Good Gimbal (non-ZenMuse) for my FC40
1684 3 2015-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ctsrconrad
lvl.2

United States

I am looking at replacing the FC40 camera on my backup DJI FC 40 and I was wondering what Gimbal would be recommended for a GoPro 4 that is under 100 (or close to)?

I do not need a ZenMuse as this is a backup quad to my Phantom Vision 2+.

I know there are CNC, Walkera, Tarot Gimbals (and others that I might not know about) that are all around the same price. I was wondering what "cheaper" gimbals that you guys would recommend?

I realize that a 2-Axis one is not as good as a 3rd, but that is fine.

Thanks

2015-4-16
Use props
nig_smith
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Hi Conrad.

I have used both the generic Chinese CNC gimbal and the Walkera G-2D on my Phantom V1 with a GoPro 3B.

The CNC gimbal uses the popular Alex Moss / Martinez control boards and if you are comfortable with using the Aduino sketch utility can be flashed with different firmwares. I found it to be a very stable gimbal. The major drawback of this gimbal is the weight. At best I could achieve flight times of about 5 to 6 minutes on a standard 2200mAh battery. On my example the controlboard failed but was cheaply replaced as they are available from the popular Chinese outlets for as little as $20 or so.

The Walkera G-2D gimbal is much lighter and installation is very straight forward. Tuning the gimbal is basic, using a trimmer tool to adjust two small pots on the underside of the control board to achieve suitable balance and motion correction. I bought mine as an ex-demonstration unit with the iLook camera included which meant I could remove the FPV transmitter from the Phantom and use the Gopro soley on my much larger Hex. Because the gimbal is very light  my flight times on the Phantom, with a standard 2200mAh battery and 9x4.5 props, are just over 10 minutes. The gimbal as standard is tuned for the iLook camera but the weight attatched to the pitch motor can be removed if using a GoPro. Be aware there are two versions of the Walkera gimbal, one that is all plastic construction and the other uses light weight aluminium.

Regards

Nidge
2015-4-17
Use props
ctsrconrad
lvl.2

United States

I am not looking at spending a ton on a Gimbal, but besides the material, is there a difference between the plastic and aluminum? Is the plastic one pretty decent because I am sure it is cheaper.
2015-4-18
Use props
nig_smith
Second Officer

United Kingdom

ctsrconrad@gmai Posted at 2015-4-19 11:13
I am not looking at spending a ton on a Gimbal, but besides the material, is there a difference betw ...

I'm afraid I can't comment on the durability of the plastic version as I haven't had one in the flesh.

Regards

Nidge
2015-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules