artifacts in shadows on mavic video
2073 12 2017-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Narcolepticpug
lvl.1
Flight distance : 69593 ft
United States

i am having trouble figuring out the issue with this. I bought this drop the other day and have had this isue since the first video. i have tried resting the camera, i tried 4k 24 and 30 fps, 2.7 at 30 fps, 1080p and 30 and 24 fps. i continue to get this flicker in the shadows on all videos. is the drone defective or is there a setting i dont know about?
https://drive.google.com/open?id ... mT6-WPykpjZrbqgKDZN

2017-12-19
Use props
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

I can't watch the video but I assume you are talking about the GOP shimmer that happens every 8 frames, which is one of the many issues caused by the internal compression routine. You may be able to reduce the effect by turning the sharpness down, or you can apply temporal smooth in a video editor. If you have no skill and lots of money you can buy 'neat plugin' also. DJI will not let us pick the 60Mb/s bitrate that is used in 4K for use on 2K despite being asked for a year, so don't even think of asking!
2017-12-19
Use props
Narcolepticpug
lvl.1
United States

sigkill Posted at 2017-12-19 19:00
I can't watch the video but I assume you are talking about the GOP shimmer that happens every 8 frames, which is one of the many issues caused by the internal compression routine. You may be able to reduce the effect by turning the sharpness down, or you can apply temporal smooth in a video editor. If you have no skill and lots of money you can buy 'neat plugin' also. DJI will not let us pick the 60Mb/s bitrate that is used in 4K for use on 2K despite being asked for a year, so don't even think of asking!

so is this common on all mavics? if so im gonna return it.
2017-12-19
Use props
nottuppaware
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

For starters, your video is way over exposed. Unless you did that to show off the effect ?

There is def a lot of noise there in the shadows that doesn't happen on mine. Can you take a video correctly exposed and see if it does the same thing ?
Otherwise it might be a warranty case .
2017-12-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, the video is the one on the SD card, right? I will forward it to our engineers to confirm first. And if it is possible, please try to reset the camera settings and like nottuppaware mentioned on 4#, try to set a proper EV, also, try to shot in color "Vivid". See if it helps. Looking forward to your feedback.
2017-12-19
Use props
Narcolepticpug
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-19 21:13
Hi there, the video is the one on the SD card, right? I will forward it to our engineers to confirm first. And if it is possible, please try to reset the camera settings and like nottuppaware mentioned on 4#, try to set a proper EV, also, try to shot in color "Vivid". See if it helps. Looking forward to your feedback.

Yes this is the video from the SD card. i have tried to rest the camera settings. i have also tried adjusting the sharpness. i havent done any shots in 'Vivid' and i dont intend to, because i plan to color correct.  the only other video i have that hasnt been edited to try and remove some of the flicker im getting is here.
https://drive.google.com/open?id ... 4KDZydTpv852ZzvOFGY
This is the best condition that i could get.  However if the majority of a shot is in light. All the shadows, and textured areas tend to get that "snow" effect. Is this a typical issue with the mavic?
2017-12-19
Use props
Narcolepticpug
lvl.1
United States

nottuppaware Posted at 2017-12-19 20:18
For starters, your video is way over exposed. Unless you did that to show off the effect ?

There is def a lot of noise there in the shadows that doesn't happen on mine. Can you take a video correctly exposed and see if it does the same thing ?

i didnt intentional over expose the clip. this was the first test video i did, and as a base line I had it in auto. all the videos i have done to try to resolve the issue have been in auto. i have no problem putting the camera in manual(i have plenty of photography experience) but i feel like the best way to resolve athe issue is to resolve it in auto. I have never had a camera that couldnt shoot at the very least decent shots in auto.
2017-12-19
Use props
Narcolepticpug
lvl.1
United States

sigkill Posted at 2017-12-19 19:00
I can't watch the video but I assume you are talking about the GOP shimmer that happens every 8 frames, which is one of the many issues caused by the internal compression routine. You may be able to reduce the effect by turning the sharpness down, or you can apply temporal smooth in a video editor. If you have no skill and lots of money you can buy 'neat plugin' also. DJI will not let us pick the 60Mb/s bitrate that is used in 4K for use on 2K despite being asked for a year, so don't even think of asking!

neat plugin works for all but the worst situations. i have a video of myself standing in a parking lot(concrete not asphalt) and the issue is so bad in that shot that as the mavic pans the plugin creates some funky spots that freeze for a split second here and there. thank you for the tip about neat plugin. ill be using that on low light videos that i need high iso on all my cameras from now on. i have trashed more that a few videos i wish i could have saved over the years.
2017-12-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Narcolepticpug Posted at 2017-12-19 21:59
Yes this is the video from the SD card. i have tried to rest the camera settings. i have also tried adjusting the sharpness. i havent done any shots in 'Vivid' and i dont intend to, because i plan to color correct.  the only other video i have that hasnt been edited to try and remove some of the flicker im getting is here.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RlDnt8Mi-3ZKc4KDZydTpv852ZzvOFGY
This is the best condition that i could get.  However if the majority of a shot is in light. All the shadows, and textured areas tend to get that "snow" effect. Is this a typical issue with the mavic?

Thank you, after checking the second video you uploaded, I would recommend sending the drone back.
Please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.
2017-12-20
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Yes this is the video from the SD card. i have tried to rest the camera settings. i have also tried adjusting the sharpness. i havent done any shots in 'Vivid' and i dont intend to, because i plan to color correct.  the only other video i have that hasnt been edited to try and remove some of the flicker im getting is here.

if you intend to color grade try these settings:
dlog, with style 0,-2-2.
4K: 3840×2160 /30p
manual, iso 100, shutter 60
use nd filters if still over expose
2017-12-20
Use props
Bucefalo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 444944 ft
Italy

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-20 02:08
Thank you, after checking the second video you uploaded, I would recommend sending the drone back.
Please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.

dji Thor please help...
I sent back my mavic with same issue but dji europe wanna send it back cause "everything is normal"
case:
CAS-1303843-P0M9D7
video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XocnRkTpuaDnJhRjzf4i2l-_SJyLNWHQ/view?usp=drivesdk
I wrote a post in forum
thank you
2017-12-20
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Yes this is the video from the SD card. i have tried to rest the camera settings. i have also tried adjusting the sharpness. i havent done any shots in 'Vivid' and i dont intend to, because i plan to color correct.  the only other video i have that hasnt been edited to try and remove some of the flicker im getting is here.

I couldn't see what you were talking about in the first video, but can see it in both videos now that I've seen the second. That's something I've never seen anyone complain about -- hope you get it sorted soon.
2017-12-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Bucefalo Posted at 2017-12-20 03:48
dji Thor please help...
I sent back my mavic with same issue but dji europe wanna send it back cause "everything is normal"
case:

Hi Bucefalo, DJI Diana had forwarded the case to the local team to take care of, they will do the best to help. Please kindly wait patiently. Thank you.
2017-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules