Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What happened to the SOFT setting
1590 8 2015-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aknauer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 793041 ft
New Zealand

Is anybody else experiencing the same? Since the Firmware update yesterday, the SOFT setting seems to have no effect anymore.
I have been mainly shooting 3840x2160, soft, log. This rendered the best results in post-production at my main client.
Since today I'm getting a lot of aliasing with the same settings. I only found out later, so had no chance to test sharpness -2 and -3 in the field. Just on the bench here, with sub-optimal light, these settings seem to have no effect. Could you please double-check???
2015-4-17
Use props
aknauer
lvl.1
New Zealand

Update to my previous post.

I am convinced that the Sharpness settings have also been dealt with in the FW Update. That in itself is a good move, as the increments were far to large before.  The SOFT or -1 Setting until now was already visibly soft, -2 and -3 not really usable. Now the increments seem to be much smaller and not so noticabel on tablet or phone. Even -3 is not as soft as -1 was before - at least that is my impression.  It would have been nice to have this documented. Please Tahoe-Ed can you comment on this?
I have spent today shooting tests out in the field, and named each file according to it's settings.
In general Sharpness 0 still seems to be generating lots of aliases. I found -2 or even -3 acceptable.

The files will be here once the uploading has finished: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/90nit ... 3Q2sZz9m1C1cpa?dl=0

To really see what's going on you probably have to download the files of interest.
Feel free to use them as reference for the effects of different settings.
2015-4-17
Use props
markjacobs.talk
First Officer
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

aknauer@xtra.co Posted at 2015-4-18 14:56
Update to my previous post.

I am convinced that the Sharpness settings have also been dealt with in ...

Interesting - Keep us posted on this.
2015-4-18
Use props
aknauer
lvl.1
New Zealand

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-4-18 17:40
Interesting - Keep us posted on this.

Just to test I went back to the 10.0.7 app to make sure it wasn't app related. It isn't - same small increments in both, and very different from before.
What is your experience?
2015-4-18
Use props
markjacobs.talk
First Officer
United Kingdom

aknauer@xtra.co Posted at 2015-4-18 20:10
Just to test I went back to the 10.0.7 app to make sure it wasn't app related. It isn't - same sma ...

Yup - can confirm sharpness now actually useable in the minus ranges!!!! Increments are much smaller.
Would have actually been nice if DJI had documented this change since everybody was complaining about it!!!!!!
2015-4-18
Use props
aknauer
lvl.1
New Zealand

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-4-19 02:51
Yup - can confirm sharpness now actually useable in the minus ranges!!!! Increments are much small ...

Thank for confirming this. I'm amazed that yours is the only response. The output of the camera has changed considerably with this update - and no one notices / cares?
2015-4-19
Use props
zeitlinger
lvl.3
Bolivia

Hi aknauer,
I had big problems with the image quality in the first place. Then I got anew camera and the new firmware it works well now, so I thought its because of the new camera and not because of the firmware. The soft settings before were not usable. Now its really good.
I still would wish a higher bitrate - K relation.
2015-4-19
Use props
markjacobs.talk
First Officer
United Kingdom

aknauer@xtra.co Posted at 2015-4-20 06:19
Thank for confirming this. I'm amazed that yours is the only response. The output of the camera ha ...

I know...... Everybody was complaining about the over sharpening on zero and -1 being unusable.

Now it has been tweaked to give sensible increments and nobody has noticed !!

2015-4-20
Use props
Marktho1
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nice find! I completely gave up even trying - 1 -2 -3 sharpness because they were unusable. I will have to check it out. Thanks!
2015-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules