Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Gimbal freaking out on NEW drone which arrived today
2292 20 2017-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aeneas R
lvl.1
Germany

I recieved my new Mavic Pro today, after booting it up for the second time I had this insane gimbal flipping, very similar to the one from this video

I immediately turned of the Mavic in fear of something breaking. Then I restarted it and the problem disappeared. After upgrading it to the newest software I noticed that after start up the camera was not horizontally aligned. This was fixed using the gimbal recalibration.

What I am noticing is that, on start up, there is a loud noise (like something metallic being hit) when the camera faces backwards and the gimbal is shaking. I recorded it but due to the interference of the sonic sensors it's not that good to hear. The event occurs at exactly 00:06 in the video. Is this normal?

The gimbal freaked out a second time later on. Shutting down the drone and restarting it solved it again (I had to recalibrate the gimbal once more).

2017-12-18
Use props
Aeneas R
lvl.1
Germany

Seems like I am not the only one, here is a video with much better sound quality, you can hear the metallic slap noise at 00:07

Again, is this normal on a brand new Mavic? Seems like something is broken.

2017-12-18
Use props
djiuser_TaPbnCK
New
United States

I had the same problem after 5 flights...and NO crashes. Mine was a ribbon cable, but since it was so new I sent it in for repair. Big MISTAKE they said I needed to replace two cosmetic pieces of plastic because they had "marks" on them. When I asked how this would fix the gimball, I was told that if after replacing the plastic the Gimball did not work, tgey would then fix it. So I have to pay them 160 bucks for plastic, so I can actually get my warranty work done. Seems a little sketchy to me...bad customer service DJI. You tube has a ton of links to show how to fix it.
2017-12-18
Use props
Aeneas R
lvl.1
Germany

Was your issue fixed after they replaced it? Did the slap still occur?
2017-12-18
Use props
Aeneas R
lvl.1
Germany

I did a slow motion video of it and tried to remove the annoying sonar sound, I think it's now easier to spot what's going on

2017-12-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Aeneas R Posted at 2017-12-18 15:02
I did a slow motion video of it and tried to remove the annoying sonar sound, I think it's now easier to spot what's going on

https://youtu.be/IMeBmbOHg5g

Hi Aeneas, have you ever got any gimbal error messages on the APP? If yes, please provide me with a screenshot, thank you in advance. Besides, I've forwarded the videos to the engineers for a check, will keep you updated.
2017-12-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

djiuser_TaPbnCK Posted at 2017-12-18 14:20
I had the same problem after 5 flights...and NO crashes. Mine was a ribbon cable, but since it was so new I sent it in for repair. Big MISTAKE they said I needed to replace two cosmetic pieces of plastic because they had "marks" on them. When I asked how this would fix the gimball, I was told that if after replacing the plastic the Gimball did not work, tgey would then fix it. So I have to pay them 160 bucks for plastic, so I can actually get my warranty work done. Seems a little sketchy to me...bad customer service DJI. You tube has a ton of links to show how to fix it.

Hi sir, I am so sorry to read on this, could you please provide me with your case number so I can check what happened?
2017-12-18
Use props
Aeneas R
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-12-18 20:06
Hi Aeneas, have you ever got any gimbal error messages on the APP? If yes, please provide me with a screenshot, thank you in advance. Besides, I've forwarded the videos to the engineers for a check, will keep you updated.

Thank you Diana for your reply. So far I have not seen a warning regarding the gimbal. But I was so scared when the bug happened that I didn't look. When it happens again, I will check the phone for any gimbal error messages.
2017-12-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If the product arrived broken and there is a clear malfunction through no fault of your own the drone should not even be repaired but replaced with a completely brand new unit and totally free of charge.
2017-12-19
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2017-12-19 02:25
If the product arrived broken and there is a clear malfunction through no fault of your own the drone should not even be repaired but replaced with a completely brand new unit and totally free of charge.

Totally agree.
2017-12-19
Use props
Aeneas R
lvl.1
Germany

I have DJI Care Refresh, hope that helps in this situation
2017-12-19
Use props
marklyn59
First Officer
Flight distance : 395072 ft
United States

I had the same issue with my 3 month old drone (gimbal slapping around). No crashes, always had gimbal lock on, etc.  DJI support did a good job of turning it around but the replacement drone they sent me occasionally has other gimbal warning issues now that somehow cause my video recording to turn rapidly off/on.  My problem is that I can't catch the error quick enough to screen shot it and so far DJI is quiet on emails I've sent them.  At first I was very happy with their turn around but now I'm suspicious that I received a refurb drone that was once someone else's problem.   So I hope if you have to send yours in that you get a NEW one back not a refurb.
2017-12-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI care refresh is basically accidental damage insurance cover on the drone i.e replacement after you crashed it.
In this case it is not an accidental damage claim but the return of a product with a day 1 manufacturer defect that was sold unfit for purpose. This should be replaced under the manufacturer warranty and totally free of charge. Don’t forget you have to pay an excess when claiming on care refresh too - that should not apply here.
2017-12-19
Use props
Eagle_Eye
First Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

No question ask.
2017-12-19
Use props
Aeneas R
lvl.1
Germany

Thank you all, I hope Diana can help me with this!
2017-12-19
Use props
marklyn59
First Officer
Flight distance : 395072 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2017-12-19 08:10
DJI care refresh is basically accidental damage insurance cover on the drone i.e replacement after you crashed it.
In this case it is not an accidental damage claim but the return of a product with a day 1 manufacturer defect that was sold unfit for purpose. This should be replaced under the manufacturer warranty and totally free of charge. Don’t forget you have to pay an excess when claiming on care refresh too - that should not apply here.

But in this case is the replacement a refurb (like mine was) or a new drone?
2017-12-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

marklyn59 Posted at 2017-12-19 09:30
But in this case is the replacement a refurb (like mine was) or a new drone?

I think that depends on how long the drone has been in the possession of the owner. I believe if less than 14 days then a full refund is offered, if less >14 days but <30 days a brand new replacement, if 1-12 months then either a repair or replacement if the AC is decimated due to the defect. In most cases I believe a refurb is given if claimed >30 days after receiving the drone &/or if the drone has been activated and used/flown. So if you purchase a brand new drone and it has a broken gimbal out of the box this should be sent back immediately and replaced with a brand new drone. If you've activated it, flown it several times and then the gimbal has errors the likelihood is that you'll get a refurb. If you've crashed it and don't have care refresh then you'll need to prove this was a defect with the drone or you'll have to pay as only defects are covered by the standard warranty. It takes weeks to potentially months to sort out too. This is why I personally only purchase drones in person from authorised DJI resellers who are local to me so if there is anything wrong I will take it straight back and either replace it with another brand new drone in a sealed box or get every penny of my money back on the spot. When you buy online it becomes far more challenging, frustrating and long winded to sort things out should there be any issues with the product and in some cases you never get an amicable resolution.
2017-12-19
Use props
Aeneas R
lvl.1
Germany

Ok so to conclude, neither of the two issues is normal behaviour (the slap noise and the freak out) and I should send it back?
2017-12-19
Use props
Aeneas R
lvl.1
Germany

Ok, this thing is definitely broken, it just happened again. Here are videos and screenshots of the DJI App. I had to restart the app and reconnect the mobile device several times before I was able to connect the app with the drone.

edit:// The warning says: "Unusual gimbal vibrations"
2017-12-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Aeneas R Posted at 2017-12-19 14:04
Ok, this thing is definitely broken, it just happened again. Here are videos and screenshots of the DJI App. I had to restart the app and reconnect the mobile device several times before I was able to connect the app with the drone.

https://youtu.be/vb4INHZoWGk

Aeneas, in this case, I would recommend you send the drone in for diagnosis. Please refer to the link below to contact the DJI support.
https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav
2017-12-21
Use props
fansdc43f344
lvl.1
Flight distance : 84108 ft
Australia

I’m on my 3rd DJI Mavic Pro, 1st flight I got a gimbal error. 2nd replacement got the same error before Mavic could even lift off & 3rd replacement 2nd flight I got the gimbal error... absolutely no physical damage as drone hasn’t flown enough to get damaged. Now I’m going to be get refunded as retailer has no more stock & DJI have discontinued the Mavic Pro... I have bought extra batteries, DC charger & a case since purchasing the Mavic so we have a problem DJI, I’ll have accessories that I can’t use...
2019-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules