Spark TakeOff Issue
4580 20 2017-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
foogie
lvl.1
Malaysia

Hey all,

Not too sure why I don't see this being reported in other countries, but here in Malaysia, plenty of users are affected by this strange takeoff issue:

Once it takes off, it goes up and down (sometimes hitting the ground). This happens despite a firmware update/refresh, IMU + Compass calibration, etc. etc. It's intermittent, so the confidence levels on flying these things in Malaysia is pretty low. Does not happen even once when I'm in Indonesia with the same drone strangely.

Anyone facing the same issue from a different country?
2017-12-19
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I have this with one of mine, in Thailand.
Only 3 times till now, but all with the same battery.

My Spark is now in for 'service'

2017-12-19
Use props
Sidd Finch
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256 ft
United States

Not sure what the issue is but could there be some kind of wifi interference? If there is an abundance of wifi in the area it might be interfering with the signal. I hope you can get the issue resolved.
2017-12-19
Use props
cannabenoid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 97274 ft
United States

Crazy to see that happen. I haven't experienced any issues like that with my Spark in the United States. Definitely going to pay attention to takeoffs more though.
2017-12-19
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

Sidd Finch Posted at 2017-12-19 08:10
Not sure what the issue is but could there be some kind of wifi interference? If there is an abundance of wifi in the area it might be interfering with the signal. I hope you can get the issue resolved.

For my three times, I can't think about that. On two locations I flew it just a battery change later without the issue. I have about 90 flights with the 'trouble maker', but had only 3 times this issue. I had more often my 'shaking' gimbal (height pumping ;-) problem. That was more my reason, for sending it in for service.
2017-12-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi all, to the user who has this issue, could you please try to change the propellers and do a compass, IMU calibration and test again? If it doesn't help, please kindly help to export the flight data and upload the files to Dropbox, I will forward to our engineers to confirm. Thank you so much for your help.

2017-12-20
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

just reinstall the SPARK firmware using the DJI assistant 2 PC software
Also calibrate the IMU and compass...
2017-12-20
Use props
Paul Lee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120623 ft
United Kingdom

Hello Foogie,

There has been a new update which claims to fix battery issues which were causing stability problems.
I would be interested to see if it fixes this Nyut Nyut problem...
Please respond if you update and it corrects this....

Date: 2017.12.21
Aircraft Firmware: V 01.00.0900
Remote Controller Firmware: V 01.00.0400
DJI GO 4 App iOS: V 4.1.22
DJI GO 4 App Android: V 4.1.22

What’s New?
Optimized battery management to improve stability.
2017-12-21
Use props
foogie
lvl.1
Malaysia

Paul Lee Posted at 2017-12-21 06:39
Hello Foogie,

There has been a new update which claims to fix battery issues which were causing stability problems.

Thanks all! Let me try with the new firmware and see.
2017-12-25
Use props
fansa6d9d300
lvl.3
United Kingdom

foogie Posted at 2017-12-25 07:06
Thanks all! Let me try with the new firmware and see.

funny thing is my spark when vertical does not stand up with the blades removed.
2017-12-25
Use props
foogie
lvl.1
Malaysia

fansa6d9d300 Posted at 2017-12-25 12:41
funny thing is my spark when vertical does not stand up with the blades removed.

Same here. Is that possibly causing this issue?
2018-1-2
Use props
Akshay Naik
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16191 ft
India

Even I am facing the same issue. DJI please do something.
2018-8-29
Use props
Joshua Fernandes
lvl.1

I have the same exact issue only difference is I always faced this issue in India since it started and when I travelled with it to Dubai where I purchased it the staff from Dji said there is nothing wrong with it and now when its back here with me I'm facing it again please help
2019-10-4
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>

Document it, video it, open a own topic .
Open a case with DJI, get them every video (link it ) about the issue
And hope that a mod jumps in and coordinatesthat (I think) did the trick in the end, that the Service could "find" the problem.

You still have warranty?
2019-10-4
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

No one has written here in a long time, but now unfortunately he is doing the same for me, and even worse!
The first incident happened late last summer: He took off uncertainly during a takeoff, as if he didn’t have enough strength. Then the problem disappeared. After 3 minutes of flying, I wanted to ascend, at which point he began to descend quickly without request, did not respond to anything, and landing in an unsuitable place, all the rotors broke. There were no error messages in the flight log!
I ordered new rotors and tried again yesterday.
Unfortunately, it had already fluctuated as it took off. In flight, when I pushed the stick up, it started to fall and then only then rose, sometimes unable to rise. After a short flight, he started to land from a height of 20m, very quickly. Luckily I was careful and it happened in the middle of a soccer field and it fell into the grass. He turned on his back, but it didn't hurt.
This could be some kind of power supply problem because I didn’t update the firmware and didn’t change anything and yet the problem came up as it did for others. I tried several batteries and the same error, so there is no error in the battery, or then all 3pcs became faulty.
I think oxidation, contact fault may be in the background.
It would be nice if the DJI would say anything about this because it no longer manufactures, the warranty is no longer there, I want to fix it because I don’t want to throw it away.
2020-7-10
Use props
warubikku
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1592264 ft
Philippines

Funny seeing this issue now.

I havent [osted in forever, and have replaced my batteries with all new stock.

I label my batteries by number 1,2,3, and i have noticed even on my last flight not an hour ago.

That with battery number 3, the spark did the up-down-up-down upon take off, its like you can keep trying to ascend, but it will do what it wants.

Landing, or thumping to the ground, shutting off the motors, then retsarting, and forcing the spark into the air, after a few seconds the issue diappears.

The flights right after that on battery 1, and 2, had zero issues.

So can we relate this really to a battery issue?

Ive calibrated the IMU, and flew the day before, and go tthe same issue.

The compass shows green, and i am in the countryside of the philippines, no wifi interfearence at all.

Will hook up to DJI assistant and redo everything, as reccomended, phone ap is up to date already.

If the result is posetive after using assistant to check everything out, i will post it here.

2020-7-11
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

warubikku Posted at 7-11 04:08
Funny seeing this issue now.

I havent [osted in forever, and have replaced my batteries with all new stock.

100% that this is not a software problem. I did the following:
- Drone reset
- firmware downgrade
- IMU calibration
- DJI Assistant 2, advanced IMU calibration
- Compass calibration
Neither helped. This error occurred with all three batteries.
Yesterday I couldn't even take off, it floated uncontrollably, writhing 10cm above the ground.
For the first time, I also found an error message in the flight log:
- Motor Obstructed
       - Motor is Blocked (repeated 6 times)
       -Motor is Blocked. Not Enough Force / ESC Error (repeated 32 times)
So not enough energy! This explains the fluctuation at takeoff and also why it falls down when I push the stick up.
Today I disassembled the Spark as shown on youtub and cleaned all the connectors with alcohol. In particular, the knife contacts of the batteries and the connectors leading from here to the motherboard.
After putting it together, it took off perfectly and worked properly, but the weather was very windy, so I didn’t try for a long time.
I still have to test tomorrow, but I'm optimistic.
So the problem starting after year 3 is caused by oxidation, aging connectors. It no longer receives enough current to accelerate and this causes the phenomenon.
2020-7-11
Use props
warubikku
Second Officer
Philippines

Jakab Gipsz Posted at 7-11 12:28
100% that this is not a software problem. I did the following:
- Drone reset
- firmware downgrade

Iv'e seen that, and things like that on youtube as well...

BUT...some/most of us find the issue stops, and the drone flys normally again for the rest of the outing.

If that was the case, oxidization/connectors, i don't think the spark would fly normally for other flights in one outing.

Well i'm no expert hah, just remarkable so many people are having the same issue, and there seems to be so many things that cured it.

I checked my logs, and have no errors, and i dont get any on screen alerts, when mine does it, it just stops, once i get going, and it doesnt do it again, after running 2 more batteries through it.

Gremlins everywhere >
2020-7-11
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

warubikku Posted at 7-11 18:03
Iv'e seen that, and things like that on youtube as well...

BUT...some/most of us find the issue stops, and the drone flys normally again for the rest of the outing.

The phenomenon for me also started by doing it with only one battery and only occasionally ...
But I took it out after the winter and it was already malfunctioning with all 3 batteries and constantly. The only possible explanation is oxidation, because it is not in its new age that the error occurs, it gradually deteriorates and cannot be repaired by software.
I’m also sure the problem starts with a single battery because, due to the different aging and different strengths of the batteries, the weakest happens to no longer get enough power (due to oxidation). And the phenomenon is more common in warm and near-sea (salty air) countries.
2020-7-12
Use props
warubikku
Second Officer
Philippines

Jakab Gipsz Posted at 7-12 07:34
The phenomenon for me also started by doing it with only one battery and only occasionally ...
But I took it out after the winter and it was already malfunctioning with all 3 batteries and constantly. The only possible explanation is oxidation, because it is not in its new age that the error occurs, it gradually deteriorates and cannot be repaired by software.
I’m also sure the problem starts with a single battery because, due to the different aging and different strengths of the batteries, the weakest happens to no longer get enough power (due to oxidation). And the phenomenon is more common in warm and near-sea (salty air) countries.

EEhhhhhh...?

I hate to keep gumming up the boards with this subject but i am sure we would all like to know whats really causing it.

I dont think its oxidation (unless its the battery itself), because why would the issue suddenly stop after about 30 seconds of flight, and not continue on subsaquent batteries.

Oxidation just doesnt go away...ALL my batteries are new within a 60 day period, and i have only had an issue when #3 of the 3 does the first flight of an outing, it bobbles, does the up-down thing, and is hard to ascend...i land it, start it back up, and the issue is no more.

It just really doesnt seem it woul dbe oxidization or corrosion, because that would be permenent, and do it whenever the drone is active.

All the flights after it on batt 1, and 2 are flawless.

Since my last repply to this, i have flown all 3 batteries, and sure enough, after #3 bobbles, then i land, and restart, and its fine for the duration of the flight, and the other flights wth battery 1 and 2 are fine.

I am way off thinking this is a heat issue, i fly in metro manila philippines where everyday it's over 90' F, sometimes over 100' with the heat index, and the spark goes like a champ.

But again, the issue dissapears, after a land , and a restart, then never comes back through 2 other batteries.

Sorry for the novel post, but i am really trying to specific as to my particular experience with this issue.
2020-7-13
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

warubikku Posted at 7-13 16:15
EEhhhhhh...?

I hate to keep gumming up the boards with this subject but i am sure we would all like to know whats really causing it.

Certainly not the heat is causing the problem. When I wanted to fly it was 23C degrees and immediately during takeoff I started to jump up and down.
An electrician is my profession and I know that a contact fault can cause a fault that will go away. Oxidation increases the resistance and can cause heating, which causes the metal to expand and the contact to improve again.
Since you are explaining that after many attempts (firmware downgrade, app reinstall) it did not improve, then I disassembled and cleaned the connectors and the error was fixed immediately. It flies perfectly with each battery. If warming were to be responsible, it would still be wrong ...
2020-7-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules