Lens fogging?
1494 20 2017-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

I used my Osmo+ to film my graduation yesterday, but upon reviewing my footage, it is HORRIBLY blurry, it looks like I shot it with a 15 year old flip phone!  It had been working fine up until this point, including my test runs on Friday, what the hell happened?

Is it possible that the lens fogged up?  Walking from the car to inside the arena where the commencement was held, it was in the low 20 degrees (Fahrenheit), or about -6.6 degrees Celsius, it couldn’t have been exposed for more than a few minutes before it got inside, but could that have caused fog to form on the lens?

I obviously had to have my brother do the actual filming, but I had it set up for him in advance, the settings I selected were 4K 24 frames per second with manual settings of ISO 200 and frame rate 25 in D Log with “incandescent” white balance, and he swears he did not change anything.   No filters were used, just the clear DJI lens cover that shipped with the Osmo and I had just cleaned that the night before with a lens cloth and lens cleaner spray, it was crystal clear with no smudges, I made sure of it.

Also, I have bee. Having another issue, when shooting in auto mode, where the focus keeps wanting to shift to the upper left corner, especially if I am doing timelapses.  What is causing that?

Is there anyway to salvage my footage?

I am using version 3.1.10 of the Go app and whatever version of the firmware that was current at that time (I have refused all new versions since the introduction of the forced log in and dynamic NFZs).
2017-12-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, sorry to know you are experiencing difficulties.
Please note the operating temperature of Osmo+ is 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C), the lens may be foggy within large temperature difference.
May I know the temperature at that time and is it convenient to upload a short video to Dropbox or Google Driver and post the link here?
For the second issue, could you please try another mobile device with higher APP to see if the problem persists? Thanks for your assistance.

2017-12-19
Use props
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-19 01:57
Hi there, sorry to know you are experiencing difficulties.
Please note the operating temperature of Osmo+ is 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C), the lens may be foggy within large temperature difference.
May I know the temperature at that time and is it convenient to upload a short video to Dropbox or Google Driver and post the link here?

I’ll see if I can get some footage up tomorrow, or I suppose technically tonight (it’s 5:19 AM as I am typing this), but I may need some help doing that as I have not use drop box before.

As for the phone and app, my brother was using his phone during the filming and his had the latest version of the app, and he had the weird corner focus thing going on too.

I just realized as I was typing that though that I never adjusted the settings on his phone, so he would have been using the default settings, which would have been auto mode.  Could the soft focus issue in the new app version be at fault here?

Also, what is the default quality setting?  Please tell me it is 4K, and not something stupid like 720.  
2017-12-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

9245 Posted at 2017-12-19 02:27
I’ll see if I can get some footage up tomorrow, or I suppose technically tonight (it’s 5:19 AM as I am typing this), but I may need some help doing that as I have not use drop box before.

As for the phone and app, my brother was using his phone during the filming and his had the latest version of the app, and he had the weird corner focus thing going on too.

Hi there, the default resolution of Osmo+ is 4K, 30fps.
The short original video is very essential for analysis, we would appreciate if you could provide.
Except the blurry footage at your graduation, how about other footage after that?
2017-12-20
Use props
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-20 01:07
Hi there, the default resolution of Osmo+ is 4K, 30fps.
The short original video is very essential for analysis, we would appreciate if you could provide.
Except the blurry footage at your graduation, how about other footage after that?

Sorry for the delay.  Drop box wanted me to pay and Google Drive took this long to upload one file too, no, I'm not kidding, between the incredible slowness and constantly crashing the upload and having to restart, it took this long.

Anyway, assuming I did it right, here is a link to a short clip, exactly as it came off the camera:

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... mSLjshPenOFEWe_NPF7
2017-12-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

9245 Posted at 2017-12-24 09:36
Sorry for the delay.  Drop box wanted me to pay and Google Drive took this long to upload one file too, no, I'm not kidding, between the incredible slowness and constantly crashing the upload and having to restart, it took this long.

Anyway, assuming I did it right, here is a link to a short clip, exactly as it came off the camera:

Thanks for your time to provide the footage for analysis, I checked the video, it is blurry and not sharp at all.
Do you recall what WEB and Style you set? It seems you didn't select the proper WEB and Style.
May I know if the same issue happens again or just once in your graduation?

2017-12-25
Use props
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-25 23:49
Thanks for your time to provide the footage for analysis, I checked the video, it is blurry and not sharp at all.
Do you recall what WEB and Style you set? It seems you didn't select the proper WEB and Style.
May I know if the same issue happens again or just once in your graduation?

I’m not entirely sure what your asking.  It was shot in the default setting of the Osmo+, if that’s what you mean.  My brother was filming (for obvious reasons), he had a fresh install of the Go app and just filmed using the default video settings in the app.  I had meant to set it up for him but in the chaos I forgot, so everything was exactly at the default settings, as it comes with the Go app.

The rest of my footage looks good, but I havn’t Had a chance to take a really good look at it yet, I can try uploading a section of that if you like, but it will likely take some time with my connection.
2017-12-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

9245 Posted at 2017-12-26 15:15
I’m not entirely sure what your asking.  It was shot in the default setting of the Osmo+, if that’s what you mean.  My brother was filming (for obvious reasons), he had a fresh install of the Go app and just filmed using the default video settings in the app.  I had meant to set it up for him but in the chaos I forgot, so everything was exactly at the default settings, as it comes with the Go app.

The rest of my footage looks good, but I havn’t Had a chance to take a really good look at it yet, I can try uploading a section of that if you like, but it will likely take some time with my connection.

Thanks for the details.
But the video is much like you set other Style in Camera Settings, we would like to analyze if the problem persists, but we are unable to recover the previous footage to the normal quality, we do apologize for the inconvenience caused.
If the problem persists, please keep us updated.
2017-12-28
Use props
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-28 23:35
Thanks for the details.
But the video is much like you set other Style in Camera Settings, we would like to analyze if the problem persists, but we are unable to recover the previous footage to the normal quality, we do apologize for the inconvenience caused.
If the problem persists, please keep us updated.

No, no style was changed, it was exactly at the default.

All other footage, as near as I can tell anyway, which was recorded when it was connected to my phone, appears to have shot correctly.

Could the problem possibly be due to using the latest version of the app (on my Brother’s phone) with an older version of firmware on my Osmo?  (My phone has an older version of the app)
2017-12-29
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Mindy, are you there?
2018-1-2
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Mindy, any ideas on my last question?
2018-1-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

9245 Posted at 2017-12-29 15:52
No, no style was changed, it was exactly at the default.

All other footage, as near as I can tell anyway, which was recorded when it was connected to my phone, appears to have shot correctly.

I'm so sorry that I didn't see your post in time.
I don't think so, maybe the settings was changed by coincidence? It would be better to check the settings before shooting when you change the mobile device.
2018-1-9
Use props
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-9 06:00
I'm so sorry that I didn't see your post in time.
I don't think so, maybe the settings was changed by coincidence? It would be better to check the settings before shooting when you change the mobile device.

No, he didn’t change anything, I specificly told him not to, and it has worked fine since then on my phone, the only thing I can think of is the mismatch between the app version on his phone and the Osmo, that or physical fogging, though considering that the entire hour+ video is like that, and that it took about 45 minutes or so to start, after we had already been in the building, I don’t think that is likely.
2018-1-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

9245 Posted at 2018-1-9 11:32
No, he didn’t change anything, I specificly told him not to, and it has works fine since then on my phone, the only thing I can think of is the mismatch between the app version on his phone and the Osmo, that or physical fogging, though considering that the entire hour+ video is like that, and that it took about 45 minutes or so to start, after we had already been in the building, I don’t think that is likely.

OK, I will forward the video to our engineers again to see if there is other different thought, I will keep you updated soon, please kindly wait, thank you.
2018-1-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

9245 Posted at 2018-1-9 11:32
No, he didn’t change anything, I specificly told him not to, and it has worked fine since then on my phone, the only thing I can think of is the mismatch between the app version on his phone and the Osmo, that or physical fogging, though considering that the entire hour+ video is like that, and that it took about 45 minutes or so to start, after we had already been in the building, I don’t think that is likely.

Sir, appreciate your patience, there are several points our engineers would like to confirm with you.
1. How far was it from you to your mentor in the stage when you took the video?
2. Did you zoom in during shooting? If yes, how much did you zoom in?Did you use digital zoom?
Appreciate your clarification.
2018-1-16
Use props
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-16 00:21
Sir, appreciate your patience, there are several points our engineers would like to confirm with you.
1. How far was it from you to your mentor in the stage when you took the video?
2. Did you zoom in during shooting? If yes, how much did you zoom in?Did you use digital zoom?

Thankyou for getting back to me.

I did not measure the distance, but it was not far, perhaps 100 feet from the camera to the stage, if that much.  Were I to roughly diagram the room for you; imagine a standard small university basketball court, the hoops were folded up, against the ceiling, and the microphone on the stage was roughly right under the hoop.  Draw a line straight out from the microphone to the bleachers, the camera was placed roughly 3/4 of the way up.  You should be able to see the height of the bleachers in the video, it was the same height as the ones on the oposite side of the room, facing the camera.

Yes, optical zoom was used, I instructed him to zoom in all the way when aimed at the speaker on stage, or at me, but to use optical zoom only, not digital, he was expressly told not to do that, and I showed him the difference, just to make sure he did not do it by mistake.  Also, at the distance he was shooting, had he used anything but optical zoom he would have been zoomed in so far as to count the hairs on my head, which he clearly was not.
2018-1-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

9245 Posted at 2018-1-16 23:40
Thankyou for getting back to me.

I did not measure the distance, but it was not far, perhaps 100 feet from the camera to the stage, if that much.  Were I to roughly diagram the room for you; imagine a standard small university basketball court, the hoops were folded up, against the ceiling, and the microphone on the stage was roughly right under the hoop.  Draw a line straight out from the microphone to the bleachers, the camera was placed roughly 3/4 of the way up.  You should be able to see the height of the bleachers in the video, it was the same height as the ones on the oposite side of the room, facing the camera.

Got it, I will forward to our engineers, will come back to you soon.
2018-1-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Sir, I just got the feedback from our engineers, we still recommend to update the firmware to the latest version and then calibrate the lens just in case the issue happens again.
2018-1-28
Use props
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-28 22:33
Sir, I just got the feedback from our engineers, we still recommend to update the firmware to the latest version and then calibrate the lens just in case the issue happens again.

Did they have any idea what exactly caused this?

Was it due to the mismatch between my Brother’s Go app version and the (much older) firmware I had on the Osmo+?  Was it that the Go app was attempting to use the new focus feature of the newer firmware, but (obviously) failing?

Has the issue people have been having with the new firmware been resolved yet?
2018-1-29
Use props
charlesetischer
lvl.2

Hong Kong

Sorry for keeping you confused. The blurry video could be cause by many factors, for example dirty or defective lens, out of focus, or in-camera image processing. It is possible that the indoor recording automatically resulted in a high ISO setting causing the image to be blurry in order to mitigate the noise. However it is hard to give a conclusion solely from this video. Before sending back to us for investigation, there are some items you could check: 1. Prepare for video shooting under a bright scene, with objects at different distances that can help you check focus and sharpness. This can be a sunny day. 2. Manually select ISO100 and set shutter speed for normal brightness on the picture. 3. Start recording 4K video and slowly move the focus from far to near and check if the focus system is correctly calibrated. The image should not appear to be focused at nearer objects if you choose infinity focus. 4. Take a pair of JPEG+DNG photos and check the sharpness of DNG. We can analyze the data if you would like to carry out these tests; if you prefer to send it back we will take care of your OSMO+ and do these check-ups.
2018-2-6
Use props
lvl.4
United States

charlesetischer Posted at 2018-2-6 02:53
Sorry for keeping you confused. The blurry video could be cause by many factors, for example dirty or defective lens, out of focus, or in-camera image processing. It is possible that the indoor recording automatically resulted in a high ISO setting causing the image to be blurry in order to mitigate the noise. However it is hard to give a conclusion solely from this video. Before sending back to us for investigation, there are some items you could check: 1. Prepare for video shooting under a bright scene, with objects at different distances that can help you check focus and sharpness. This can be a sunny day. 2. Manually select ISO100 and set shutter speed for normal brightness on the picture. 3. Start recording 4K video and slowly move the focus from far to near and check if the focus system is correctly calibrated. The image should not appear to be focused at nearer objects if you choose infinity focus. 4. Take a pair of JPEG+DNG photos and check the sharpness of DNG. We can analyze the data if you would like to carry out these tests; if you prefer to send it back we will take care of your OSMO+ and do these check-ups.

When this was filmed, it was on manual, so there is no chance that it was a drifting ISO.

As far as the testing goes.  If I am using manual settings, how am I supposed to focus on anything in particular?  If I try to tap on something to focus on it, all it says is “metering disables in M mode.”
2018-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules