Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Ocusync Air System Unbox
23511 35 2017-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mad_Angler1
Captain
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The New Ocusync Air System for DJI Goggles Race Edition

This is a standalone Ocusync system from DJI, it allows you to fit DJI’s digital wireless video and control system to pretty much any thing you like,  Car, Plane or Multirotor this is a complete digital transmission system will transmit low latency video and control signal unto 7km and is specifically designed to be used with the DJI Goggles Race Edition.

Ocusync its able to transmit both control link and video over the same digital link, you simply connect your supported 3rd party radio directly to the goggles via the trainer port and the air end to your flight controller via PPM or SBUS and your ready to go, this avoids any interference caused by either system on the same frequency to give you a stable control and video link over great distance.

The system is also able to record your flight video directly on the Air End Module and/or onto the DJI Goggles for playback later.

The Air System

The Set consists of an Ocusync Air Unit, A Digital FPV Camera and Antenna Set.

OcuSync Video Transmission Module

The Spec

The OcuSync Video Transmission Module offers 2.4 and 5.8 GHz dual-band digital video transmission
Latency as low as 50 ms
Maximum control range of up to 7 km.
Up to 1280×960 HD transmission
Automatic Frequency-Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) transmission
12 Selectable Digital Video Channels
SBUS & PPM Control Outputs
MultiWii - MSP Compatible Telemetry
3S-4S Input

Looking Over the Unit  Externally

Duel MMCX Antenna Connections on one side

Micro SD Card Slot for Recording onboard the Air Unit

Camera Input via a custom USB C port and Main Harness input for SBUS, UART and Power, the system supports connection to most common flight controllers such as most F3 or F4 based controllers, KISS or NAZE ext, basically any Sbus or PPM compatible controller, telemetry support is currently for MSP.

PPM Output and Micro USB for Updating Firmware

Size

Its size is 72 × 33 × 14 mm, W 43.7g, comparing its size to a standard 9g servo

Camera Module

The DJI OcuSync Camera has a 1/3'' CMOS Sensor with an effective 1.2M pixels, 2.65 mm, f2.0 lens giving a 148 degree FOV, it offers much higher resolution video transmission than most analog FPV on the market. It also uses a global shutter significantly reducing rolling shutter effect caused by high-frequency vibration.

It has 3 mounting post embedded in each side for fitment to the included bracket

Connection

It has a custom USB C Connection that is keyed

Compared To Runcam

Its size is 29.4 × 28.2 × 22.6 mm and weights 18.2g, its a little smaller than a Runcam Swift when compared together

Included cables and antennas adapters

RC Control cables for attaching you existing radio to the Goggles to send control over the Ocusync system.

DJI Support the following radio systems for connection via the trainer port

X9D (Frsky),DEVO 10 (Walkera), T8FG (Futaba),T14SG (Futaba), WTF09sll (WFLY), AT9S (RadioLink) via trainer port

Antennas

Included in the kit are a number of Antennas so you can choose the ones that best suit your needs

Pagoda

There are two Pagoda 2.4Ghz antennas, one RPSMA and one MMCX Connectors that are recommended for racing

The MMCX Connector

Duel frequency cylindrical circular polarization omnidirectional antennas

These are for both 2.4 and 5.8Ghz use

These are covered in a flexible rubber cover for protection

Dipole antennas

For close up flight in both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz DJI have included this traditional omni sticks

The Complete Air End Kit

Overall I think  this is a very nice package to go along side the new Goggles RE,the Ocusync system is a real step forward giving us access to DJI’s wireless system in a small package for the first time.

The Complete DJI Goggles RE Kit costs  $859/£899 and includes a carry case

The New Goggles RE are also available on their own too and both are available from the DJI store

Over the coming weeks I will be testing this on multiple flight system such as the F3 and F4 based systems in both Quad and fixed wing, I will be updating this post as time goes one with more info and details on connections and setup ect on as many controllers as I can

Thank You.

2017-12-19
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice review with good photos.  Thanks for posting.
2017-12-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Thank you for sharing the review here, I believe it would be very helpful for many users.
2017-12-20
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Some wording info for the Air System
8446A2D0-5930-442A-A18D-03353CA0D3A5.jpeg
2017-12-23
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Some updates on this

2 Very long reviews and an update Video

Dji Goggles RE Unbox and walk through

Goggles RE Info update

DJI Ocusync Air-system Unbox, Setup and Walkthrough.

Goggles and Air System Latency

Ok I have done some tests and I can say that on the bench the latency on the Ocusync system is what DJI are stating and it’s extremely impressive.

I have tested it in multiple ways and it showing the below

These are taken in 480P

Phone 03.80
Goggles 03.75
50ms

Phone 04.60
Goggles 04.55
50ms

Phone 05.05
Goggles 05.00

Analog Latency

Analog latency test vs Headplay HD, IMO DJI Goggles is a shade less

Below are two frames that proceed each other, you can see that the both display at the same point, but the Dji Google’s look to be ahead a very little so less lag but this is very small, also see the video for your own decision.

Frame 1 just his start

This is the next frame

The video is below, to confirm this is Analog Speed Test compared to Headplay HD

I have also created some brackets for the Air system.

The first is an QR fracked for the Air unit so you can simply clip it in and out, the second is antenna stand for the MMCX Pagoda antenna when used with the extension cable, and finally the 3rd is an camera bracket that gives it some additional protection over the supplied one.

These are available on Thingiverse here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2739234

2017-12-31
Use props
fanscedcdda1
Second Officer
United States

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2017-12-31 04:07
Some updates on this

Thank you for all the info and concise review! Amazing! I have the new goggles and ordered the Ocusync system with the intent on using it in an rc car. Two questions;

1. How would it get hooked up for power in a car? Can it connect through a receiver like othe accessories? I have an XMaxx for reference.
2. Other than through the goggles, is there another way to view the feed? Through the Dji App perhaps?

Thanks again!
2018-1-1
Use props
Carlos Samanieg
New

Chile

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2017-12-23 18:06

Hi, please I need help to locate the Signal Ground. Thanks

2018-1-3
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Carlos Samanieg Posted at 2018-1-3 10:38
Hi, please I need help to locate the Signal Ground. Thanks

[view_image]

Rc Donal Ground is Brown next to the yellow.
2018-1-3
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fanscedcdda1 Posted at 2018-1-1 14:33
Thank you for all the info and concise review! Amazing! I have the new goggles and ordered the Ocusync system with the intent on using it in an rc car. Two questions;

1. How would it get hooked up for power in a car? Can it connect through a receiver like othe accessories? I have an XMaxx for reference.

The system used 3-4 S so 12 -16.8V it’s gong. To need to be off a battery directly and not through a controller.  

You can also bind the Mavic Pro Remote controler and then use a phone or tablet just like on the Mavic however you do not have RC Controls you simply have live feed via DJI Go.
2018-1-3
Use props
Carlos Samanieg
New

Chile

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2018-1-3 16:49
Rc Donal Ground is Brown next to the yellow.

Thanks, but where do I connect that cable, in my F4S? In your example, you connect to pin J6. But I do not know where to connect it in my F4S.

Thanks
2018-1-3
Use props
Sbrintz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 657136 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I'm sorry for my ignorance!
Is it possible to connect the OcuSync with the CrystalSky and manage it from this device?

Thanks!
2018-1-8
Use props
Elektrica
Captain
Flight distance : 9674836 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Hi, is there an standalone battery you can suggest for powering the system? I cannot seem to find that information anywhere. Thanks!
2018-1-8
Use props
wpfreund
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14767 ft

Italy

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2017-12-31 04:07
Some updates on this

I'd really like to 3D print that white air module clip pictured to take my unit in and out. Could you provide a 3D template/file for that so I can print my own? Thanks.
2018-1-15
Use props
Maxheadspace
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the review and connection details, pinouts, etc.  When I look on DJI.com, I do not see the complete Ocusync package, all I see are the individual components.  I tried the search feature, but no luck.  So, other than purchasing the complete Ocusync package as a bundle with the Goggles RE, where can I purchase the complete Ocusync set?  I already have the Goggles RE for use with my Mavic.

Thanks!

Max
2018-1-15
Use props
ucakar
lvl.1
Slovenia

Maxheadspace Posted at 2018-1-15 18:24
Thanks for the review and connection details, pinouts, etc.  When I look on DJI.com, I do not see the complete Ocusync package, all I see are the individual components.  I tried the search feature, but no luck.  So, other than purchasing the complete Ocusync package as a bundle with the Goggles RE, where can I purchase the complete Ocusync set?  I already have the Goggles RE for use with my Mavic.

Thanks!

Does anybody know if  it is possible to get Eagletreesystems Autopilot Vector telemetry on Occusync HD link?

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/ ... &product_id=148

Thanks,

Andrej
2018-1-16
Use props
ucakar
lvl.1
Slovenia

Thanks for the review and connection details, pinouts, etc.  When I look on DJI.com, I do not see the complete Ocusync package, all I see are the individual components.  I tried the search feature, but no luck.  So, other than purchasing the complete Ocusync package as a bundle with the Goggles RE, where can I purchase the complete Ocusync set?  I already have the Goggles RE for use with my Mavic.

Thanks!

Hi,

You can buy here complete package:

http://www.kopterworx.com/dji-go ... nit-system-set.html

Regards,

Andrej
2018-1-16
Use props
Wilhelm.dutoit
lvl.1
Namibia

Sbrintz Posted at 2018-1-8 14:03
I'm sorry for my ignorance!
Is it possible to connect the OcuSync with the CrystalSky and manage it from this device?

No you cant.
2018-1-17
Use props
Wilhelm.dutoit
lvl.1
Namibia

wpfreund Posted at 2018-1-15 06:41
I'd really like to 3D print that white air module clip pictured to take my unit in and out. Could you provide a 3D template/file for that so I can print my own? Thanks.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2739234
2018-1-17
Use props
Wilhelm.dutoit
lvl.1
Namibia

Thanks!

Hi Max,

DJI dont sell it seperatly. The only place i could find is:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078NL ... 1WXHTHBVR&psc=0

I haven't ordered mine yet though.
2018-1-17
Use props
Carlos Samanieg
New

Chile

Carlos Samanieg Posted at 2018-1-3 18:01
Thanks, but where do I connect that cable, in my F4S? In your example, you connect to pin J6. But I do not know where to connect it in my F4S.

Thanks

Hi, this configuration is working OK.

This is how the pins on the CLRACING F4S fligth controller are connected.

2018-1-18
Use props
djiuser_16u0VMH
lvl.1
United States

Hello, does the head tracking from the goggles get pushed through the sbus channels to the flight controller?
2018-1-18
Use props
Iketh
New

United States

Can I use Hero6 hdmi output instead of included camera?
2018-2-11
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Air System Head-tracking Setup

[size=23.979999542236328px]

2018-3-11
Use props
gtoews
lvl.3
Flight distance : 282159 ft
Canada

Any one know if I can use the Devo7e transmitter?  I know the Devo10 is listed, there shouldn't be any difference other than telemetry support.  Also what is size of the camera?  Exact same a runcam swift?  I'm wondering if I can fit this all into my Kopis 1 5inch.
2018-3-25
Use props
gtoews
lvl.3
Canada

Here's another, can the camera be mounted 90 degrees rotated, then transformed/corrected elsewhere?
2018-3-25
Use props
Kodachrome
lvl.1
Ireland

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2017-12-23 18:06

I have a very basic and possibly dumb question. I bought the DJI Google RE kit to add FPV to a DIY drone I'm building. FC is a Quadrino Nano and TX/RX is the FRSky V8.
What exactly is the point/benefit of connecting the Signal, UART up (if possible on the Quadrino, I know it has SBUS support of some sort)?  I'm just kinda confused as I cant see what this has to do with HD video broadcast and reception...
2018-5-15
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The UART is for telemetary data on the display.

So Sbus is of your going to use the inbuilt transmitter in Ocusync, remember if your using a 2.4Gjz radio controller you can’t use the Air system on 2.4 GHz too as it will completely cost out your RC singnal in no time.

So the alternative is to either put the Air system in 5Ghz that will give reduced range or use the built in system by connecting your radio to the Google’s RE via the trainer port and then the Sbus to your F.C.

The UART connections are socyou can see telemetary from your F.C. on the Google’s display.

2018-5-15
Use props
Kodachrome
lvl.1
Ireland

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2018-5-15 15:18
The UART is for telemetary data on the display.

So Sbus is of your going to use the inbuilt transmitter in Ocusync, remember if your using a 2.4Gjz radio controller you can’t use the Air system on 2.4 GHz too as it will completely cost out your RC singnal in no time.

Great thanks, that clears up that part.

I have a more "interesting"  follow on question that I just cannot comfortably answer with google.

- To use the Ocusync for RC control  via SBUS on my Multiwii based (Quadrino Nano) controller I just need to connect up the Ocusync Air mobule SBUS connectors to my Quadrino Nano AND connect my FrSKY powered Turnigy 9x transmitter (trainer mode) to the RE Goggles - correct?

If so, what happens to the FrSKY Receiver on the quad? Its a PWM receiver and doesnt receive or understand SBUS. Same as the Transmitter, its a DJT module which is PWM only.  Does the RE Goggles transcode/convert the RC signals to SBUS and therefore I dont have to scrap my existing build TX/RX AND can remove existing receiver from the quad?

If thats true, then how do the ESC  get their signals? I presume these are PWM too..
2018-5-17
Use props
luciens
Captain
  • >>>
United States

That's right. The existing receiver simply goes away. Its function is taken over by the R/C link in ocusync - it's transmitted out through the antennas in the goggles along with the video downlink. The control signals are inputted to the goggles via the trainer cord and the air unit supplies them to your flight controller via SBUS.

The nifty thing is it removes the entire extra R/C radio link of your transmitter and RX, which greatly simplifies the whole system.

The bad news, though, is the ocusync R/C link has a lot of latency. Presumably because the trainer port -> goggles connection is probably PWM or something like it (which I think most trainer port connections are on the typical R/C radio) and then there's likely the additional latency of digitizing it over the ocusync protocol. So you will notice more latency over against just using your FrSKY 2.4ghz R/C setup and the ocusync video by itself...
So don't throw away your FrSKY receiver until you test the ocusync R/C link for latency. On a small racing drone it might be too much. On my F550/Wookong FC, it's enough to notice over my former Futaba 7-10ms latency R/C link, but not enough to interfere with flying it, so I just use the ocusync....
2018-5-19
Use props
Kodachrome
lvl.1
Ireland

Excellent news thanks. Im hoping to connect it to a Hunter VTail 500 with big props and motors, so not a racing drone by a long shot!
Next challenge is seeing if the MultiWii based Quadrino Nano FC can take these SBUS signals. Lynxmotion claim to support only the Futaba brand SBUS.. confusing.
2018-5-20
Use props
TannaLDietrich
New

India

The world moves on technology that we can see everywhere as a proof of development. In this way, Ocysync system makes a wireless video and bearing many features like control of low latency video and low signal video. That invasion is very useful in 3D printing technology development because it saw many scopes and another side is service area of the printer business are getting more advanced.Ricoh printer support is planning to use this technology for giving better service to their clients
2018-6-21
Use props
Adrian Bear
New

Great review and video's, 1 quick question...whats the best antenna orientation for dual 5.8/2.4 Ghz and how do we get them oriented if we can't bend the shafts?
2018-7-7
Use props
Adrian Bear
New

Hi,
Great review and video's
1 quick question...whats the best antenna orientation for dual 5.8/2.4 Ghz and how do we get them oriented if we can't bend the shafts?

FYI, I've had issues with the ppm out port, so reverted to using SBus.

Adrian
2018-7-7
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Adrian Bear Posted at 2018-7-7 17:25
Hi,
Great review and video's
1 quick question...whats the best antenna orientation for dual 5.8/2.4 Ghz and how do we get them oriented if we can't bend the shafts?

Ideally you want to have them in a rabbit ears setup or like a V, as for how that is the challenge unfortunately.
2018-8-6
Use props
gtoews
lvl.3
Canada

Thanks for all the great info.  Are you sure the pagoda antennas are not for 5.8Ghz only?  I think so.
2019-5-21
Use props
gtoews
lvl.3
Canada

Thanks for all the great info.  Are you sure the pagoda antennas are not for 5.8Ghz only?  I think so.
2019-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules