What to do when RC connectivity is lost during flight?
1345 22 2017-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Icarus77
lvl.1
Flight distance : 66043 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,
How should I react when I loose RC connectivity with the AC?
Today I had this issue (although I don't understand why - I was within 200m range, no interference, full charge, etc.) - the AC returned home and just hovered above my head for 20 minutes. During this time I couldn't do anythig... but wait until the batteries were drained the the AC will fall?

What are best practises for a situation like that? (Please note I am new to flying drones and this was my 4th-5th flight.)
Regards,

2017-12-20
Use props
Marty Markoe
First Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try restarting DJI GO. Try Sport Mode.
2017-12-20
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

What is your RTH operation set at? You have read the manual and know how to set it up yes???
2017-12-20
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

Marty Markoe Posted at 2017-12-20 04:15
Try restarting DJI GO. Try Sport Mode.

Are you serious???
2017-12-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

You have to setup RTH protocol in app, as far as telling the drone what to do when returning home. Something I strongly suggest especially because you’re a new flyer. Maybe watch a few tutorials.
2017-12-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hope that you have a strong GPS connection and have set your failsafe to RTH and the RTH altitude to be higher than the obstacles within the flight route back to the home point. Then all you have to do is sit tight and keep your fingers crossed...
2017-12-20
Use props
Icarus77
lvl.1
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2017-12-20 05:07
Hope that you have a strong GPS connection and have set your failsafe to RTH and the RTH altitude to be higher than the obstacles within the flight route back to the home point. Then all you have to do is sit tight and keep your fingers crossed...

Hi,
The question here was not why the AC does what it does - RTH works as expected. The question is - what can I do when all connectivity to AC is lost (RC).

Note that I didn't use the mobile so suggestion to restart DJI4 Go or turning on sport mode is...

Regarding GPS - that could actually be a valid point - but the last number next to the GPS icon I remember was 24 and I was in optimal conditions (good weather, zero interference, 360 view of sky, etc.)

Is disconnection of RC during a flight something that happens frequently?
2017-12-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Icarus77 Posted at 2017-12-20 06:32
Hi,
The question here was not why the AC does what it does - RTH works as expected. The question is - what can I do when all connectivity to AC is lost (RC).

With all due respect your RTH is not working correctly if the drone is hovering above your head for 20 minutes - the landing sequence is part of the RTH.
RTH is controlled by GPS/GLONASS satellite navigation and your home point needs to be set prior to take off. I would always use a device with my RC so that I know these settings are in place as part of my preflight checks. RTH fails when the GPS signal is weak or lost. The most satellites is typically 20 and it's the bar rather than the number you should go by.
RC disconnections are very rare - in fact, it's never happened to me on more than 1,000 flights with multiple DJI drones that I have owned.
2017-12-20
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Restarting Go 4 can often help with weirdness when you know the bird is in range. Of course, Sports Mode won't help when there's no connectivity.
2017-12-20
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Icarus77 Posted at 2017-12-20 06:32
Hi,

I would have rebooted the remote while the Mavic was hovering to see if the devices could reconnect.

I can't remember if you get any sort of warning on the remote when there's interference as you do when tethered to a phone or tablet -- did you see any such warning?

Some folks have regained lost connections by moving towards the location of the Mavic, either by getting back into range or out of a blocked/dead/interference zone, but that wouldn't have helped you in this case.
2017-12-20
Use props
Icarus77
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-12-20 08:14
I would have rebooted the remote while the Mavic was hovering to see if the devices could reconnect.

I can't remember if you get any sort of warning on the remote when there's interference as you do when tethered to a phone or tablet -- did you see any such warning?

This is exactly what I did - I have rebooted (switched it on/off) few times while the AC was hovering just 2m away from me (could not think of nothing else to do).

I didn't see any warning on the RC - and I didn't have the mobile attached.

Since, this is so rare - I'm thinking if I should replace the RC or not... I don't have too much flight time to see if this was just a one-off issue or not.
2017-12-20
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Icarus77 Posted at 2017-12-20 08:37
This is exactly what I did - I have rebooted (switched it on/off) few times while the AC was hovering just 2m away from me (could not think of nothing else to do).

I didn't see any warning on the RC - and I didn't have the mobile attached.

The remote by itself might not be cable of alerting users to interference problems, though I would expect it to -- it certainly is capable of alerting NFZ restrictions.

Did rebooting the Mavic solve the problem? If so, the issue may be in the Mavic instead of the remote.

FWIW I've never lost flight control connectivity except from signal blockage, but then I've never flown w/o an attached mobile device.
2017-12-20
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

20 mins hovering?, (if enough battery life) try rebooting the RC and hit the 'RTH' button on the RC. It'll start coming down. Always make sure you have plenty of battery juice on both RC, device and AC.  

How does connection become loose ? You mean the cable became disconnected?
2017-12-20
Use props
Thudd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1624787 ft
United States

Also, both antenna should be pointed UP. Perpendicular to the remote.
2017-12-20
Use props
Icarus77
lvl.1
Poland

Hi,
Again - I didn't use mobile so no cables involved...
Anyway - I would like to view some log files from this flight to further diagnose the case.
Will need to find out how to do that - (currently getting: Export failed! from DJI Assistant2 when trying the Black Box Save option)
2017-12-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Icarus77 Posted at 2017-12-20 23:34
Hi,
Again - I didn't use mobile so no cables involved...
Anyway - I would like to view some log files from this flight to further diagnose the case.

Do you still remember what was showing on the screen of the RC? It is not recommended to fly the drone without a mobile device attached to the RC.
2017-12-21
Use props
Icarus77
lvl.1
Poland

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-12-21 01:33
Do you still remember what was showing on the screen of the RC? It is not recommended to fly the drone without a mobile device attached to the RC.

Yes - all I saw was Connecting...
2017-12-21
Use props
Marty Markoe
First Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Should have said restart DJI go and then use sport mode for fine control to return home and or land. So yes, I am serious. Are you?
2017-12-21
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

First always set RTH to the app then what I have done in the past is reboot RC and even have reboot the app in the past and always worked for me.
2017-12-21
Use props
Icarus77
lvl.1
Poland

Marty Markoe Posted at 2017-12-21 04:46
Should have said restart DJI go and then use sport mode for fine control to return home and or land. So yes, I am serious. Are you?

Please don't waste time and resources of this forum - "use sport mode for fine control"?
"Should have restart DJI" => again - didn't use the DJI app... so this comment is absolutely pointless!

Clearly shows You know nothing about sport mode or just trying to make fun of new drone owners...
NOT serious....
2017-12-21
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-12-21 01:33
Do you still remember what was showing on the screen of the RC? It is not recommended to fly the drone without a mobile device attached to the RC.

Not that I would plan on flying without a mobile device connected, I didn't realize it wasn't recommended to fly without using a mobile device.

Thanks for that information!
2017-12-21
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Icarus77 Posted at 2017-12-21 01:47
Yes - all I saw was Connecting...

To ensure the safety, I would recommend flying the drone with the mobile device attached and checking the settings before take off. Personally, I always select RTH in the APP, then when the drone is disconnected and the RC shows connecting, the drone will trigger the RTH automatically. Besides, when it happens, you can also try to adjust the RC antennas and move the position of the RC, see if it can retrieve the signal.
2017-12-21
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

CycleParadise Posted at 2017-12-21 14:48
Not that I would plan on flying without a mobile device connected, I didn't realize it wasn't recommended to fly without using a mobile device.

Thanks for that information!

You are welcome, hope you can enjoy the drone, fly safe!
2017-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules