Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New longest distance flight - 7100ft/ 2.24KM
1423 14 2017-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TexasAerials
First Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

We were waiting for someone to come meet us at the offroad park, and I thought it would be fun to get some footage of them driving in.  We knew they were at the entrance so I flew out along the road to see if I could catch them coming in.  I wasn't thinking about how far out I was getting until the signal started dropping at around 6800ft, so I grabbed the signal reflectors and put them on the remote, which cleared up the feed and allowed me to go out a bit further to 7100ft.  Our friend was a bit further behind unfortunately, so I didn't get any chase footage on the way back.  So the total is 7101, or 1.34 miles, or 2.24 KM.  Whats the furthest everyone has taken their spark?  

Photo Dec 18, 10 32 39 AM (3).png

2017-12-18
Use props
lomo2017
Second Officer

United States

Impressive. How nervous were you?
2017-12-18
Use props
mtnlandpix
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Just curious, if you are in the USA, how did you keep your drone within VLOS at that distance?
2017-12-18
Use props
TexasAerials
First Officer
United States

mtnlandpix Posted at 2017-12-18 11:20
Just curious, if you are in the USA, how did you keep your drone within VLOS at that distance?

Those rules are not hard and fast if you are in a rural, sparsely populated area where people are not out at risk. There were also no obstacles between me and the spark so if I had lost signal it would have been able to RTH without issue. Trees in the area are only about 50ft high so I could still see where the spark was flying from my position at the time.
2017-12-18
Use props
TexasAerials
First Officer
United States

lomo2017 Posted at 2017-12-18 09:59
Impressive. How nervous were you?

I wasn't that nervous because the entire flight didn't leave the property so if I had to put it down somewhere, it would be easy to recover.  
2017-12-18
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Well done. Really a far distance and I believe that you enjoyed your flight.
2017-12-18
Use props
Chirpz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20256 ft
United States

What are signal reflectors.
2017-12-18
Use props
TexasAerials
First Officer
United States

Chirpz Posted at 2017-12-18 22:30
What are signal reflectors.

2017-12-19
Use props
Todd in Chicago
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513757 ft
United States

TexasAerials....

In a momentary break from the rules for a distance test (mostly dangerous to my own Spark as 75% of my flight was over water), and also in a very controlled area, I went 7,705 with the range extenders on.  When you deliberately break the rules and good common sense, you must be willing to accept the consequences.  I normally follow all the rules including tower notifications, but occasionally fly past VLOS.  As a UAV pilot, I make decisions when to fly in iffy conditions, such as wind, interference, over water, etc and accept those consequences as well.  If something goes wrong, and eventually something will, by following the rules and flying in AAA conditions and environments, you can minimize misfortunes as much as possible.

In your flight here for example, although you flew outside of VLOS, if there was any place to do such a thing, this looks like a good place for that!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
2017-12-19
Use props
Rayan911
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58330 ft
New Zealand

oh my my..... lucky you
2017-12-19
Use props
Aaron R. Gilbert
New

United States

My max distance was 15,642ft which is 2.778 miles. I flew out off of the sea wall in Galveston, TX. I flew straight out over the water, had a wired connection, parabolic reflector on the antennas, a DJI Spark, and had a blast. I’m going for further today!
2019-2-22
Use props
Lysak2003
Captain
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Aaron R. Gilbert Posted at 2-22 08:56
My max distance was 15,642ft which is 2.778 miles. I flew out off of the sea wall in Galveston, TX. I flew straight out over the water, had a wired connection, parabolic reflector on the antennas, a DJI Spark, and had a blast. I’m going for further today!

Great Lord! You are a brave person!
2019-2-22
Use props
Aaron R. Gilbert
New

United States

Lysak2003 Posted at 2-22 09:30
I really think I can do better. When I did this, my battery was full but hadn’t been charged in a week so it was only kinda full. That’s the only reason I returned home.  On the way back it gave me a low battery warning and started to auto land over the water about a mile out.  That got the old blood pumping! I canceled the landing and made it home no problem.  I did attempt a retry today but a very dense fog bank rolled in when I got there and that messes with the drones bottom proximity sensor and gets it all wet.  This is a screenshot of the first flight distance.
2019-2-22
Use props
Aaron R. Gilbert
New

United States

Lysak2003 Posted at 2-22 09:30

CORRECTION: My farthest flight was 7,695ft.  I quoted the total distance by mistake. I still hope to beat it.
2019-2-22
Use props
Lysak2003
Captain
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Aaron R. Gilbert Posted at 2-22 13:35
I really think I can do better. When I did this, my battery was full but hadn’t been charged in a week so it was only kinda full. That’s the only reason I returned home.  On the way back it gave me a low battery warning and started to auto land over the water about a mile out.  That got the old blood pumping! I canceled the landing and made it home no problem.  I did attempt a retry today but a very dense fog bank rolled in when I got there and that messes with the drones bottom proximity sensor and gets it all wet.  This is a screenshot of the first flight distance.

Yes, I had some issuies flying in fog too
https://forum.dji.com/thread-179951-1-1.html
My maximum distance now is 2020 metres (about 6000ft) but it wasn’t limit, I just didn’t need fly so far off yet. Maybe in April, when I will vizit mountain area, try to fly high and a longer way.
Keep us informed about your success.
2019-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules