Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Reducing the weight of a spark are less than 250 gramms!
42469 30 2017-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
musicman9
lvl.1

Russia

Very many peoples in Russia (and maybe in other countries) do not buy Spark because it weighs 300 grams. For all drones in the range from 250 grams to 30 kg, you need to register and record for flights! And this entails great problems in use! If you were able to ease Spark and make its weight less than 250 grams (240 grams for example), many would have bought it much more willingly than now! The jay DJI company could also think about it and sell lightweight parts as accessories ... for example, it could be a carbon top cap with carbon blades and rays ... And this would bring the company extra income ... and many people would get rid of problems with registration of drones! Who has any thoughts for make a Spark more lightweight?
2017-12-19
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

You need to check, if the weight is the only thing 'to lose' .
There is maybe the point 'all drones with a camera', without any weight limitation.
like in other countries!
2017-12-19
Use props
musicman9
lvl.1

Russia

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-12-19 09:17
You need to check, if the weight is the only thing 'to lose' .
There is maybe the point 'all drones with a camera', without any weight limitation.
like in other countries!

It is checked for Russia! by the way, in England the same thing!
2017-12-19
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

musicman9 Posted at 2017-12-19 09:22
It is checked for Russia! by the way, in England the same thing!

Lucky you!
2017-12-19
Use props
Bright Spark
First Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Would be wonderful to be exempt.(UK)
But quite an ask to lose 50 grams I would guess.
But what I really want is access to flying areas.
How this could ever occur eludes me.
2017-12-19
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-12-19 09:49
Would be wonderful to be exempt.(UK)
But quite an ask to lose 50 grams I would guess.
But what I really want is access to flying areas.

The italians are lucky!
They need only <300g but with prop guards.
There was a topic here, someone made a expensive lightweight prop guard set for the Spark
but <300 gramms
2017-12-19
Use props
musicman9
lvl.1

Russia

I think these details, marked with arrows, can easily be lighten! We need to win just over 50 grams!
2017-12-19
Use props
Hecate
Second Officer
Canada

I have already reduced the spark to 248 grams with a 10.5 min flying time. A lighter battery is key and it is not easy to find the 3.8 volt cell at the moment. One has to use the DevTools and change the battery settings to a none-DJI battery and change the min voltage parameter. Only one little challenge that can be easily overcome and that is soldering copper wire to the aluminum contacts of the original DJI battery PCB.
Looking at the sparks capabilities, the first incident that happens with a  <250 gram spark  might result in the rules being changed to 150 grams.Takes a long time to figure out mods for weight reduction but finally drone #12 shoots in 4K and comes in at 242 grams with a 20 min fly time.
2017-12-19
Use props
heliman
First Officer
Denmark

Epic! I hope nothing cuts off at low voltage.
2017-12-19
Use props
musicman9
lvl.1

Russia

Hecate Posted at 2017-12-19 10:35
I have already reduced the spark to 248 grams with a 10.5 min flying time. A lighter battery is key and it is not easy to find the 3.8 volt cell at the moment. One has to use the DevTools and change the battery settings to a none-DJI battery and change the min voltage parameter. Only one little challenge that can be easily overcome and that is soldering copper wire to the aluminum contacts of the original DJI battery PCB.
Looking at the sparks capabilities, the first incident that happens with a

Yes, I think that battery will be make more lighter!
2017-12-19
Use props
musicman9
lvl.1

Russia

I'm curious what the DJI company thinks about it...) May be DJI can make special light pack for Spark? If this is possible, DJI will receive not only additional income, but also additional respect from all users of Russia and other countries! In addition, if the weight decreases, and the battery capacity remains the same, the Spark will fly longer!
2017-12-19
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

musicman9 Posted at 2017-12-19 10:58
I'm curious what the DJI company thinks about it...) May be DJI can make special light pack for Spark? If this is possible, DJI will receive not only additional income, but also additional respect from all users of Russia and other countries! In addition, if the weight decreases, and the battery capacity remains the same, the Spark will fly longer!

Thanks for your attention. I think lighter weight may be affected by wind easier. And I would forward your requirement to our engineers.
2017-12-24
Use props
deniscarl.gmail
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26001 ft
Canada

I have already reduced the spark to 248 grams with a 10.5 min flying time. A lighter battery is key and it is not easy to find the 3.8 volt cell at the moment. One has to use the DevTools and change the battery settings to a none-DJI battery and change the min voltage parameter. Only one little challenge that can be easily overcome and that is soldering copper wire to the aluminum contacts of the original DJI battery PCB.

OMG! Would you consider selling those 248 grams Sparks?
2017-12-31
Use props
fansf79d3a66
New
Canada

I would buy a lightweight kit in a heartbeat!
2018-1-28
Use props
MaxBDS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 161437 ft
Italy

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-12-19 10:09
The italians are lucky!
They need only

Yes we are lucky!
This is a link where a lightening kit (<300gr) is shown:
https://www.dronezine.it/50977/r ... -spark-droni-sport/
Drone ON!
MaxBDS
2018-1-28
Use props
ferdiaz
New
Flight distance : 3655 ft
Spain

Hello, I think it is a very important fact what you have achieved. Could you do a tutorial  how to do it ?.
I think it would be very beneficial for everyone.
Thank you very much
2018-2-9
Use props
Richard Murray
New

Please make a weight reduction kit for spark to get it to 350g. Probably just a lighter battery so I can use it for it's intended use in Canada. Please
2019-9-4
Use props
Richard Murray
New

Richard Murray Posted at 9-4 19:50
Please make a weight reduction kit for spark to get it to 350g. Probably just a lighter battery so I can use it for it's intended use in Canada. Please

*250g weight
2019-9-4
Use props
ssylca44
Captain
Flight distance : 434721 ft

A very good proposal Musicman9. Cheers
2019-9-6
Use props
ssylca44
Captain

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-12-19 10:09
The italians are lucky!
They need only

Canada is <250g!
2019-9-6
Use props
ssylca44
Captain

Quite right!
2019-9-6
Use props
H. Arif - Nobody
First Officer
Flight distance : 430364 ft

In Canada, if you live practically anywhere near the city, you wont be able to fly.
2019-9-15
Use props
Johnny C!
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44839 ft

Any improvements to the weight of the Spark would
increase the flight times for standard batteries for
everyone else. I am interested in researching this,
as well.

It might be worth contacting Master Air Screw
to see if they are interested in producing a light
weight prop variant. I just looked at their website
and the weight of their current line of Spark props
are not listed, so there is a chance there is some
weight reduction already available. I will try to
call them later today to inquire.

Edit to add: I just sent them an inquiry through
their website.

Good luck!

John

2019-9-20
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>

What regulation does to certain people.  It's like a class competition race.  Meanwhile, there will be people who fly way heavier drones with no experience, no registration, no license, etc.
2019-9-20
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

There are rumours of a Mavic Mini weighing in at 249g...
2019-9-20
Use props
ssylca44
Captain

A J Posted at 9-20 03:52
There are rumours of a Mavic Mini weighing in at 249g...

Just rumours, I doubt this will ever happen.
2019-9-21
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

ssylca44 Posted at 9-21 06:35
Just rumours, I doubt this will ever happen.

Never say never
2019-9-21
Use props
JohnnyElvis
lvl.1

Austria

Hi Guys,

since the <250g regulations will affect me soon as well, I'd also like to "add some lightness" to my drone. According to various channels I was able to gather some information about component weights. Maybe someone can help me to finish/double check the table below.

Take off weight - 303g

Middle Frame (with battery adapter, motor wires, antennas) - 46,6g
Upper Shell - 10g
Bottom Motor cover - 1g each
Propeller - 1,25g each
Core Board (no fan) - 70g
Heat sink - 4g
Gimbal/Camera - ???
Front Sensors - ???
Bottom Sensors - ???
Battery (no housing) - 80g
Battery Housing (bottom) - 10g
Battery Housing (top) - 4g

My idea is to transplant the electronics into a new body. Or to be more precise a skeleton, housing will probably be a fragile mix of balsa wood and plastic bag. Battery will probably end up as "non removable". Unfortunately I'm missing information about the exact angles of motors. I'm also not quite sure about a safe sizing of arms (thickness). Maybe you can help me brainstorm and provide some ideas

2019-11-22
Use props
fansfd422415
Canada

JohnnyElvis Posted at 11-22 07:50
Hi Guys,

since the

Now you're on to something!! Does anyone know the weight of JUST the body that holds everything! I'd like to compare that weight with a carbon fiber frame. If there is sufficient difference (those arms look like overkill and could have been metal tubes or something?) maybe I will do a Frankenstein and move everything over to that frame.
2019-11-23
Use props
JohnnyElvis
lvl.1

Austria

After long research I'll give up on this project. I was unable to find any cost effective alternatives for OEM parts. It appears to be cheaper to get the license for heavier machinery and simply avoid being identified in case of human error during flight maneuvers

Sorry & good luck!
2020-2-6
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Remove battery and props?
2020-2-14
Use props
Advanced