P4A lens correction numbers? Need for PSPx9
775 5 2017-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
theTastyCat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1447234 ft
United States

Hey all - I realize I'm in the minority using Paintshop Pro but I've found it to be an extremely capable alternative to Photoshop.  Absolutely LOVING my new P4A - all-around just worlds more incredible than my P3Ps - especially the camera!  I am however surprised how curved my horizons are, and at the natural vignette.  I never felt the need to apply lens correction to my P3P stuff, but I see the need here.  PSPx9 has several built-in profiles, but nothing for DJI; is there something I can download or add?  Also, it gives me the option to do it manually with the following fields:  1st order (c):, 2nd order (b):, 3rd order (a):, and focal length.  There's also a manual vignette correction; it requires a percentage strength as well as a radius.

DJI, I really want to get the most out of this fantastic camera; can you help me get lens correction sorted out?

Many thanks!
2017-12-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Are you seeing curved horizons in jpg files or just raw images?
2017-12-18
Use props
theTastyCat
lvl.2
United States

Wow, now I'm confused - I went back to look and now the horizons are straight.....all of them.  JPG and RAW.  Perhaps I did something weird to just that one photo!  Let me keep playing with it.  I am seeing pretty flat horizons now that I'm looking specifically for that; does the P4A/P have a relatively distortion-free lens in the absence of some weird operator/software error?
2017-12-19
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

theTastyCat Posted at 2017-12-19 07:46
Wow, now I'm confused - I went back to look and now the horizons are straight.....all of them.  JPG and RAW.  Perhaps I did something weird to just that one photo!  Let me keep playing with it.  I am seeing pretty flat horizons now that I'm looking specifically for that; does the P4A/P have a relatively distortion-free lens in the absence of some weird operator/software error?

"does the P4A/P have a relatively distortion-free lens"
You can check out this thread with lot of nice information.
2017-12-22
Use props
theTastyCat
lvl.2
United States

KedDK Posted at 2017-12-22 00:08
"does the P4A/P have a relatively distortion-free lens"
You can check out this thread with lot of nice information.

Thanks Ked!  Extremely informative link.  So basically - yes, there is a great deal of barrel distortion and vignetting, as I saw in the one example, but basically the camera applies a lens correction itself?  Which is why when I went back to look for it I couldn't find it - it had been corrected?  Something like only when opening RAW can you see the uncorrected image.  Really fine with me - because the corrected shots looks pretty great.  Gotta play with it some more and figure out what's what!
2017-12-22
Use props
theTastyCat
lvl.2
United States

Hey all - so in fact all the JPGs are automatically corrected, but the RAWs (which I always use) are not.  I am able to get them looking decent by using a value of "100" on "barrel distortion correction," but it's still not quite straight.  Might someone be able to explain why the JPGs are corrected but not the RAWs?  And even more importantly, how to apply correction to the RAWs?  Again, I'm using Paintshop Pro x9; surely there must be a way!

Other than this minor issue the P4A continues to absolutely excel in every way.  Took this photo of a local college during a recent snow and they're thrilled with it!

Thanks again!
2018-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules