which one would you rather getting the spark or Mavic pro

for myself, I'll choose SPARK
2017-12-19
Use props
Virgil Quick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1074104 ft
United States

I think it all depends on what your expectations/requirements are.  Also, what your experience level is.  
2017-12-19
Use props
Djay101
lvl.2
Australia

Virgil Quick Posted at 2017-12-19 15:52
I think it all depends on what your expectations/requirements are.  Also, what your experience level is.

in Australia, DJI Mavic is $1000 more so the spark is cheap and awesome nearly everyone wants 4k video on spark but for me I'm lucky enough to even get a 1080p video result from my internet on youtube won't even give me that 1080p resolution
2017-12-19
Use props
Djay101
lvl.2
Australia

Djay101 Posted at 2017-12-19 16:01
in Australia, DJI Mavic is $1000 more so the spark is cheap and awesome nearly everyone wants 4k video on spark but for me I'm lucky enough to even get a 1080p video result from my internet on youtube won't even give me that 1080p resolution

By the way, im still saving up for the spark im soon getting it
2017-12-19
Use props
Todd in Chicago
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513757 ft
United States

I purchased the Spark to start out with the intent to move up to the Mavic Pro, and now would actually just go to the Mavic Pro Platinum.  Now, with that being said, the Spark is a wonderful drone and performs admirably.  For me, the Mavic will give me a few advantages:

Speed - faster to get where I want to be
3 axis gimbal and higher quality video - This is just better ;-)
Range - Using the proprietary DJI transmission protocol I'll get better range, not so much as I need to go miles, but I believe should provide a more stable connection at longer distances
Battery life - combined with speed, I'll have more useful battery life to plan better video/shots, or just explore
Noise - from what I've heard, the Mavic Pro Platinum is actually quieter than the Spark

What I think the Spark has going for it which is really cool, is that is unassuming.  You can go to a park and pull out your Spark, and although it may create some interest, it's not a big deal.  For the uncleansed, it looks like a toy; little do they know!  It really draws the least amount of attention as far as I'm concerned.  Although I do not own a Mavic (yet), I have held one in person.  It just looks to me that when the arms are extended, it looks like a "real" drone, and that can create tensions with people.

So, I seriously think there is room for both and that's what I intend to do.  I am waiting until sometime in the Spring for the Mavic Pro Platinum or some new version (Mavie Pro 2?) if it is out by then.  I would have pulled the trigger on one during one of these sales, but NOBODY was selling them at a discount, and not that many people seem to have stock anyway.

If I'm in a wide open area with very few people around, I'll fly the Mavic (and then probably fly the Spark anyway!).  If I'm in an area where I don't really want to draw attention to my activities, I'll fly the Spark.

That's my running theory....

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
2017-12-19
Use props
Lyons90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164528 ft
Australia

Djay101 Posted at 2017-12-19 16:01
in Australia, DJI Mavic is $1000 more so the spark is cheap and awesome nearly everyone wants 4k video on spark but for me I'm lucky enough to even get a 1080p video result from my internet on youtube won't even give me that 1080p resolution

I don't need 4k because my eyes don't function well enough haha

I bought the Spark because I primarily wanted to find fishing spots. Being able to launch and land from my hand was the winning factor.
My brother got the Mavic because he wanted to film motorbikes.

We are both happy with our decisions based on our individual requirements
2017-12-19
Use props
xfirf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 194911 ft
Germany

I´ve chosen the spark because its much cheaper and more portable.

1. one more detailed:
I´m pretty sure I will not use it really often, so spending more money would be wasted money.

2. the weight / size
Very often we are traveling with hand-luggage only and then every gram counts twice. :-) From the folded size mavic and spark are almost even. But the weight of the spark is much better, as I can add several batteries and more equipment - e.g. my pocket-camera too.

And as "the best camera is the one you have with you" I´m also fine with jpg-only. I switched even with my Sony a6000 and rx100III to jpg when shooting at day. Only on night-shots I still use raw. And flying with drones at night is not allowed in Germany, and additionally it would be difficult to shoot longtime exposures with the winds going.
2017-12-19
Use props
Ardenno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1877910 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Both
2017-12-19
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, Djay. I would recommend you check the specs from our website for your reference: https://www.dji.com/products/com ... dsite&from=nav. Thanks for your support.
2017-12-19
Use props
Djay101
lvl.2
Australia

xfirf_ Posted at 2017-12-19 22:45
I´ve chosen the spark because its much cheaper and more portable.

1. one more detailed:

Im with you
2017-12-20
Use props
Djay101
lvl.2
Australia

I guess at the end it just comes to requirements and Opinions of everyone's thoughts
2017-12-20
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

I like the Spark for its size and toy like appearance.  If I had the Mavic, I would not be flying any different.  My videos from it would be as if from a Spark in quality and in where the shots are taken from.  I am not into landscape shots so the advantages of the Mavic don't apply.  The Mavic, while interesting, would be wasted money.

I am betting that parts and replacement drones are cheaper with the Spark.  The thought came to me while watching videos of Mavics crashing into balconies and being fished out of lakes.
2017-12-20
Use props
Djay101
lvl.2
Australia

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions really appreciated it
2017-12-22
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeppers! Both! Plus a Phantom 4 Plus! And an Inspire 2 as soon as I determine the wife won't kill me in my sleep for buying it.
2017-12-22
Use props
czechmark01
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1101673 ft
  • >>>
United States

I chose the Spark as my intro to drones. So far it’s really fun to fly but I can easily visualize a Mavic in my future. I think drones are the 21st century version of electric trains. . . .
2017-12-22
Use props
Neeon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 453701 ft
Fiji

I have a spark but i'm gonna get a mavic soon.
2017-12-22
Use props
Neeon
lvl.3
Fiji

2017-12-22
Use props
Neeon
lvl.3
Fiji

2017-12-22
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4
Flight distance : 403488 ft
United States

I am fortunate and blessed to have both.
I am retired now after 41 years on the job. During my years of working and raising my children, I would have never been able to afford such luxuries. I really struggled during those years,so I am grateful to enjoy this hobby now.
I love both and I think they each have their own specialties.

My dream is to possibly get a souped up Obsidian Phantom 4 Pro from Droneworld, maybe in a year or two.
2017-12-22
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You will soon grow out of the Spark, the Mavic Pro is the most capable of all of the DJI consumer offerings
It all depends on how much of a photographic tool you want ?
2017-12-22
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mavic.

I had the mavic pro and sold it after 500 miles of flying then turned around purchased the mavic pro platinum.  Purchased the spark two months ago and selling it next week and not replacing it.  The mavic takes better pictures than the spark and you can;t beat the compatibility of the mavic.
2017-12-22
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Both drones

2017-12-22
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mavic is king when it comes to portability.
2017-12-22
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rickyber Posted at 2017-12-22 20:56
I am fortunate and blessed to have both.
I am retired now after 41 years on the job. During my years of working and raising my children, I would have never been able to afford such luxuries. I really struggled during those years,so I am grateful to enjoy this hobby now.
I love both and I think they each have their own specialties.

Awesome to hear you are having fun flying both, but I would strongly suggest the inspire and you can easily pick up a slightly used one on ebay for the price of a new Phantom.  I've had the Phantom and lost it(long story river wins everytime) anyway Inspire is totally a different, but good beast.

God bless!
2017-12-22
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4
Flight distance : 403488 ft
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-12-22 22:36
Awesome to hear you are having fun flying both, but I would strongly suggest the inspire and you can easily pick up a slightly used one on ebay for the price of a new Phantom.  I've had the Phantom and lost it(long story river wins everytime) anyway Inspire is totally a different, but good beast.

God bless!

Thanks for the suggestion, Lucas. Something to think about.
2017-12-23
Use props
warrenski
lvl.4
South Africa

I debated this question for weeks, but decided on the Spark in the end. I thought Mavic Pro would've been a bit overkill considering I'm only a beginner, but I wish I'd had a little more foresight. Don't get me wrong, the Spark is great - I suppose I would've just preferred the longer flight time and prosumer features of the Mavic.
2017-12-23
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-12-22 07:12
Yeppers! Both! Plus a Phantom 4 Plus! And an Inspire 2 as soon as I determine the wife won't kill me in my sleep for buying it.

I have P4A, Mavic and Spark - Bought from eBay this week for a very good price and less than a month old. I missed the sport mode of the Spark which is better than the Mavic due to it's size. It's just so responsive and a shed load of fun and it's RED!!! My wife thinks that the P4A is up for sale.......I'm staying quiet.
2017-12-24
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I got both.  

Spark for sale!
2017-12-24
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

I am still a beginner. I have the spark and own it for 2 months now. I read a lot about the Mavic.
The only reasons I  would choose the Mavic over the Spark is the dual compass and MIU sensors and the longer battery time.
The Spark is a keeper to me.
If I have the extra money I probably will get the Mavic Alpine snow white which currently is selling for $1050 with 3 batteries and controller.
Maybe one day.
2017-12-24
Use props
djiuser_yxfdr03
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338222 ft
Canada

I'm with most others. Bought the spark to learn and train with. Will get mavic 2 when available. The spark is all I need and fills all requirements for me at this time tho! It's amazing!
2017-12-24
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

Spark, if it works.
I bought it for indoor flying and if it does what they claim it should be fun on the cold winter days.
Plan on a little war of the worlds with my n scale train. Pretty sure the spark will win, people and animals don’t stand a chance from the turbulence alone.
The Mavic would be overkill for indoors and I have Phantom and Autel for outdoors.
Destroying a 350 drone is acceptable compared to a 1k drone.
If it survives the winter I’ll post a video of the spark eating a 308, when we fight back.
2017-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules