find unlikely but it still worries me!
2018-4-21
Use props
SBasso
lvl.3

Malta

I saw a video where the guy couldn't bring the drone back...
I guess the electromagnetic or something like that was pushing the drone away, so he could not land it

Here it is... ;)
2018-4-21
Use props
4WDaus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

SBasso Posted at 2018-4-21 12:55
I saw a video where the guy couldn't bring the drone back...
I guess the electromagnetic or something like that was pushing the drone away, so he could not land it

One does have to wonder if he had a fixed home point with a max range set and possible inacuate home point due to insufficient gps satellites on takeoff?
2018-4-21
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

I'd just pack it away in my luggage like any other camera and bring it out only when I left the ship. Don't try to fly off the ship.
2018-4-21
Use props
Sea Parrot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89154 ft

Landing a DJI MA on a moving vehicle such as a ship is going to be almost impossible. When landing, the drone will be stationary relative to the a geographical location of the earth. As the ship is moving, the ship isn't stationary relative to the earth! Thus the drone will, relative to the ship, go backwards when it is commanded to land. If the ship is doing say 15 knots (typical speed of a cruise ship, although if necessary they can do more than 20 knots but it costs a lot in fuel) then when the drone is command to land, it will apparently go backward at 15 knots!  Oops....

2018-4-22
Use props
Sea Parrot
lvl.3

Regarding P&O (UK) policy regarding drones - they are a big no-no, and will be confiscated. You might get it back; you might not.

That applies to the crew as well - I spoke with a Chief Engineer who would like to use a drone for technical inspection of such things as the funnel, exhaust stacks, lifeboat davits, etc. But even for him, bringing a drone on board or using it is not permitted.
2018-4-22
Use props
MavicRich
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Sea Parrot Posted at 2018-4-22 13:49
Regarding P&O (UK) policy regarding drones - they are a big no-no, and will be confiscated. You might get it back; you might not.

That applies to the crew as well - I spoke with a Chief Engineer who would like to use a drone for technical inspection of such things as the funnel, exhaust stacks, lifeboat davits, etc. But even for him, bringing a drone on board or using it is not permitted.

Thanks for this info. I have zero intention of flying on board, if I were to fly only in ports do you think they would have as big an issue?
2018-4-23
Use props
Sea Parrot
lvl.3

MavicRich Posted at 2018-4-23 10:39
Thanks for this info. I have zero intention of flying on board, if I were to fly only in ports do you think they would have as big an issue?

As of this moment in time yes, they would have as big an issue.
2018-4-23
Use props
MavicRich
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Sea Parrot Posted at 2018-4-23 13:18
As of this moment in time yes, they would have as big an issue.

By ports I meant destinations, rather than right next to the ship in port. Is the issue with bringing it on board full stop then?
2018-4-24
Use props
Sea Parrot
lvl.3

MavicRich Posted at 2018-4-24 23:57
By ports I meant destinations, rather than right next to the ship in port. Is the issue with bringing it on board full stop then?

Yes, the issue is with bringing it on board with P&O.
It's a shame; there are destinations I will be travelling to with P&O that are very drone-friendly.....
2018-4-25
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I heard Cruises allow you to bring drones with you but not to fly around on the deck.
2018-4-25
Use props
MavicRich
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Just found this. Carnival own P&O. Worth a punt?
Screenshot_20180426-155224_Chrome.jpg
2018-4-26
Use props
Sea Parrot
lvl.3

MavicRich Posted at 2018-4-26 06:54
Just found this. Carnival own P&O. Worth a punt?

The various fleets owned by Carnival all have their own rules...

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/not_allowed
2018-4-26
Use props
MavicRich
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Sea Parrot Posted at 2018-4-26 09:16
The various fleets owned by Carnival all have their own rules...

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/not_allowed

Haha as you can tell I'm desperate to find a loop hole!

It's a gamble but I may take it with me and just hope it blends in with the rest of the camera gear!
2018-4-27
Use props
Sea Parrot
lvl.3

MavicRich Posted at 2018-4-27 01:21
Haha as you can tell I'm desperate to find a loop hole!

It's a gamble but I may take it with me and just hope it blends in with the rest of the camera gear!

Best of luck. I have been called to the luggage security office because they spotted a "strange object" in my luggage on the x-ray; it was a small penknife with a small (2") blade which is allowed.

That's the level of scrutiny the luggage goes through. I don't know if every piece of luggage is inspected so closely....
2018-4-27
Use props
MavicRich
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Just an update, my bag was scanned 5 times as I got on the ship at different ports. They either didn't see it, didn't know what it was or didn't care. Either way I took it to Norway and flew a little without it being seized.
2018-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules