Gimbal Motor Overload?? Can someone please help!!
1694 21 2017-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_jTqTvXx
New
Flight distance : 26729 ft
Australia

I purchased my Mavic Pro on the 2nd Dec 2017 and I have this message of 'Gimbal Motor Overload' and the camera is playing funny games...... Can anyone suggest anything I can do?

2017-12-17
Use props
PHL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

Likely needs a service. Happens when the gimbal gets obstructed when trying to self calibrate at startup.
2017-12-17
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

Have you removed the gimbal lock????
2017-12-17
Use props
djiuser_jTqTvXx
New
Australia

PHL Posted at 2017-12-17 03:38
Likely needs a service. Happens when the gimbal gets obstructed when trying to self calibrate at startup.

Thanks, but should it need a service after 2 weeks from purchase?
2017-12-17
Use props
djiuser_jTqTvXx
New
Australia

Simmo1 Posted at 2017-12-17 03:44
Have you removed the gimbal lock????

Thanks, I have removed gimbal lock (plastic lock) which holds the gimbal in place during transit.
2017-12-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Refresh the firmware on assistant 2, calibrate the IMU and gimbal. If still persists you'll need to return it.
2017-12-17
Use props
djiuser_jTqTvXx
New
Australia

A CW Posted at 2017-12-17 04:33
Refresh the firmware on assistant 2, calibrate the IMU and gimbal. If still persists you'll need to return it.

Thanks heaps!!! I will give this ago! Let you know
2017-12-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_jTqTvXx Posted at 2017-12-17 04:41
Thanks heaps!!! I will give this ago! Let you know

Also check that the camera is properly secured inside the gimbal vibration dampners and I'd also suggest not using any ND filters whilst you're calibrating and checking everything over. If you still get the issue having done all of that then your next step is to reset the drone to factory settings on Assistant 2, delete the app and reinstall/calibrate EVERYTHING once more. If that still doesn't fix it then you have a hardware failure with the gimbal on delivery - known as a DOA unit and will be eligible for a brand new replacement from DJI as within 30 days from purchase. Do the updates etc asap and immediately raise a ticket with DJI support to return the drone for replacement IF the issue isn't resolved after doing everything I've suggested above. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
2017-12-17
Use props
geroallue
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30085 ft
Argentina

I have the same issue, its the gimbal flex ribbon cable,
check youtube to change it, it cost 10 us or eBay, if not check warranty , they have to cover
2017-12-17
Use props
PHL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

djiuser_jTqTvXx Posted at 2017-12-17 04:30
Thanks, but should it need a service after 2 weeks from purchase?

No. Unfortunately if the gimbal gets obstructed for any reason during calibration, the cable or motor can burn out. It happened to me when I forgot the clamp once too often, and I know it has happened to other with some ND filters that gets stuck on the gimbal arm.
2017-12-17
Use props
fans2e9aa3da
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7159 ft
United States

It’s normal to have to send it in for gimbal problems. Had to send mine in twice. It arrived with a bad gimbal and 2 months later same issue again.
2017-12-17
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

geroallue Posted at 2017-12-17 11:27
I have the same issue, its the gimbal flex ribbon cable,
check youtube to change it, it cost 10 us or eBay, if not check warranty , they have to cover

You really need to have some serious skills to change that ribbon. Not an easy thing to do.
2017-12-17
Use props
geroallue
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30085 ft
Argentina

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-17 14:43
You really need to have some serious skills to change that ribbon. Not an easy thing to do.

well in my case i do it on my own,
you know my mavic has that issue so i check warranty (i bought in US) and i live in south america Argentina, so they don't cover here, i don't have the chance to bring the mavic to US. so i bought the flex and put Youtube tutorial and with patience i make it, i was very nervous but it took me 2 hours...

know i have fix more than 10 mavics in my country, it took me 30 minutes!
2017-12-17
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

geroallue Posted at 2017-12-17 20:26
well in my case i do it on my own,
you know my mavic has that issue so i check warranty (i bought in US) and i live in south america Argentina, so they don't cover here, i don't have the chance to bring the mavic to US. so i bought the flex and put Youtube tutorial and with patience i make it, i was very nervous but it took me 2 hours...

Wow great work ! You'll be the the perfect repairman for those with issues in your region.
2017-12-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, has the drone been involved in crash or hard landing before? If not, please kindly send it in for fully diagnosis and repair: https://www.dji.com/support
2017-12-24
Use props
axmont
lvl.1
Ecuador

Check for a video tutorial on this issue......start the mavic on irts side with gimbal motor down.....worked for me.
2018-2-8
Use props
axmont
lvl.1
Ecuador

Check for a video tutorial on this issue......start the mavic on irts side with gimbal motor down.....worked for me.
2018-2-8
Use props
Shannon0019
New
Flight distance : 302 ft
United States

I had the same issue. I googled an it said it was the ribbon cable on the gimbal. You can buy a cable for $10 an change it yourself, better spending that then $200 to let DJI fix it
2018-2-13
Use props
djiuser_jTqTvXxS0CMU
New
Australia

I have finally got back in. Sorry for delay in response. I contacted DJI support and they asked me to send into them. I sent it in, took about 2 weeks to get it back and it was fixed. They fixed it with no issues. However they did advise me to get the DJI care. Which I have since. Thanks all for your advice. It has certainly helped and gave me direction. Thanks heaps again.
2018-2-13
Use props
Topshelf Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 408606 ft
  • >>>
United States

My MP would start up, camera moved all over the place, then the camera would go hard right.  Once I removed the filter, restarted the MP again, then calibration was correct with camera pointing in correct forward position.  So as a test, I put the filters back on, trying each one of the four, and about 90% of the time, there was a malfunction in calibration.  Each test was down in a well lite room, on a table, and close enough to the window that if the craft needed GPS, it was able to get.  When tested without the filters, 100% correct calibration.  Just my test on my MP, and I might add, using the just released version on Feb 9th, 2018.  I did not use the DJI assistant to load the new software, but rather installed it from the DJI Go 4 app on my phone.
2018-2-13
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Topshelf Crow Posted at 2018-2-13 12:34
My MP would start up, camera moved all over the place, then the camera would go hard right.  Once I removed the filter, restarted the MP again, then calibration was correct with camera pointing in correct forward position.  So as a test, I put the filters back on, trying each one of the four, and about 90% of the time, there was a malfunction in calibration.  Each test was down in a well lite room, on a table, and close enough to the window that if the craft needed GPS, it was able to get.  When tested without the filters, 100% correct calibration.  Just my test on my MP, and I might add, using the just released version on Feb 9th, 2018.  I did not use the DJI assistant to load the new software, but rather installed it from the DJI Go 4 app on my phone.

Could an option for your malfunctions have been that the ND filter has not been pushed all the way in around the camera lens?

By the way... not all filters are suitable for assembly before boot of the drone.
2018-2-13
Use props
Topshelf Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 408606 ft
  • >>>
United States

FlyDK Posted at 2018-2-13 12:47
Could an option for your malfunctions have been that the ND filter has not been pushed all the way in around the camera lens?

By the way... not all filters are suitable for assembly before boot of the drone.

Actually tried all four of the filters.  When installed, and the camera is going thru the calibration, nothing is obstructing during the motions.  It is at the very last of the camera movement that there is a slight pause, then the camera immediately moves to the left (as you watch from the front).  Using a really good aftermarket brand of filters (just don't want to post the brand).

But I absolutely agree with your statement "not all filters are suitable for assembly before boot of the drone."  That is why I am booting up first, then installing prior to flight.  Thanks!!
2018-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules