Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
jittery video - 3rd mavic pro, all do this
1485 12 2017-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

what is this jitter in the mavic pro's video?:

This is my 3rd mavic pro that does this, 3 in a row right out of the box. Video is unusable. I'm giving up on the mavic and taking it back today, but just for information purposes, what on earth is this?

2017-12-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That looks strange.
Have never experienced this
2017-12-19
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Assume you are talking about the gimbal blip a couple secs in -- that's normal, most usually caused by a gust of wind or sudden navigation changes, especially in sports mode. If it happens all the time then that's a problem, typically an off-position gimbal mount and easily resolved by reseating the mount.
2017-12-19
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

well doesn't matter, I took the unit back and got a refund. I'll just use my P4P, assuming it doesn't come down with some problem. But as I said, 3 brand new units right in a row and all 3 did this exact same thing. That's a 100% failure rate.....
2017-12-19
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-12-19 12:54
Assume you are talking about the gimbal blip a couple secs in -- that's normal, most usually caused by a gust of wind or sudden navigation changes, especially in sports mode. If it happens all the time then that's a problem, typically an off-position gimbal mount and easily resolved by reseating the mount.

well I returned it so I guess it's a moot point for me now. But for the benefit of other mavic owners, that's interesting. I don't recall anything looking off or mismounted on the gimbal, but without it in hand I guess there's no way to tell .

This last one actually had a little jello whereas the first 2 units didn't. Seemed to do it more towards the beginning of a flight (none in Sport mode) and get a little better a few minutes in.

Well, no idea, but this may be useful for other mavic fliers..
2017-12-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Luciens, could you please tell me the temperature on that flight? As far as I know, if the temperature is quite cold, there might be an effect like this. We will suggest users try to take off when the drone has finished the prewarming and fly with the gimbal cover. If it is not related to the temperature, gust wind, the loosening of the anti-drop hooks might also cause this issue. Since you had returned the drone, I am sorry for the troubles that have been caused, will forward this video to our engineers to pay attention to, too. Thank you for bringing us the attention.
2017-12-19
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

It's look like props are not in balance
2017-12-20
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-19 23:12
Luciens, could you please tell me the temperature on that flight? As far as I know, if the temperature is quite cold, there might be an effect like this. We will suggest users try to take off when the drone has finished the prewarming and fly with the gimbal cover. If it is not related to the temperature, gust wind, the loosening of the anti-drop hooks might also cause this issue. Since you had returned the drone, I am sorry for the troubles that have been caused, will forward this video to our engineers to pay attention to, too. Thank you for bringing us the attention.

Hi Thor, it was around 40-45F. Above freezing but I was pretty ice cold flying in it anyway . And there was a quartering headwind from the left in that shot, but not too strong. Maybe 5 gusting to 10mph?

I had heard that low temps can cause this and it did seem to be worse when I was flying in colder weather. And the gimbal mounting looked fine to me, but who knows. I didn't experiment with flying with the gimbal cover on either, I guess I should have tried that....

Why would cold temps cause it do this I wonder?
2017-12-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

luciens Posted at 2017-12-20 04:41
Hi Thor, it was around 40-45F. Above freezing but I was pretty ice cold flying in it anyway . And there was a quartering headwind from the left in that shot, but not too strong. Maybe 5 gusting to 10mph?

I had heard that low temps can cause this and it did seem to be worse when I was flying in colder weather. And the gimbal mounting looked fine to me, but who knows. I didn't experiment with flying with the gimbal cover on either, I guess I should have tried that....

After dozens of testings, our engineers confirm that the camera can work well in the working temperature (32-104°F), the performance of it can not be guaranteed when the flying environment is out of this range.
2017-12-21
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-21 22:48
After dozens of testings, our engineers confirm that the camera can work well in the working temperature (32-104°F), the performance of it can not be guaranteed when the flying environment is out of this range.

Hi Thor, ok, then it was well within the operating temperature when I was flying it. It was definitely above freezing. So there must still be some defect?
2017-12-22
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-12-19 12:54

Thor mentioned the operating temp range, though I was still within it when I made this flight. I didn't think it was the gimbal on any of my mavic pros so never thought to try it with the gimbal cover on in flight. I know the cover blocks the cooling fan, which might actually have helped if it was simply too cold!

Maybe I'll have a go with the platinum version, which I'm interested in for the quiet running reasons, and see what happens there....
2017-12-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

luciens Posted at 2017-12-22 04:29
Hi Thor, ok, then it was well within the operating temperature when I was flying it. It was definitely above freezing. So there must still be some defect?

Then it might need to diagnose case by case. Thank you for understanding.
2017-12-22
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-22 23:55
Then it might need to diagnose case by case. Thank you for understanding.

Hi Thor, well all 3 of the machines I tried did this brand new out of the box, which indicates the problem happens in 100% of the cases . So it should be trivially easy to reproduce the problem in testing, given that every machine I tried had the problem DJI should have no trouble replicating it too.  It's winter here so I never got to see the results in warm temps, but 40-45F is well within the specified operating temperature....
2017-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules